Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

I hate Gas

buttershrimp

Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode
Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2017
ATX
I'm starting a thread to ask, does anyone else find commercials for gas vehicles super annoying? They know they have a seriously inferior product, and yes, they have to sell cars....

I think being a Tesla owner is pretty much a 100 year old repeating of history.... this must be how the model T owner felt... with big clydesdale trying to slow the horseless carriage

Does anyone else have a good analogy for this? Maybe the fading of gas lanterns being propped up by big whale oil? You know, trolling after Edison's demon light?

I'm just saying, these commercials... I can't take it anymore... I mean, gas powered cars.... they suck. I'm just saying.

Rockster

Oct 22, 2013
McKinney, TX
Cottonseed oil was primarily used for candles. When it became obvious that electric lights were on their way to becoming commonplace, William Proctor and his brother-in-law, soap-maker James Gamble, began demonizing butter and lard to convince people to switch to one of the first commonly known fake foods: Crisco (CRystallized COttonseed oil), and the rise of trans fats began.

Who knows? Maybe they’ll somehow try to convince us that gasoline is food...

Joe F

Disruption is hard.
Sep 19, 2016
Outside Philly
I Agree with the Shrimpster, even though I still have 2 ICE dead dinosaur guzzlers in the stable. One is a Camry hybrid, so not quite as bad, but still bad enough. The other has been keeping the driveway shaded for the past 14 months.

Now, if only there was a compelling low priced Tesla available for the masses...

I'd be tempted to park outside a Big Three daily with a big sign on the car: "Free rides, inquire within" just for the referral credits. I'd love to see a Falcon Heavy launch. :)

Reactions: buttershrimp
Consider that food-grade oils are generaly refined using the same processes used for gasoline (Vegetable oil refining - Wikipedia), that's not too big a stretch. The refining of food grade oils, which strips out most of the nutritional value of the oil, takes what would otherwise be a healthy product and turns it into a shelf-stable product that meets the needs of production, shipping and storage, not health.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
I'm starting a thread to ask, does anyone else find commercials for gas vehicles super annoying? They know they have a seriously inferior product, and yes, they have to sell cars....

I think being a Tesla owner is pretty much a 100 year old repeating of history.... this must be how the model T owner felt... with big clydesdale trying to slow the horseless carriage

Does anyone else have a good analogy for this? Maybe the fading of gas lanterns being propped up by big whale oil? You know, trolling after Edison's demon light?

I'm just saying, these commercials... I can't take it anymore... I mean, gas powered cars.... they suck. I'm just saying.

I think that it's probably not the gasoline. It's probably the car commercials.

Car commercials tend to suck, because in order to make people spend excessive amounts of money on their particular thing that's really just like the things from other manufacturers they have to create an image, which in car commercials means a lot of bullshit.

When you watch a commercial and are not at all interested in the product, you become an advertising critic instead. Welcome to the car commercial haters club.

buttershrimp

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2017
ATX
I think that it's probably not the gasoline. It's probably the car commercials.

Car commercials tend to suck, because in order to make people spend excessive amounts of money on their particular thing that's really just like the things from other manufacturers they have to create an image, which in car commercials means a lot of bullshit.

When you watch a commercial and are not at all interested in the product, you become an advertising critic instead. Welcome to the car commercial haters club.
Is that like the haters ball by Dave Chapelle? I agree with you by the way...however, the thing that pisses me off is how bad the gasoline engine is compared to the electric drive train. It's nuts.

Reactions: gene and Mobius484

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
Cottonseed oil was primarily used for candles. When it became obvious that electric lights were on their way to becoming commonplace, William Proctor and his brother-in-law, soap-maker James Gamble, began demonizing butter and lard to convince people to switch to one of the first commonly known fake foods: Crisco (CRystallized COttonseed oil), and the rise of trans fats began.

I don't know about food but as first diesel and then gasoline sales drop, as we collectively burn a lot less of the oil we mine, the petro-chem industry is going to have a lot more margin on their stock material to work with to come up with new products.

Last edited:

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Clear Lake TX.
IMHO..

It’s probably that the masses are not knowledgeable on other alternatives that are on the market. There is really no valid option that exist other than the Tesla at the moment. There are no comfortable charging options with the current lineup. Heck, dealerships don’t’ even make chargers available to their customers that easy. I’ve even read here on some reports that sales person of non Tesla vehicles make mention to customers that they can use superchargers. So, most people are stuck with Gas for a long while.

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
IMHO..

It’s probably that the masses are not knowledgeable on other alternatives that are on the market. There is really no valid option that exist other than the Tesla at the moment. There are no comfortable charging options with the current lineup. Heck, dealerships don’t’ even make chargers available to their customers that easy. I’ve even read here on some reports that sales person of non Tesla vehicles make mention to customers that they can use superchargers. So, most people are stuck with Gas for a long while.

There are multiple viable options for "second vehicle" for anyone that has parking within cord's length of their home's wall. So basically anyone with a house, or semi-detached housing, and a driveway/garage.

For a vehicle you intend to ever drive outside of 90-100mi radius from your home, though, Tesla is near about it in most areas of the country. Even where it is possible you need unusual amounts of patience for your trip. So much so that I didn't even bother with the DC Fast option on our Bolt.

Reactions: gene

buttershrimp

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2017
ATX
How about gas commercials? I really hate this one. :mad:
This is a perfect video for my little thread here.... It encapsulates the rage I feel towards the purveyors of the gasoline engine.... (and I'm not even that much of an environmentalist, but grow more and more into one each day).... The advertising budget on that video alone tells me how much money is to be made by these companies simply clinging to their share of market that is about to die. I feel for the workers in these industries.... they are good people, looking for work, but now that electric cars are in everyone's future, it just seems really crappy.

7 ingredients, jesus.... I will say, the advertiser is smart.

Reactions: gene

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC