Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hate closing the frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The red spot on the edge is exactly where they told me to push down when closing it when I took delivery. She said turn your hands around so your palms are on the edge of the frunk like as if I'm trying to open it, so basically right near the edge of it and to then press down. I had read before about beside the logo but she said no.

But doesn't matter where you close, I always feel the metal flexing a little. In fact, in the green spots, I feel like it flexes even more because it is more central in the panel.

Somebody else posted a technique that really changed doing this for me, as I didn't like closing it either because of the flex/fingerprints/etc.:

Make a fist, place it on the Tesla "T" so the bottom ridge of your hand is pressing across the top of the "T".
Place the flat of your other hand on top of your fist and slowly and gently lean in to it until it clicks closed.
This puts a gentle amount of force on the frunk lid, adds it gradually, and somewhat spreads it out to avoid making an indentation.

It works well enough IMO Tesla should add a reinforcement plate behind the "T" and make it standard procedure.

So I solved the issue of an extremely hard to close frunk by adjusting the two rubber stoppers on each side of the hood.

The below is what I found to be the best position / compromise between a good weatherproof seal and relatively easy closing of the hood. Try with your own to see what works best for you.

View attachment 325787

Hey man. This fix TOTALLY worked. I brought my car to the service centre just now, and the technician did exactly what you said and fixed it in 10 seconds. Frunk closes way more easily, and the hood doesn't stick out as much anymore. This forum is awesome!

When I picked my car up yesterday the service manager told me not to close it the way shown in Tesla training videos, he instead recommended putting my hands along the lip on either side of the logo, palms down almost like you're making a fist with your fingers curled and press straight down.

Seemed to work but freaked me the f*&^ out because it's not the way you are "supposed" to close it.

I expect next year we will see Tesla introduce a power close frunk, the current situation with the frunk as something people would use daily is not tenable in a luxury product.

The red spot on the edge is exactly where they told me to push down when closing it when I took delivery. She said turn your hands around so your palms are on the edge of the frunk like as if I'm trying to open it, so basically right near the edge of it and to then press down. I had read before about beside the logo but she said no.

I saw another SA show a customer the same thing. I felt bad at correcting him, but I said "if you look in the manual, it has that area highlighted in RED to NOT close it that way". He kind of ignored me, but the customer gave me the thumbs up.

I saw another SA show a customer the same thing. I felt bad at correcting him, but I said "if you look in the manual, it has that area highlighted in RED to NOT close it that way". He kind of ignored me, but the customer gave me the thumbs up.
I am glad it worked out. Honesty I don’t understand why they don’t adjust this as part of a pre-delivery check list , just by looking st this forum you can tell many cars are delivered poorly adjusted.

I think reading this darn thread has made me more confused then ever. I just can't believe there is so much confusion on closing the frunk. Elon Musk need to do a quick video tutorial on twitter to end all speculations.

How to FRUNK by Elon Musk

I think reading this darn thread has made me more confused then ever. I just can't believe there is so much confusion on closing the frunk. Elon Musk need to do a quick video tutorial on twitter to end all speculations.

How to FRUNK by Elon Musk

I don’t think there is much to be confused about, the manual it’s pretty clear on how to close it, and what might happen if you push somewhere else. If you still find it too hard to close you can adjust the plastic stoppers to make it easier, I described it above and someone else confirmed it with a service center.

Very cool, but I think I would worry that the constant additional tension on the aluminum would eventually result in distortion of the frunk lid, especially after multiple cycles of environmental heating and cooling.

That, and I wouldn’t want the lid to fly open at 75 MPH due to a latch malfunction. At least the video shows that there is decent visibility under the lid, when open, although at that speed, it would probably tear itself off of its hinges.

I tried the lifts in the video. I didn't like them, because the force was a little much, and the lift was too violent for my tastes. So I did some research and found some lifts that had less force. Bought them, and it's better.

As far as the hood flying open on a latch malfunction at 75 MPH, it would happen no matter what. The wind force would fling that frunk up so fast your head would swim.

Reactions: TT97
Interesting to see that the new owner's manual (Nov, 2018) includes a new recommendation for closing the frunk.

New:
Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 11.12.40 PM.png

Old:
Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 11.18.26 PM.png

Last edited:
Sad that closing the frunk is such a process that you have to worry about damaging your car. Amazing that, after all the complaints over the first Model S, that they continued the same procedure in the X and 3. There are different laws regarding the closing of the front "hood", so i understand it can't be like the trunk, but with most cars, you just drop the hood and it closes. Or, somewhat slam it and it closes. This thing, you end up with hand prints on a nice clean car and run the risk of missing the right spot and damaging the thing. Something that should be so simple made so complicated. On any of my Teslas, I never use the frunk for these reasons.