Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I had a minor accident :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Allstate. I recently made the switch. I've been hopping around because rates are outrageous here, and Allstate was the cheapest I could find ($5,500 per year for the Roadster and a 5-year old Subaru STi and a $2,000 deductible). See Insurance?

Ouch, I pay less than that for 7 cars and a motorcycle, including three teenage drivers! $500 deductible!

I have Chubb insurance and the cost for the tesla is about half of what you cited, and lower than my spare car Porsche hybrid Cayenne (an $85k car). The agent cites the car's high maneuverability, skill at "accident avoidance", and that most owners are "mature" better drivers who want to take care of their investment in the car as the reason. I suspect that it is lack of data on the car, and lack of teenagers driving it that are why.

I parallel parked in New Haven last October and someone backed right over the nose of my car. The 3M Starshield is a fantastic product. The nose looked like hell all scratched up... but in the end the NY team replaced the Stashield and gave a light polish to the underlying paint and Voila, for under $1,000 . A very worthwhile investment. I actually wish that the whole car was wrapped in the stuff.

Do the Yoko winter tires grip better? I have not had any issues all winter, thought this was a mild winter in new England.

I have Chubb insurance and the cost for the tesla is about half of what you cited, and lower than my spare car Porsche hybrid Cayenne (an $85k car). The agent cites the car's high maneuverability, skill at "accident avoidance", and that most owners are "mature" better drivers who want to take care of their investment in the car as the reason. I suspect that it is lack of data on the car, and lack of teenagers driving it that are why.

I parallel parked in New Haven last October and someone backed right over the nose of my car. The 3M Starshield is a fantastic product. The nose looked like hell all scratched up... but in the end the NY team replaced the Stashield and gave a light polish to the underlying paint and Voila, for under $1,000 . A very worthwhile investment. I actually wish that the whole car was wrapped in the stuff.

i had tesla apply starshield on my whole exterior plus the CF sill pieces. love it.

Initial estimate was $3k. Corrected estimate is now about $8k (mostly a labor rate correction). I should have the car back by April 5th. Confirmed the damage is limited to the bumper and lights (and minor stuff underneath those areas).

Initial estimate was $3k. Corrected estimate is now about $8k (mostly a labor rate correction). I should have the car back by April 5th. Confirmed the damage is limited to the bumper and lights (and minor stuff underneath those areas).
$5000 in labor!? That's incredible. I think I'd buy the parts and find a local repair shop to do the work.

I agree that sounds high. I had a minor scrape and the shop pulled the front bumper and repainted as good as new and reattached it for $450. It took 2.5 days. Now this is a local shop in a small town. But still?? So I would shop around.

PS thankfully I had no other damage.

*shrug* negotiated between the shop (which Tesla recommended) and insurance (and the cost differences don't impact me directly). The original estimate was billing out at like $24/hour vs. the negotiated $125 for working on an exotic.

Got the car back yesterday. It's like nothing happened! They (Prime Collision in W. Roxbury, MA) did an *excellent* job detailing the car -- getting stuff out of the paint that no one else had done.

Got the car back yesterday. It's like nothing happened! They (Prime Collision in W. Roxbury, MA) did an *excellent* job detailing the car -- getting stuff out of the paint that no one else had done.
Congrats! So glad you got your car back and again that everyone was ok after it happened. Sucked that it happened but nice to know everything worked out ok.