Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hate this topic... Taxes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got it for my Volt several years ago using TurboTax, and my Taxes have been accepted this year with the full $7500 for my X.

You need to have enough liability and AMT can sometimes get in the way for some people, but it's not that hard generally.

So, if my income tax liability is 6,000 and I get credit of 2000 approx. from H&R block software... I should use different software?

How do you have a P100D and only have a $6000 income tax liability?

Do you mean additional taxes due in April? (Over and above what you paid throughout the year?)

(There of course may be actual reasons for this, e.g. retirement, but it helps for the sake of this specific question to just be clear which scenario you mean).

stop cheaping out on your tax preparation. some low end software that you bought to save a few bucks apparently isn't sophisticated enough to do complex returns.
that said. in order to obtain the tax credit you need to have a tax liability, could it be that you don't have enough of a liability this year? if so I believe you can carry forward the credit.
you might want to consult a professional tax planner for a more complete assessment.

Back when we bought our Volt in 2012, we got the $7500 tax credit, but some of the available tax software programs at the time could not handle the credit properly. Assuming you had at least $7500 tax liability, If you can't figure out how to get the credit properly, try a different tax program.

BTW, how close is the Chevrolet to meeting the production cap on the full $7500 credit? Have to take that into account also, whenever they reach that point (applies only to Volt/Bolt buyers).