Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I had to drive a gasoline car yesterday. It was traumatic.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I had to take my wifes' 12 Hyundai Elantra for a ride yesterday because she said it was making noises.

That first mile was rough, and the rest of the ride wasn't much better, after 16 months and 33,000 miles in my Model 3.

1. I was flying down the hill near our house, at steadily increasing speed, until I remembered there's no regen. Apply brakes manually!
2. The headlights made a very yellow color compared to my 3's headlights.
3. The Model 3's electric pedal has a stiffer spring in it, when I'd step on the gas in her car, it'd go halfway to the floor too easily.
4. Having the instrument panel right in front of me.... a bit strange.
5. Shifting gears, the transmission never seemed to do it right.
6. And along with shifting gears, I turned on the windshield wipers twice while trying to put it in Reverse a couple times on the ride.
7. Now I know why she's so bad at backing into the driveway. No backup cam, and she has her outside mirrors aimed too low.

I'll stick with Tesla for my own cars!

I was visiting my Nephew in Texas last week. He has like a 2015 Nissan Sentra and wanted me to drive because he was tired. What a horrible experience! I've been driving cars with 300+hp for the last 12+ years. I forgot how gutless a normal car is. I assume this will only get worse when I get use to the linear acceleration and speed of my Model 3 Performance. Am I ever going to be able to rent a car again without complaining? Probably not. My wife is probably going to love that. :)

My wife has a 2014 Impala same year and similar mileage to my P85.
Worst thing about driving it is wrong wheel drive and having to turn a key and remembering to remove the key.
It is a nice car not a crappy car. ICE is not my preference but as others have said ICE was not your issue.

Now if I compare my 2005 Sierra with the heavy rust and higher mileage to driving either of our cars that is about scary but it isn't because of the ICE, ok well the poor merging speed is because of the ICE but the rest of the experience sucks because it is a crappy old truck.

Five years ago here, it was rare to see another Tesla. These days, I can sit at the bench overlooking the busy highway and see at least 3 Model 3's pass by in 15 minutes on their way to work.

What does the future hold?

Maybe, 10 years from now, I can sit in my wheelchair next to the bench and take a picture when my caregiver yells out "Look - look -there goes a Toyota Camry - remember those? And look, again, a Ford F-150", because everything is a Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
My wife rented a new Camry recently for her and her mom, and I got to drive it a little.

For the first several minutes I actually thought the engine had a serious issue, it sounded like a diesel to me.

I also though the acceleration was broken, foot to the floor, lots of noise, wait for it..... more noise.... Then finally some momentum.

Truly a bizarre experience. I actually half plan to rent an ICE car once a year just to enjoy all over again that first Tesla experience. :D

My wife rented a new Camry recently for her and her mom, and I got to drive it a little.

For the first several minutes I actually thought the engine had a serious issue, it sounded like a diesel to me.

I also though the acceleration was broken, foot to the floor, lots of noise, wait for it..... more noise.... Then finally some momentum.

Truly a bizarre experience. I actually half plan to rent an ICE car once a year just to enjoy all over again that first Tesla experience. :D
Before I bought my Tesla, my ICE car was in the shop a few times. I rented a Hyundai Elantra each time. My god, what a gutless piece of crap. Awful. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Yeesh, what an entitled group. #firstworldproblems

A 2012 Elantra has double the power needed to complete its mission, which is get its passengers from point A to point B safely. It’s also cost-effective, and uses proven technology that will last decades with even indifferent maintenance. Not everyone can afford a Tesla, And stepping out of the ivory tower every once in a while is useful to keep perspective on things.

“Traumatic” works for me. It’s such a horrible technology. Just think how much better the world would be if we had started making the transition 40 years ago.

Not sure how they would’ve done that… Lithium-ion batteries didn’t even exist in the 1970s. The first EVs used lead-acid batteries, and they were awful.

I feel blessed every day to be able to afford my Tesla, but I would happily swap for a 2002 Camry if it fit my needs better. I have an old 2004 Expedition that I use to tow my boat with, and driving it It’s hardly a “traumatic” experience.

A 2012 Elantra has double the power needed to complete its mission, which is get its passengers from point A to point B safely. It’s also cost-effective, and uses proven technology that will last decades with even indifferent maintenance. Not everyone can afford a Tesla, And stepping out of the ivory tower every once in a while is useful to keep perspective on things.

Not sure how they would’ve done that… Lithium-ion batteries didn’t even exist in the 1970s. The first EVs used lead-acid batteries, and they were awful.

I feel blessed every day to be able to afford my Tesla, but I would happily swap for a 2002 Camry if it fit my needs better. I have an old 2004 Expedition that I use to tow my boat with, and driving it It’s hardly a “traumatic” experience.
Interesting I have a 2004 Camry and 2001 Expedition that I have to take Prozac to drive. Not everyone’s wired the same.

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
It's a 2012 Elantra... Try a nice, modern ICE and you'd see a world of difference!

Nope, I just got done driving a 2019 Audi Q5 FULLY LOADED. It was...dreadful to drive, it was heavy as hell, sluggish off the line, I could feel every shift of the gears, braking was like slowing a tank. The sound system was amazing but that's it haha.

I'm absolutely spoiled by the simple things in the car, instant torque, single screen. People get in my car and say it's like sitting in a living room.

Nobody "needs" a Model 3. For 99% of people a $13k Chevy Spark would be enough to get from A to B. We don't buy new fancy cars out of necessity, we do it because it gives us some sort of joy. If you actually didn’t care about your car at all you'd just buy the cheapest car available that would get you from A to B.

Nobody "needs" a Model 3. For 99% of people a $13k Chevy Spark would be enough to get from A to B. We don't buy new fancy cars out of necessity, we do it because it gives us some sort of joy. If you actually didn’t care about your car at all you'd just buy the cheapest car available that would get you from A to B.
I’d be fine with a Spark it had similar safety specs as a Tesla.

Reactions: Petrocelli