Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got rear ended. Is it totaled?

Is it totaled?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks really similar to mine (same model/trim too!) from awhile ago. I was actually rear ended by an F150 that got rear ended itself (so the truck who hit me absorbed most of the damage). Dashcam made insurance claims super easy; I just sent the video to the insurance of the party at fault and they pretty much took care of everything.

Some notes that might help you:
- I took my MYP to a local Tesla Collision Center vs an "Authorized Body Shop" because they are usually able to order parts faster
- It was a 2 month wait for the Collision Center to even have an opening to check my car for damage estimates. Luckily, my MYP was fully drivable so I was driving it around for 2 months with a wonky hatch.
- After I took the car in for an estimate, it was only about 2 weeks to order parts and do the actual repair
- Insurance originally estimated around $3k for damages but ended up paying close to $9k plus an additional $1k alone for my rental car
- I filed a "Diminished Value Claim" and was able to recoup an additional $2k.

Yours definitely looks worse than mine so I am expecting $12-18k if not totaled (its hard to tell without removing the rear bumper to see the subframe damage). Expect 2-4 months for repairs.

View attachment 838337

Dude, that is exactly what happened to me, but the truck was a Toyota Tacoma! The bumper of the Tacoma was the perfect height to hit the center of the hatch itself, no visible damage to rear quarter panels, rear bumper, rear fenders or anything other than the hatch itself, heII... my license plate was not even bent! My hatch will not open, so I can't check the latch point / sill area for damage... was your hatch operable?

My car is perfectly drivable other than the inconvenience of not being able to open the hatch... responsible party has accepted responsibility, but they are under-insured and the majority of the payout will go to the Tacoma owner. They have agreed to pay my deductible right away, and my own insurance "under insured" policy will cover the repair and then attempt to recover as much as they can from the responsible party's insurance company. I am going to try and get a significant reduced value claim since before the accident I could have sold the car for more than I paid for it... now with the accident on the carfax that isn't going to happen. My repair saga has just begun, and it is complicated by the fact that I am in the middle of moving 1000 miles from my current residence to where my new job is located.

Later,

Keith