Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hate closing the frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it's cold and wet after snow, dealing with closing the frunk is not fun. Not that it's fun when it's dry either. And you basically have to get a fob to conveniently get into the frunk or to open the passenger door (and can't put anything of value in trunk due to easy access/theft through back window) unless you want to mess with your phone all the time and bring it with you every time you exit the car.

And I've been told by two different folks connected with Tesla here the entirely opposite thing of one another as to where to place hands to close the frunk without damaging it. After using a car wash, I had water beyond the seal on the uneven hood into the frunk compartment where I had intended to store my laptop while running into stores, etc. This car is burdenous nightmare. Worry daily about whether or not they will be able to make the front end look even on this supposedly new item (they are charging me the new car price) that came with misaligned uneven fender/hood gaps and fender/bumper gaps and a driver door that doesn't easily close like a normal car does. A friend of mine looked at it and said he thought it was in an accident at the factory. Another friend viewed it and thought they shouldn't be selling a $60K car that has these issues. I agree, and dealing with the delivery staff here has been a nightmare and full of stress and strife. They conned me into keeping the car beyond 24 hours even though I told the delivery man to take it with him once he changed the 72 hours he had told me when he arrived to 24 hours at the end of his visit and knowing the front end was messed up, I knew I'd be best off returning it then. He then misled me the next day after I told him at least twice on recorded line (within 24 hours) that I want to return the car and asked him where do I bring it since he brought it from his house to mine. I even tried to reach the delivery manager on his direct line within the 24 hours and wasn't able to reach him. Supposedly the delivery person who was "helping out with deliveries" (solar sales person) was attempting to reach the delivery manager to see if he would fix the obvious things damaged. I assumed I had an extension since (a) I was led to believe that while still within the 24 hour period and (b) because we didn't have any information as to whether they could fix the front end misalignment or other obvious issues with the car.

The misaligned front is the first thing I noticed and brought to the delivery person's attention at my home. I then also after we washed it because it arrived very dirty told him that there was a rock chip in the headlight. He said that will happen when I take the highway later, not offering to fix it. I was filled with so much worry and disgust that I received an obviously defective machine that was not worth my money that I told him that I refuse delivery and to take it back. He didn't take me seriously, so I said it again with a loud voice, to where my neighbors could hear me. He then said it had to go into my garage and he put it in there.

I was told at service that they will not be able to make the front end look even or be to my satisfaction. About the door not closing like a normal car door should I was told "we'll take a look at that." No commitment to fix it. I don't care if they have to order me a whole new car, they should be fixing all of these things. And delivery man should have not pawned off on me his used key card holder and rubber cell phone mat, which he obviously did. After insisting was able to get new key card holder but they will not take back the car and accused me of lying when I told them that I told the delivery person to take the car back on the delivery day. I asked the delivery person to take the car back with him and he would not. Dealing with the tough people here at Tesla has been more than a nightmare and is making this ordinarily happy person suicidal. Their attitude and dishonesty has had the effect of sticking me with a car I don't want and they should have allowed me to return it during the 24 hour period. Or 72 hours since initially the delivery person told me I had that much time.

Also, they lied to me last week (a delivery manager) when I went there to insist on giving the car to them. They told me that the car was already registered, so I would lose the sales tax, plus 6%. So, I still have the car. I find out today that he lied and it was and still is not registered at the DMV in my name. Had they brought it there last week (Tesla brings them in physically) then it would be registered already. They misled me again in order to stick me with their defective piece of trash car with about 25 things wrong with it that I have not found on any new VWs, Audis, BMWs, or other cars.

Maybe I am just doing it wrong but I really hate closing the frunk. I really wish I could drop it from a known height, but I know that is a no-no. I can't tell you how many times I have placed my hands on the sides of the T logo and pressed firmly only to have it spring back and not latch. I worry about my ring scratching the hood and it ALWAYS leaves hand prints. This is undoubtedly not an example of Tesla's engineering brilliance at work.
I fixed the problem. I don't ever open it!

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
As far as finger prints go, I close it with a single closed fist over the logo. A Tesla tech told me that is how he does it and no finger prints. It's worked fine for me over the last few months. Though I would also prefer a soft close...

That's how I try to do it, but in the Tesla manual it says if you don't close the hood with two hands near the sides, there's a risk of bending the hood. Is this just extra conservative legal protection or do they actually bend that easily? Has anyone ever had a problem with a bent hood?

Is this just extra conservative legal protection or do they actually bend that easily? Has anyone ever had a problem with a bent hood?

They can bend. A dent guy I recently dealt with says he fixes them all the time and it's not easy. He said the best place to put your hands is wide, near where the bumper fender seam is.

Frunk Hands.png

• Informative
Reactions: zhu-