Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a 2016 S 70D but VIN is showing 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I bought my 2016 S 70D two years ago from Tesla. When I picked it up, the range showed 230 miles. A few days/weeks later, I noticed the range went up to 285 miles and it stayed at 285 miles until now. Yesterday I entered the VIN in KBB because I was considering selling this car and the VIN came up as a model 85D which is in line with the 285 miles range.

I never paid for a battery upgrade and even if the previous owner did, I didn't know that there's an option for such a big battery upgrade. Any thought on how this happened? I'm not complaining. I'm super happy with the range. I'm just trying to translate this windfall when I try to sell the car. I'm not sure if I should list it as a 70D as what the car says or as an 85D per the VIN and the mileage range? Has this happened to anyone else?

I say share whatever the car thinks it is. But if you want to know for sure what your car has you can always find the battery sticker label by the front passenger wheel. You can put the car in high (assuming air suspension) and take a peek at the label.

Of course also share the car saying it has 285 rated miles - it at least shows signs of a healthy battery.

Also, I do not believe the VIN actually will tell you the battery size. So the fact you put the VIN in KBB and it shows as an MS85 doesn't really mean anything to my understanding. There is a character for battery type, but that's simply to designate Li Ion, not capacity. Also a character that will tell you single motor, dual motor, dual performance. Nothing tells you battery size.

Here's a vin decoder. You can put in your vin and it will tell you what the different characters represent.