Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a ghost in my garage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife just messaged me to check my dashcam around 6:15am this morning... So I did. Found a parking event recorded around 6:10am and another one around 3 minutes later.

The first event shows the car's lights coming on for a few seconds around 6:10:58am. Then at 6:11:39am you can see the garage door opening. The rear camera has overview over the exit door of the garage with the switch for the big door next to it. In the rear video I can see the lights coming on too at the same time marker... but nothing else. Means, no one used the switch to open the garage door. So apparently the car woke up and decided to open the garage door.

The second video shows my wife opening her car (parked outside in front of the garage, now visible because the door is open lol) with her keyfob a few minutes later, then noticing the garage door is open. Then she walks back around to the exit door, activates the switch and you can see the garage door closing.

I don't have automatic Homelink activated, I prefer to manually engage it when I get home or leave.

Anyone else with a ghost? lol

PS. I'm on firmware 2.24.102

Your door could be on the same freq as someone else's door. Happened to me once. Had nothing to do with the car. Happened when I programmed the door opener. First couple of times it happened I was ready for battle, i.e., potential thief, until I saw my neighbor press the button to open her own garage door. I felt silly. Hope that is your situation as well. I would just reprogram the door, which is what I did.

"All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again." #BSG

Your door could be on the same freq as someone else's door. Happened to me once. Had nothing to do with the car. Happened when I programmed the door opener. First couple of times it happened I was ready for battle, i.e., potential thief, until I saw my neighbor press the button to open her own garage door. I felt silly. Hope that is your situation as well. I would just reprogram the door, which is what I did.

"All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again." #BSG
Certainly a possibility, but our properties here are around 2 acres, next to us is a horse barn (only) so the next neighbor with a garage is pretty far away.
Secondly you can see the car's lights coming on half a minute before it opens the garage door. Coincidence?

I was just wondering if anyone else had this happening before? In my case, it was no big deal since our garage door is on the side of the house facing our neighbor, not to the front of the house (street). Plus is was early in the morning.
But if someone lives in a let's say bad area of town and the garage faces the street, I could see this becoming an issue. lol

Well, okay... I did program the car to be able to open and close the garage via the Homelink button of the car. But I don't use the automatic Homelink feature in the software, where the car automatically opens the garage door for you when you get close to it geographically.
(Just to clarify)

And as stated previously, I don't have preconditioning activated.

ghostbusters_who_you_gonna_call_small.jpg

Well, okay... I did program the car to be able to open and close the garage via the Homelink button of the car. But I don't use the automatic Homelink feature in the software, where the car automatically opens the garage door for you when you get close to it geographically.
(Just to clarify)

And as stated previously, I don't have preconditioning activated.

MP3Mike's suggestion about Summon is good. You can also ask Tesla to look at your logs: [email protected].

Reactions: Alex D
Could you have accidentally triggered summon from the fob?
I was in my bed soundly sleeping, far away from my fob hanging on the key holder. lol

The second key fob is stored near my desk, also no contact with anyone.

Also, if it would have been summon, wouldn't the car come out of the garage, too? I never used the summon feature with the garage door, so I don't know. Just going by what I've read somewhere else so far.

I do have cats, but there's no way they could have gotten to the key fob to press it or anything.

Here's a picture of the second key fob in a shelve above my computer screen:
20160718_150604.jpg

The other key fob was hanging on the key holder next to the front door.

I came home the other night to the garage door open and the model S inside. The door was definitely closed when we left. Unfortunately the camera in my garage was unplugged so I don't have video of the event. But, it sounds similar to what you experienced.

• Informative
Reactions: Alex D