Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hate to admit this .. but ..

Which car is nicer?

• Model 3

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Model S

Votes: 71 78.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The diversity of opinions in this thread is entertaining, as always. :)

As a Model S owner for over 2 years, driven over 40K miles, as much as I love the car I placed a reservation for a 3 and plan on selling my S in (hopefully) 2 years time when I get my 3.

The S is a far bigger car than I have ever owned, and a bigger car than I need. It's a fantastic car, but I prefer a smaller car.

The 3, with options, will be a luxury car just in a smaller size. I'm sure there are some S and X features that will not be available on the 3. But I don't expect any of those missing features to be deal breakers for me. I don't haul around lots of people or huge items so the 3 seating and trunk is fine for me. The 3 will of course have options like a bigger battery for more range, Dual Motors, a high performance version, fancy seats, all the same Autopilot capabilities as the S and X, all kinds of options.

And I find the appearance of the 3 just as pleasing as the S, except I like the front end of the 3 more than the S. But I expect sometime in the next year or so, Tesla will revise the S front end to make it look more like the X and the 3.

Reactions: sunilsf
The diversity of opinions in this thread is entertaining, as always. :)

As a Model S owner for over 2 years, driven over 40K miles, as much as I love the car I placed a reservation for a 3 and plan on selling my S in (hopefully) 2 years time when I get my 3.

The S is a far bigger car than I have ever owned, and a bigger car than I need. It's a fantastic car, but I prefer a smaller car.

The 3, with options, will be a luxury car just in a smaller size. I'm sure there are some S and X features that will not be available on the 3. But I don't expect any of those missing features to be deal breakers for me. I don't haul around lots of people or huge items so the 3 seating and trunk is fine for me. The 3 will of course have options like a bigger battery for more range, Dual Motors, a high performance version, fancy seats, all the same Autopilot capabilities as the S and X, all kinds of options.

And I find the appearance of the 3 just as pleasing as the S, except I like the front end of the 3 more than the S. But I expect sometime in the next year or so, Tesla will revise the S front end to make it look more like the X and the 3.

I'm pretty much in this camp-- I really like the S, but it's too big a car for me. Something like a BMW 3 or 5 series works... 7 series is just too large.
Only concern with the model 3 currently is quality of interior and size of trunk (I'm a fan of the lift back style that is on the S).

I prefer the look of the MS, mainly due to the nose over the concept 3. I expect they will change the 3. I also really like that I can fit a huge amount of stuff in my car very easily. I have always preferred hatchbacks for that reason. I am not a trunk kinda guy. Just not useful enough for me.

I agree that the MS is huge. That can be a hassle when parking. Not so much getting into the space. But having enough room to avoid door dings from the inconsiderate or unaware. That's probably my biggest issue because I am so obsessed. Being the only person in my car 98% of the time, it is a bit ridiculous that I drive such a big car. I must admit. But I ain't givin' her up any time soon!

You forgot the biggest difference.... "available now".

Seriously you cannot compare something you can buy today to what you think something will be when it is available in 2+ years. You would need to re-evaluate everything once the M3 is available. And then at that point, for most people, it will come down to two things:

1) Do I have the money for the S?
2) Do I really have the money for the S?

Both are beautiful and serve different purposes. We are lucky to be driving ANY Tesla, they're all great!

EDIT: Still voted for the Model S. I love how my S looks and how much storage space it has. I do admit that I am very nervous parking the car since it is so large, but that is just a small nitpick for an otherwise fantastic vehicle. Nevertheless, I still put in a reservation for a Model 3, can't wait to see part 2.

Last edited:
Unfair. You're comparing a current production car - one I drive daily and one that anyone can buy today - to a prototype car that may be available in two years if you're lucky to be early enough on the list and willing to dish out on options. But it's a game, so I'll play along.

Model 3 has the pano windshield and roof of glass. Didn't think I'd care about this, but after two days in my Model X, it's probably my favorite thing. Purely awesome. Getting back in the S is like driving through a pinhole.

Model S's size can be annoying at times. Parking, yes. Turning radius is ridiculous. Having a smaller car that I can maneuver more quickly would be a benefit.

Otherwise it's hard to say. I reserved two Model 3s but if the S refresh shows me something I like more in 2018, I will buy it instead.

Reactions: GSP
Both are beautiful and serve different purposes. We are lucky to be driving ANY Tesla, they're all great!

EDIT: Still voted for the Model S. I love how my S looks and how much storage space it has. I do admit that I am very nervous parking the car since it is so large, but that is just a small nitpick for an otherwise fantastic vehicle. Nevertheless, I still put in a reservation for a Model 3, can't wait to see part 2.
Yes. I was surprised at how much I like the S despite the size. Since I have only one car in my garage now, the size isn't an issue there. For parking I've been choosing spaces well away from the store to avoid door dings; that's easy where I live because parking isn't congested. No parallel parking here so that isn't an issue (I've done it only once in the last four plus years). But the thing I like the most about the S is the huge storage space; it is wonderful for carrying camping gear and long tools. I also was impressed at the driving and handling of the S, despite it being such a large car.

One thing I don't like is the long, difficult, reach across to the passenger seat — where I place my heavy backpack — and the glove compartment, where the J1772 adapter is stored (need to rethink that, but rolling around in the "bowling alley" didn't work). I also find the seats (at least in my S) very hard and uncomfortable on long drives.

I am hoping that some of the issues I have with the 3 are fixed before release, but no liftback seems certain now, although that isn't a deal-breaker, unlike the lack of instruments on the dash (as I've said in another thread AP is useless where I live so having the car drive itself is not going to happen).

OK. The video. That seems like a very awkward trunk. Seriously limited storage.
You aren't alone in thinking that the trunk opening is awkward! I think I saw somewhere that Elon Musk tweeted that the trunk opening will be improved somewhat before the production of the 3.