Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hate to admit this .. but ..

Which car is nicer?

• Model 3

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Model S

Votes: 71 78.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Not counting the price, I sorta like Model 3 more than Model S.

Reasons -
1. That big glass, seating position
2. Simpler controls (and Elon said spaceship like)
3. Probably more efficient
4. Smaller, easier to park, more city friendly
5. Probably cheaper to own (and buy) - fine considering price too
6. Door handles
7. Wheel choices

MS has one big plus over M3 though -
Hatchback.

Draw -
The nose is ugly in both.

Anyone else feel this way or its just me?

Reasons -
1. That big glass, seating position
2. Simpler controls (and Elon said spaceship like)
3. Probably more efficient
4. Smaller, easier to park, more city friendly
5. Probably cheaper to own (and buy) - fine considering price too
6. Door handles
7. Wheel choices

Hatchback.

Draw -

I like the Model 3 over the Model S for exactly one reason:

I hope it will fit in my garage that was built for a Model T in 1923 and I do not need such a large car driving around by myself.

I guess that is two reasons....

Different cars for different people, nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I prefer the S just because it's bigger. I like big, and I like the Model S because I can drive a big car without paying a fortune for gasoline. I like having the third row seats, and I like having an immense amount of cargo space.

Sometimes I park it (or attempt to park it) and I see the disadvantage of size. But overall it's a win for me. I'm not surprised if some people will outright prefer the 3 even ignoring the price difference, but not me.

I too sometimes think the Model S is too big as a daily driver. But I am loath to leave it rotting in a garage 5 days a week when it is such a joy to drive. Public transportation in NYC is often faster than driving here in NYC, but not always. and the Model S will always win on comfort so I will use my Model S as a daily driver and mostly enjoy doing so.

and I will say this... the Model S is the best road trip car ever. the larger size is AMAZING for road trips.

In fairness you're comparing an idea to an actual car.
Probably a big part of it. It's easy to say something you haven't driven looks great, but what happens if, for example, #1 and #2 on OP's list combine to result in not being able to see the display sometimes when it's sunny due to glare. Will they still be #1 and #2, then? And so forth.

The 3 looks great, IMO, and I've reserved one, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

the only way I see the Model 3 being nicer is if you can't afford a Model S.
I'm not so sure. I think there's a very real chance that the Model 3 exceeds the Model S in many ways at launch. Tesla is improving rapidly, and the Model S is already a 4-5 year old design at best.

That's not unusual, though. Many automakers have points after refreshes of their base models where they're better equipped and cheaper than their larger models.

considering the IMHO the 3 is still only a concept I prefer the model S because it is real and can be owned and driven right now. when the 3s are actually hitting the roads it will be time to take a closer look at what each car has to offer.

To each there own on choices.
  • M3 intrigues me for it's smaller size. The massive length and width of my MS is beyond anything I'd thought I'd ever own, and I will never like parking it as much as I have any of my former vehicles (including Lexus RX SUVs). I agree that smaller size MAY result is less repair and/or insurance costs but all that will have to be seen.
  • I want my pano roof and would miss it if M3 does not end up with that option.
  • M3 usable trunk size (I don't care about surf boards) will need to be understood more than the tweets we have now. It could become a negative for me depending upon what the usable space truly becomes, how passthrough works to the back seat area, etc. I don't believe M3 has to be a hatchback, as owners that want the hauling capability of an SUV have MX and MS as alternatives in the Tesla line. One vehicle will never suit 100% of everyone's needs.
  • Call me a stick-in-the-mud, but I frankly prefer the "classic" MS nose cone in terms of front-end styling.
  • I much prefer the longer range possibilities of my S90D -- and yes, I appreciate all will get longer as time progresses with new battery technologies.
  • I'm not fond of the "spaceship" interior with lack of an IC, but that's likely because I see Autopilot as a supplement to my driving -- not the other way around. The "central IC" of the Prius is one of the things that kept me away from it -- not having what I consider the most critical display elements literally in front of my field-of-vision. If Tesla offered an optional HUD on M3, that would overcome my concern.
  • ...and I agree with @kort677. It will be years before M3 hits the road in any quantity, and MS is here today. It is also a very long time for us to speculate before we know what the reality of M3 truly is when the first one rolls off the line.

Not all the MS owners are coming from S/7/A8. Another thread shows many MS owners are coming from all sort of cars like Prius, Leaf, truck or mini van. People drive normal cars even though they have the money to buy expensive cars, they bought MS because they love the technology.

MS is a better car than M3, but there are a lot of MS owners will be switching to M3 because that's good enough for their driving need.

Before the Model 3 reveal I was pretty sure that I'd make the switch from the S to the 3. But I was so disappointed with the 3 I find myself inclined to just keep the S or trade it in someday for another used S with AWD. Pretty much the only advantage of the 3 is the much lower base price. Perhaps the actual production 3 will fix some of the issues I have with the prototype, so it is wait and see at this point. Or wait and see what the Model Y is like.

Hatchback.

Draw -

Huh? Since when is the S3 not going to be a hatchback? It's the design and shape of a hatchback. If they don't change the shape and it doesn't have a hatchback, it won't have a trunk either.

@sorka m3 is not a hatchback - confirmed!
I agree that MS when M3 launches will be an entirely different ballgame.

Personally speaking, I don't like to drive huge $100K cars. I'm more of a small luxury person. Unfortunately there is no small luxury car on the market.

Also, the MS nose is better than M3 (personal opinion).

Though someone on TMC photoshopped a much nicer M3 nose, and Elon took note, and most likely you'll see improvements before launch.

Before the Model 3 reveal I was pretty sure that I'd make the switch from the S to the 3. But I was so disappointed with the 3 I find myself inclined to just keep the S or trade it in someday for another used S with AWD. Pretty much the only advantage of the 3 is the much lower base price. Perhaps the actual production 3 will fix some of the issues I have with the prototype, so it is wait and see at this point. Or wait and see what the Model Y is like.

I have to agree im on the same boat, the wife asked me if i put a deposit down and i told her no because i love my S and would probably upgrade it to a newer S when M3 is out

I too sometimes think the Model S is too big as a daily driver. But I am loath to leave it rotting in a garage 5 days a week when it is such a joy to drive. Public transportation in NYC is often faster than driving here in NYC, but not always. and the Model S will always win on comfort so I will use my Model S as a daily driver and mostly enjoy doing so.

and I will say this... the Model S is the best road trip car ever. the larger size is AMAZING for road trips.

i enjoy sitting in NYC traffic in my model S every day

Reactions: Galve2000