Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hate closing the frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason you cannot slam it like an ICE hood is the frunk is watertight against driving into rain and wind, the weather stripping will cause it not to catch, additionally, the hood is aluminum so there isn't the kind of weight you would get with a steel hood anyway.

And you don't leave handprints if you gently close with your closed fists on both sides of the logo. Isn't hard to open the frunk anyway, I tend to use the trunk over the frunk for everything that isn't to go food. It is nice to keep the food stink out of the car's interior.

-Randy

I miss the large frunk I had in my P85 but I still use the frunk in my 3 all the time. Now maybe because I owned an S and closing it is an non issue but I don't understand how gently pressing on both sides of the Tesla symbol is such a problem. I never had a problem adjusting from slamming a truck to gently closing it.

Now maybe because I owned an S and closing it is an non issue but I don't understand how gently pressing on both sides of the Tesla symbol is such a problem. I never had a problem adjusting from slamming a truck to gently closing it.

Something to keep in mind: some people likely have misadjusted frunks which are exceedingly difficult to latch closed. I am one of those people (though not officially diagnosed). I have the luxury of having access to try the frunk closure on other Model 3s owned by friends at my work, and it is extremely obvious that mine is not correct.

My hood also sits a few mm low at the front, which is probably related, as I probably have to provide greater compression of the weather seals and that takes enormous force. It is hard to say exactly how much, but I would estimate about 50 pounds, if not more. A small person would likely have great difficulty closing my frunk.

Needless to say, I’m worried about bending the hood, even when using proper technique. (Thanks to the person posting the link earlier - I had been instructed incorrectly at delivery - fortunately I don’t think I have damaged it.)

Hopefully they’ll send a ranger out to adjust the latch “catch” point. Have to avoid the San Diego service center (aka the Dust Bowl) like the plague. Can’t take it there for this unless it is fixed right away, otherwise it will be covered in dust.

Anyway, worth keeping this factor in mind when people complain about having to close the frunk - in some cases, it may be harder than it should be, and that may be why those people are annoyed by the frunk.

Reactions: RBowen
...And you don't leave handprints if you gently close with your closed fists on both sides of the logo. Isn't hard to open the frunk anyway, I tend to use the trunk over the frunk for everything that isn't to go food. It is nice to keep the food stink out of the car's interior.

-Randy

Problem with using closed fists for me is my ring. Pressing down with my fists would scratch my paint with my ring. I agree with the use you mentioned. I have put to go food in it. I have also used it for grocery store trips where I had a couple of small reusable grocery bags, and I hooked them on the bag hooks. The problem with the trunk is there is no place to secure things, so groceries, etc. tend to fly around back there. Especially the way I drive...:p

Interesting to see that the new owner's manual (Nov, 2018) includes a new recommendation for closing the frunk.

New:
View attachment 353365

Old:
View attachment 353366

Yeah, I don't like the new instructions either. I've been closer to being below the T but an inch or two from the edge, since that is how I was instructed to do it. But my front trunk is enormously difficult to close. Today, I tried the "new" instructions and I felt the hood give way a little under my palm, so I stopped and went back to the fallback location. No apparent damage fortunately.

I saw the instructions for the stoppers adjustment earlier in the thread, which would presumably fix the problem with difficult closing, but sounds like it would make my low hood even worse. So for now, everything is removed from the frunk, and I won't touch anything, until they adjust the latch position and fix both problems. Unfortunately you have to stay on hold for 40 minutes for the service center to talk to them about sending a ranger out. So that probably won't happen for a while!

Figured it'd be worth it if Tesla ever reads this stuff to throw my two cents in: yes, I am not a fan of the frunk design and how difficult it is to close (and open). I understand there are some restrictions however there has to be a better way. As a side note, during delivery my guy didn't even try to show me the frunk procedure, I had to go out of my way to extract the info from him.

My frunk is exceedingly difficult to close. When placing both hands in the exact position shown in the manual, both sides of the top hood require significant downforce that causes a slight buckling of the hood. This can’t be right, and makes the frunk useless as I don’t want to damage the paint or permanently deform the hood. In my opinion, as a vehicle and machine design engineer, this entire approach to the design of the frunk is a major design flaw and really ignores the human element of interaction with the machine. Tesla could have done so much better! This to me is the #1 design flaw and obvious mistake that Tesla made with the model 3. Now, I will say that they got petty much everything else right, I have no other complaints other than the frunk. Interestingly, my Roadster has the same requirement for the clamshell hatch times 2 (there are two latches on either side requiring a hand push on both sides). I have always given them a pass on this, however, the correct way to design a latching hood with gas springs is to ensure the kinematics provide an over center design, which provides down force when the hatch is near the close position, and provides up force when the hatch is near the fully up position. I have designed several hoods and this is the RIGHT way and should be the ONLY way to design a hood or hatch. The rear trunk on the model 3 and frunk are not optimal designs, the trunk requires you to throw the trunk down at a high velocity and release it at the last millisecond to get it to latch. Anyway, we are enjoying the car, just wish they would get over this theme of requiring human force to latch the frunk.

Does your hood sit too low when latched? If not, try adjusting the stoppers as indicated earlier in the thread. It didn’t work for me as that really isn’t the problem for me.

I’ll let you know what the Mobile Ranger does when he finally comes out to fix my front trunk. No word from them yet. Glad I don’t have a serious problem.

Reactions: aerodyne
I think the frunk is going to be a source of continued trouble for Tesla on a service and warranty level. I spoke with another 3 owner yesterday, just an average car buyer rather than a forum denizen, and while she loves her car, she has had some issues. I did not ask exactly what issues but I did notice that the frunk on her otherwise shiny new 3 was completely jacked up. It looked bent/bulged and would not close quite right. A frunk that requires attention is OK on a specialty car with attentive owners but it will not fly with people who are accustomed to basic honda/toyota/nissan vehicles.