Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a ghost in my garage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the same occurrence twice in the past 24 hours (and never before) - of course, brand new firmware update (just saying). I hadn't thought to check the car's dashcam logs, but I'll do so later.

My best guess right now is that they correlate to times in which the power went out at the house while the car was plugged in. However, of those two times the first time it was plugged in not charging and the second time it was plugged in charging - so not identical circumstances.

• Informative
Reactions: Alex D
What is the name of your car??? Is it Christine by any chance????
I encourage you to read Stephen Kings novel titled "Christine".... The explanation is right there!!
I encourage you to read the book during the day light hours and urge you not to leave the book in your car!!

• Funny
What did your phone app notifications show? Did it show any summons event?

I would notify Tesla since the most likely culprit is a bug in the code.

Have you checked to see if either remote can even reach the car from where you store them? Like try locking the car, and then putting the fob where you normally keep it. Then going back and trying to get in the car.

Well, I've solved my mystery, and the Tesla wasn't to blame. It went from twice to WAY more since I last posted, which made it easy to track down. There was a little swinging item that was occationally crossing the safety beam literally in the last half inch. So that while the garage door appeared completely closed to humans and we left happily it then might retract moments later. The car had nothing to do with it.

For what it's worth I've added to my piece of mind by expanding on my home automation with a garage door monitoring and alerting kit.

What did your phone app notifications show? Did it show any summons event?

I would notify Tesla since the most likely culprit is a bug in the code.

Have you checked to see if either remote can even reach the car from where you store them? Like try locking the car, and then putting the fob where you normally keep it. Then going back and trying to get in the car.
Good thought, I had no summon notification on my phone. I will send them an email, just to be safe.

You may want to also remove the Homelink settings until Tesla provides a software update, if that's where the issue lies.
Good suggestion, however I really like it integrated into the software and not having to have my clicker with me. Besides, we live in a really quiet area with a dead end street and as mentioned my garage opens up to the side of the house and we're pretty recessed from the street. Even if it happens, which it only did that one time so far, it's not that big of a deal in my situation.
Luckily I have the live view possibility of my dashcam. So I just check a couple of times throughout the night and before I lay down to make sure, the garage is closed.
I'm sure Tesla will look into this and fix it soon.

...The first event shows the car's lights coming on for a few seconds around 6:10:58am.... In the rear video I can see the lights coming on too at the same time marker... but nothing else.

The light in both the front and rear videos seems to be coming from above, not from the car. I don't see the car's lights come on at any point. I would guess stray RF from another source caused this.