Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I guess Ill be doing all my charging at mostly Public level 2 chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
given I have no way to charge at my apartment other than a extension cord (some one will say something eventually) I guess Ill be doing all my charging at mostly Public level 2 chargers. I figure at least 8hrs a week.

I did charge at home yesterday. ran an extension cord out my second story window out 50ft. 12hrs to near full charge from 74% (gave up at the last 2%) only ran it at 9amps. 2023 RWD model 3. One interesting thing I've found is, many chargers seem to be free for the first 1hr. Ive charged two times at different Blink chargers for less than 1hr each and got billed 0

oh, yeah. I use Plug share. I see some personal chargers listed as well, that seems weird though. Hey, can I plug into your charger? don't know how the literal plug sharing works.
I don't know either, but if someone has put their charger on the list, they gotta assume someone might be interested in using it, and probably include contact information. If there are a few particularly close to where you live, it can't hurt to ask. I know if I was looking at an 8 hour waste of time per week I'd do what I could to avoid that.

Reactions: garth_angst
Where in Oregon are you based?

I would not worry about battery degradation that much (though it will degrade quicker if you supercharger it often vs level 2 charger). Your battery has an 8 year (or something like that) warranty for a reason. I am in agreeance with the other poster above in saying using only L2 and having to waste time to charge your car slowly vs using a supercharger and getting it done in a 1/4 of the time is a complete waste of your time. Supercharge it and go home!

I also do not have home charging. I use a nearby ChargePoint DCFC (Level 3) CHAdeMO station for about an hour (100+ miles on my 2018 LR RWD) every few weeks; I don't drive that much anymore. That's 95% of the time, the other 5% is spent at an Urban (72kW) Supercharger. Been doing this for the last 3.5 years. Yes, CHAdeMO is a dying standard. Yes, the CHAdeMO adapter was expensive. Yes, the adapter is not being sold by Tesla anymore. But I'm getting my use out of it.

If your car is a recent vintage, it should be CCS-enabled. If so, you could buy the CCS adapter (currently $175 at the Tesla Store) and charge at any CCS station. If you happen to be near one of the WCEH (West Coast Electric Highway) stations, I've found most of them to be free.

oh, yeah. I use Plug share. I see some personal chargers listed as well, that seems weird though. Hey, can I plug into your charger? don't know how the literal plug sharing works.

Those generally date back to the early days of PlugShare - before there was much public infrastructure. Indeed I think it was one of the original motivations behind PlugShare. I doubt many people use that feature anymore.

If there is a nearby Supercharger (or CCS via the CCS adapter), just use it.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I did charge at home yesterday. ran an extension cord out my second story window out 50ft. 12hrs to near full charge from 74% (gave up at the last 2%) only ran it at 9amps. 2023 RWD model 3.
There a significant overhead of 3-400 Watts (~3a @ 120v), so limiting the rate to 9a only leaves you 6a actually going to the battery and makes for a pretty inefficient charge. Trying to charge to 100%, if that's what you meant by "near full charge", is also very inefficient with the last couple of percent taking a long time no matter what kind of charging you're using. Better to keep your max charge level lower.

Unless, you can walk/bike to home or work from a Level 2 station, or have some longer errands (1+hrs) to run near one, I'd plan on using the Supercharger fairly frequently. I wouldn't worry about your battery, after all what good is "saving" your battery if you can't use your car.