Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a Model 3 that will not Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my right rear door off of my car to repaint. In the mean time my batteries died. I recharged the 12v and plugged the car in. After 24 hrs I still have a yellow light and still no charge. The dash says it has 20 miles of charge but the car will not do anything at all. I am lost as to what to do? PLEASE HELP!!! How and where can I test to see what the battery issue is? you can also call me at (moderator note phone number removed for privacy) if it would be easier to talk. Thank you for your time!!

(moderator note: removed phone number. If someone is willing to call you, I would suggest sharing the number with them via private message)

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 194
Last edited by a moderator:
My ideas in order of how I would do them:
Reboot by holding both buttons on the wheel.
Press and hold park button to try to force parking brake.
Reseat your charger.
Don't remove doors.
Call Tesla and ask why your model 3 came without a door and see what they say.
Try to simulate the door being back on somehow (pressing a latch or something?)

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
First do not panic.
remove charger cable (what kinda charger are you using) 110,240,wallbox
Is the door still missing?
have you checked the breakers
Do the reboot thing and put the charger cable back in
Then i have a gin and tonic.
FYI : I do not give my phone number to my bartender if you get my drift

The door is back on... the charger is 240v... the outlet has power...
what does the snow flake stand for other than cold?
is there any way to test the pyro fuse without buying a new fuse?
I dont give out my number to my bartender either... I thought this was a forum of helpful ppl? wait, maybe my bartender was trying to be helpful also?
Tesla said they dont build cars with missing doors and that it must have happened in shipping... we are thinking fedex dropped the ball...

What all have you tried, as far as reboots and so on.
Can you move the car at all? If you can move
the car its not likely a Pyro. You might look into the
12v reboot. Sounds to me like the power can not
reset the charging socket? Yes I love my bartender.

The door is back on... the charger is 240v... the outlet has power...
what does the snow flake stand for other than cold?
is there any way to test the pyro fuse without buying a new fuse?
I dont give out my number to my bartender either... I thought this was a forum of helpful ppl? wait, maybe my bartender was trying to be helpful also?
Tesla said they dont build cars with missing doors and that it must have happened in shipping... we are thinking fedex dropped the ball...

The snowflake means your battery is cold, and may be too cold to accept a charge. Just leave the car plugged in and hopefully it will start charging once the battery is warm enough to accept charging.
=====================

Moderator note: as I mentioned in the OP which I edited, I removed your phone number for your privacy. If you really want to share it that way, you can re post it and I wont remove it again.

Last edited:
I have my right rear door off of my car to repaint. In the mean time my batteries died. I recharged the 12v and plugged the car in. After 24 hrs I still have a yellow light and still no charge. The dash says it has 20 miles of charge but the car will not do anything at all. I am lost as to what to do? PLEASE HELP!!! How and where can I test to see what the battery issue is? you can also call me at (moderator note phone number removed for privacy) if it would be easier to talk. Thank you for your time!!

(moderator note: removed phone number. If someone is willing to call you, I would suggest sharing the number with them via private message)
One, I'd do a full shutdown from the screen.

If no joy, try a reset of the HV battery connection. Instructions here:
Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset | Mountain Pass Performance

Lastly, I'd just leave it plugged in, it may charge when the battery has sufficiently warmed. Actually, I'd do that second after the full shutdown. Then, the HV battery reset, last.

• Helpful
I don't understand this line - of course they don't sell cars without doors. What got shipped? What happened in shipping? Fedex? This is a complete nonsequitur to the rest of your post(s).

Why did you remove the door to repaint it? Maybe that tripped some kind of service mode or something that needs to be reset before the car will work normally again. You have that Parking Brake not set warning, although your parking brake light is on - indication of other issues? What is that red warning indicator at the top right next to the upgrade notification? I think there may be more to this situation than you're telling us.

From the picture you posted it's obvious that temperature is not the issue. If the battery was too cold to accept a charge, there would still be a voltage around 240 V and 32 Amps.

What I would do is to install the pending update (tap on the yellow clock on top of the screen) and also tap on the red exclamation mark next to it. There is a message waiting for you that might explain what the issue is.
There also shouldn't be an amber parking brake icon. From the manual:
If the parking brake experiences an electrical issue, the amber parking brake indicator lights up and a fault message displays at the top of the touchscreen.
Re-inserting the charge handle and/or resetting the charger might also help.

My guess is that the car won't charge because the parking brake has not been applied.

• Helpful
From the picture you posted it's obvious that temperature is not the issue. If the battery was too cold to accept a charge, there would still be a voltage around 240 V and 32 Amps.

What I would do is to install the pending update (tap on the yellow clock on top of the screen) and also tap on the red exclamation mark next to it. There is a message waiting for you that might explain what the issue is.
There also shouldn't be an amber parking brake icon. From the manual:

Re-inserting the charge handle and/or resetting the charger might also help.

My guess is that the car won't charge because the parking brake has not been applied.

I would NOT install an update until it had more charge. I think that would be asking for trouble.
It should charge on any version.

It's interesting it's showing 1V too.
Has this charger setup ever worked before?
Has this car been charged with this setup before?
Why was the battery allowed to get so low in the first place?

Not getting the whole story here.

I suspect the UMC / Wall Connector is not setup right or the AC to DC Charger in the car is broken.

But again, if the car thinks it's not parked it WILL NOT CHARGE because it's worried you'll roll away while plugged in. You have to clear that error.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasaraki

I just sent you a PM. Reply if you still need assistance.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin