Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hate when people call my car a classic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 MS. When the new fascia cars came out, people started to refer to cars like mine as "classics". I hated that. To me it was basically a euphemism for "old" or "outdated".

Now that Tesla charges for supercharging, cars like mine are now "grandfathered" for free supercharging. Somehow that doesn't sound so bad, yet as I think about it I should be more offended at the grandfather reference than the classic reference. :)

I owned a "classic" as well and after the AP1 was introduced when the new nose cone came then the D versions the older models became known as the classic, it isn't an insulting name, it just refers the body style.
the introduction of AP1 is what IMHO made the older ones functionally obsolete

I have a 2013 MS. When the new fascia cars came out, people started to refer to cars like mine as "classics".

Classic I think has a couple of meanings, it's original meaning at least on TMC was to refer to pre-AP1 Model S, so those made roughly between 2012 and mid-2014.

I think the lingo is roughly like this:

1) Classic Model S (nosecone, no AP)
2) AP1 Model S (nosecone + AP1) --- maybe someone could call this also Classic after the Facelift...
3) Facelift Model S (facelift + AP1)
4) AP2 Model S (facelift + AP2)

This list, I believe, is also why Elon refers to the current Model S as "version 4". Both AP1 and AP2 were fairly large changes with implications beyond the Autopilot...

On the Model X there is basically just AP1 and AP2 versions so far.

As for hating the name, I sympathise. But a personal anecdote: I actually received my Classic P85 after AP1 annoucement (international delivery times...), so it never really got to be "new" for me, but I never disliked the moniker either. I felt like a part of an early club, even though relatively speaking late joiner to that early club. :) I will always cherish that in some way... I guess it helped that I was going to go to Model X eventually anyway, so I didn't feel like I was missing out. (Though who knew the Model X wait became so long...)

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap
clas·sic ˈklasik/
adjective
judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
noun
a work of art of recognized and established value.
"his books have become classics"

I don't see why people have a negative view of "classic".

I bought my car just before AP came out and I call it a "classic" for that reason since AP was a game changer. But after having an AP1 loaner for a week, and doing a lot of highway driving with it, I lost all interest in it and decided not to upgrade. If I have to be constantly aware, or it might kill me, I'd rather just drive myself. If I lived in California and drove those congested highways, I could see it being a necessity but I can't see myself using it much, until it gets much better, and the laws allow for FSD.

So I decided to wait for AP2 before upgrading. Then AP2 came out and although it is more promising it still needs time to meet its potential so I'm not all interested in that either, just yet. I'm one of those odd ducks who really enjoys driving. But I am looking forward to one day having AP (especially if it drives me home after a couple of drinks and that's legal). I will get it regardless on my Model 3, and I still plan to keep my large frunk, 80 amp, free supercharging classic car for many years to come.

So all in all, the definition of "classic" works for me. My car has been a real solid build, with no silicon in the batteries like the 90's that leads to slow supercharging.. ;) . The only thing that I would like changed is the front end's gaping fish mouth nose cone and I'm following the threads here regarding changing that with interest since I do plan to make that change, once a vendor has ironed out all the kinks involved.

Isn't the definition of Classic something like "it never goes out of style"? What's so bad about that! You need a new perspective on the word. Think of it more along the lines of Bauhaus in styling. Clean, contemporary, timeless. A real gem for eternity. People rediscover it over the decades and fall in love with it's minimal but elegant look over and over. Feel better now? :)

When will the X be deemed classics?

Once they replace the falcon wing doors with something else? ;)

*runs for cover*

Pondering from the cover:

I'm not convinced Model X will get such a designation. It will eventually get a facelift for sure, but I think the usual monikers of original or pre-facelift might stick better for older Model Xs like they do on other cars. It is just that with the A/D (AP1 and "D") announcement Tesla changed so much, yet did not give Model S a facelift or a generational/platform change that usually might go along with it, a different naming was born out that unique circumstance. And perhaps also because the original Model S was so unique in many ways, warranting such a designation... Though still, pre-AP is a usual name for the Classics as well.

I honestly can't see Model X being called classic unless they remove the falcon wings from a subsequent one, then the original with falcon wings might certainly be called that. Otherwise I expect the naming be something akin to: AP1, AP2, AP3, facelift... and eventually first generation grouping all that, second generation being the next-gen Model X platform car... Simply calling an AP1 Model X as Classic would probably be misleading in the community, especially given that Classic already has a pre-AP meaning attached to it...

How I'd describe my first Teslas perhaps some day in the future...

- "I had a Classic Model S." = "I had a first-gen, pre-AP Model S."
- "I had an AP1 Model X (Signature) on order."
- "I now have a first-gen AP2 Model X".

Maybe if they remove the falcon wings later I might reminisce:

- "Yeah, I had one of those classic Model Xs, you know the minivan with the pidgeon wing doors..."

Last edited: