Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I had to drive a gasoline car yesterday. It was traumatic.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to take my wifes' 12 Hyundai Elantra for a ride yesterday because she said it was making noises.

That first mile was rough, and the rest of the ride wasn't much better, after 16 months and 33,000 miles in my Model 3.

1. I was flying down the hill near our house, at steadily increasing speed, until I remembered there's no regen. Apply brakes manually!
2. The headlights made a very yellow color compared to my 3's headlights.
3. The Model 3's electric pedal has a stiffer spring in it, when I'd step on the gas in her car, it'd go halfway to the floor too easily.
4. Having the instrument panel right in front of me.... a bit strange.
5. Shifting gears, the transmission never seemed to do it right.
6. And along with shifting gears, I turned on the windshield wipers twice while trying to put it in Reverse a couple times on the ride.
7. Now I know why she's so bad at backing into the driveway. No backup cam, and she has her outside mirrors aimed too low.

I'll stick with Tesla for my own cars!

1. Try applying the brake with your foot, not manually. That’s your problem right there!

2. All brands have their own traditions. Hyundai does yellow on headlights, Tesla does it on screens.

3. Yeah, in general, stiff is better than limp.

4. Correct, should be to the side for max visibility.

5. Duh! Next time, pick a manual!

6. I thought on most Asian cars you’d have to engage imaginary D, not R to start the wipers. Are you sure you got this complaint correctly?

7. Nope, that’s not it! Any married man can attest to that.

Here all week, remember tot tip your waiters!

I just filled up after after a few months driving the Tesla. I can echo the fact that filling up is a pain and more smelly than I remember it. Lack of initial torque and tranny sluggishness feels weak for most of my driving. I feel the slight shake of the engine and noise. I also felt bad using the brakes so hard. That being said I quickly got used to it but it does feel like old technology and I would not be shopping for what feels like a model T... See what I did there :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Petrocelli
I've been in the Army for more than 13 years, so my perspective is a bit different. I've seen what "real" problems look like, and perhaps that triggered me a bit last night. I feel blessed every day for where I live and how comfortable my life is, but refuse to take that for granted.

Nobody "needs" a Model 3. For 99% of people a $13k Chevy Spark would be enough to get from A to B. We don't buy new fancy cars out of necessity, we do it because it gives us some sort of joy. If you actually didn’t care about your car at all you'd just buy the cheapest car available that would get you from A to B.

I'm actually the outlier, I purchased the model three because I needed it. I have a relatively rare disease that's taken over my life and is ending my career, as is taken much of the use of my hands from me. I bought my model three because of autopilot, without that trips more than 10 or 15 minutes would be a real problem for me. I'm beyond impressed with all things about it, but a far nicer car than I could normally justify otherwise.

I just filled up after after a few months driving the Tesla. I can echo the fact that filling up is a pain and more smelly than I remember it. Lack of initial torque and tranny sluggishness feels weak for most of my driving. I feel the slight shake of the engine and noise. I also felt bad using the brakes so hard. They being said I quickly got used to it but it does feel like old technology and I would not be shopping for what feels like a model T... See what I did there :)

The smell doesn't bother me. However, I really notice the price of gasoline, which is now over $4 a gallon. That is one of my primary motivators for wanting an EV.

I've been in the Army for more than 13 years, so my perspective is a bit different. I've seen what "real" problems look like, and perhaps that triggered me a bit last night. I feel blessed every day for where I live and how comfortable my life is, but refuse to take that for granted.

I'm actually the outlier, I purchased the model three because I needed it. I have a relatively rare disease that's taken over my life and is ending my career, as is taken much of the use of my hands from me. I bought my model three because of autopilot, without that trips more than 10 or 15 minutes would be a real problem for me. I'm beyond impressed with all things about it, but a far nicer car than I could normally justify otherwise.
What’s your perspective on our military being involved in the Middle East? Has it mostly been about oil in your perspective? I remember feeling guilting driving my parent’s gasser the day we started bombing and killing innocent people in the Gulf War. For me the trauma isn’t just from the lame driving experience of the ice cars.

What’s your perspective on our military being involved in the Middle East? Has it mostly been about oil in your perspective? I remember feeling guilting driving my parent’s gasser the day we started bombing and killing innocent people in the Gulf War. For me the trauma isn’t just from the lame driving experience of the ice cars.

To be honest, I've never seen it.

I only deployed to Afghanistan in 2006, and there is no oil to be had in that country. Recently I listen to some really informative podcasts featuring interviews from retired CIA officers from the 9/11 time period. What struck me was how quickly they needed to provide information after an attack out of left field that nobody saw coming, and they didn't have a good idea of what was going on in the Middle East.

