Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a 2018 P75D, is there ever going to be retrofit option available for a long range battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The key question here is if Tesla is going to ever retrofit their new cells into the old pack format.

There are really good reasons to and not to.

If they did, they'd have to match the weight and volume of the existing pack (there are 2 or 3 weights and I think they all have mostly the same footprint).

I'm hoping that tesla will support a 2015 S reasonably well in 2025, which would include "replace the pack" for $10-15k.

Maybe yes maybe no? Remind me in 5 years to update this thread...

I had a friend offer me a 95kwh battery for my 60kwh when he upgraded his to 100kwh.
Tesla service said my suspension is not capable of properly handling the weight of the heavier battery and refused to do the swap.

I had a friend offer me a 95kwh battery for my 60kwh when he upgraded his to 100kwh.
Tesla service said my suspension is not capable of properly handling the weight of the heavier battery and refused to do the swap.
Coil spring cars have different parts for the small/big batteries that were offered at the time.

The 100kwh pack was only ever offered with air suspension, so that’s a prerequisite to even getting Tesla to consider the idea.

There were also other considerations/complications when Tesla briefly offered the ability for P90D owners to upgrade to P100D. I’m not sure on the exact details as to why but they had to upgrade the SEATS from next-gens to premiums in order to maintain crash certification/homologation.

In short, I don’t think battery upgrades are ever going to be a big volume thing for Tesla. They have every reason to prefer just selling you a new car.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H