I've read a lot about the oil industry in recent years, and don't see any logical case they would've had for invading Iraq or Afghanistan towards that end. Even hostile nations like Iran are happy to sell oil, assuming of course we would let them.

I'm extremely conflicted about how things are resolving Afghanistan… A peace agreement with the Taliban in would effectively turn that entire operation into my generation's Vietnam. But it was an ill-conceived mission from the start, and at some point writing off a bad decision might be in everyone's best interest.

While that was off topic. Sorry about that!

• Love
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Nope, I just got done driving a 2019 Audi Q5 FULLY LOADED. It was...dreadful to drive, it was heavy as hell, sluggish off the line, I could feel every shift of the gears, braking was like slowing a tank. The sound system was amazing but that's it haha.

I'm absolutely spoiled by the simple things in the car, instant torque, single screen. People get in my car and say it's like sitting in a living room.

Agreed. Bought my parents an 18 q5 last year and I loved it then. I drove it again a few weeks ago and it feels clunkier and more sluggish than I remember.

Back to OP, I think of driving or doing anything less than what your current standard is helps you to reset your perspective and appreciate what you have more. I drove a skoda over the summer and instead of hating on it vehemently, I appreciated that it could get me from point a to b confidently. Then when I came back to my model 3, it made me love it that much more.

Drove my wife's 2012 G37x this past week and had a lot of the same bad feelings. What used to feel like a brisk sedan now seems horrible in stop and go traffic. I guess it's called "ICE lag"? Yes it's a 2012 but has under 80k miles on it and has not been driven into the ground.

I'm waiting on the weather to clear and my hands to settle down and I'll be taking my boys to the lake. My 15-year-old expedition isn't anywhere as "nice" to drive as a Tesla, but that's not its purpose. It's going to get about 12 MPG towing the boat, but we're gonna have a great time instead of lamenting how much "better" my Tesla is.

20190825_210442789_iOS.jpg

Hey bro, I just had to stop and say Thank you. People like you and my Dad who also served in the Army are a blessing to the USA and the world. A motorcycle accident that nearly killed me kept me from following in his footsteps. After what our leaders put you (enlistees) thru in Iraq and Afghanistan, I'd take the accident and three months in the hospital all over again.
Blessings to you in your fight for your health, I'll always bet on an Army man!
Thank you again!!! :)

Yeesh, what an entitled group. #firstworldproblems

A 2012 Elantra has double the power needed to complete its mission, which is get its passengers from point A to point B safely. It’s also cost-effective, and uses proven technology that will last decades with even indifferent maintenance. Not everyone can afford a Tesla, And stepping out of the ivory tower every once in a while is useful to keep perspective on things.

Yes, looking back once in a while to remember where we came from can be useful.

Let's relive the experience of driving somewhere in my 1971 Plymouth Valiant:
(with some mods, such as a ported & polished head on the /6, 268 purple shaft cam, 450 Holley mechanical secondary, wide ratio 904 that I rebuilt, and Clifford street rod headers (which meant no carburetor heat in the winter, so I'd hook up a 4" aluminum dryer duct from the front header to the air cleaner intake) ).

1. Dig key out of pocket.
2. Put key in door, twist to unlock, remove key. Get in car.
3. Key in ignition, pump the gas, or do not pump the gas 0-1-2 times, depending on outside air temperature and if the engine was already hot or cold. Twist key, enjoy the sound of the Chrysler double gear reduction starter, and start engine.
4. Give engine 10 seconds to 10 minutes to warm up (depending on outside air temperature).
5. Pull the column shifter into R or D, foot on gas, off I go.
6. To switch from high to low beams, use the left foot on the floor mounted button switch.

And a big one for me, do steps 1-5 in about 30 seconds because I was busy playing World of Warcraft in the morning, and now I will be late for work if the roads have any amount of traffic on them. While the engine is running, hurriedly scrape the ice off the windshield and start driving while looking through an area of the windshield about 3 inches square because the defroster won't do anything until the engine warms up. Drive like a maniac, ignoring speed limits all the way to work,

I'd like to see a modern 18 year old try to start and drive it, especially in sub-freezing winter weather!

Yeah, Teslas have me spoiled to a much easier way of driving!

Recently I listen to some really informative podcasts featuring interviews from retired CIA officers from the 9/11 time period. What struck me was how quickly they needed to provide information after an attack out of left field that nobody saw coming, and they didn't have a good idea of what was going on in the Middle East.

I worked the first World Trade bombings in '93, not a surprise to us there was a second. The surprise would have been if there wasn't such an attack. If at first you don't succeed........We have had a long time to understand the middle east. We ain't even trying........

By the way, my neighbor has a Model A Ford he is always tinkering with. True story. Cool car but the summons and autopilot features really suck..........

Last edited: