Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a problem of work with the European Space Agency........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Raffy this is what I see from afar. My vision is not 20/20 so please forgive me for possibly being wrong

This is what you say that you want, your goal or destination

I would like to buy a Tesla car, a solar farm, a new apartment in Rome and so on. This would be a positive change in my life.

That sounds quite nice, quite achievable, within a grasp of most people in the first world. Most people on TMC are lucky birth lottery winners and are in a position to get to such nice destination as you described.

Here is in your words what you are doing now:

Anyway today my situation is getting better. I talked to the Director General of ASI (Italian Space Agency) and I found out that in ASI they are going to help me to get a meeting with ESA to work out my situation.

Last Friday I have been told that in ASI there is a person in charge to work out my problem with ESA. Hope that now my situation will be solved quickly.

On Monday I will talk to the person in ASI who is in charge to work out my situation. Hope to work out the situation quickly to start a new life.

Today I talked to the person in ASI who is in charge to work out my situation. Now I hope that things will get better soon.

I have just spoken to the person in ASI who is in charge to work out my situation. He will try to arrange a meeting between me and ESA to work out my situation. The meeting (if ESA will accept to come to the meeting) will be kept in ASI in Rome or in ESA/ESRIN in Frascati.

Now let's cross the fingers and hope that everything will be ok soon.

Waiting for ASI to arrange a meeting with ESA and me. Worried but hopeful that the meeting will be arranged soon.

Didn't manage to contact the person in ASI who is in charge to arrange a meeting between ESA and me. Hope that next week I will get the news of the date of such a meeting.

It makes me wonder why you seem to be putting such an attractive achievable goal on hold whilst you seem to be willingly letting some other people be in charge of working out your situation (your words above).

If someone else other than you is in charge of working out your situation, then seemingly you are not in the drivers seat.

If you are not the driver, then you have no control of the journey or the destination.

Driving can be a chore and a responsibility, but as merely a passenger I would feel stranded and at the mercy of the drivers.

In my driving experience, my odds of reaching my destination are greatly improved if I map out route A, route B, route C and so on. If a particular road is clogged, closed or not to my liking, it helps a lot to keep my destination in sight and to take a favourite detour.

Surely you will make a positive change in your life, it is your life and you are in charge.

All the best.

It makes me wonder why you seem to be putting such an attractive achievable goal on hold whilst you seem to be willingly letting some other people be in charge of working out your situation (your words above).

If someone else other than you is in charge of working out your situation, then seemingly you are not in the drivers seat.

If you are not the driver, then you have no control of the journey or the destination.

Driving can be a chore and a responsibility, but as merely a passenger I would feel stranded and at the mercy of the drivers.

In my driving experience, my odds of reaching my destination are greatly improved if I map out route A, route B, route C and so on. If a particular road is clogged, closed or not to my liking, it helps a lot to keep my destination in sight and to take a favourite detour.

Surely you will make a positive change in your life, it is your life and you are in charge.

All the best.

Thank you very much for your post Auzie. It gives me the chance to explain somethings that I didn't mention before on my situation.

If anybody goes and check my personal file in ESA first thing that he will see is that the Vacancy Notice in my file is missing.

The Vacancy Notice is a document (this is true for all International Organizations) explaining the duties and responsabilities of the Staff Member and saying also in what Department the Staff Member is posted.
Now according to my Contract I was posted in the Communication Satellite Department which is in the Telecommunication Directorate of ESA.
Then according to my Probationary report I was posted in the Electrical System Department which is in the Technical Directorate of ESA.

So according to the documents not only I was posted in two different Departments of ESA but also in two different Directorates at the same time!
In fact the Head of the Telecommunication Directorate stays in Paris at the ESA Headquarter and the Head of the Technical Directorate stays in Holland at ESTEC (Holland).

When I said to the Head of Personnel of ESA who handled my situation about the fact that my Vacancy Notice was missing in my Personal File (I also have the number of my Vacancy Notice) I said also if the ESA had hidden my Vacancy Notice, which is the document that is needed to write the Probationary Report, it meant that I had no fault for all the troubles that I had in ESA.

After that I said this the Head of Personnel answered: "Yes it's true. You have no fault. It's a problem of power." He also added that he wouldn't have repeated anymore to anybody what he said to me.

So I have been involved, without me being aware and without me wanting it, in a matter of power that is not certainly of my concern.

That's why I am not the driver. I have been involved in a matter of power that is much much much greater than me. Hope to get out of this nightmare of power soon. I am not interested in power. I have not the skills to handle matters of power. I just want to lead a normal life.

Last edited:
That sounds quite nice, quite achievable, within a grasp of most people in the first world. Most people on TMC are lucky birth lottery winners and are in a position to get to such nice destination as you described.

All the best.

Thank you very much for your wish Auzie. As I said before for me it's very important that my TMC friends are close to me in this difficult period.

When I said to the Head of Personnel of ESA who handled my situation about the fact that my Vacancy Notice was missing in my Personal File (I also have the number of my Vacancy Notice) I said also if the ESA had hidden my Vacancy Notice, which is the document that is needed to write the Probationary Report, it meant that I had no fault for all the troubles that I had in ESA.

After that I said this the Head of Personnel answered: "Yes it's true. You have no fault. It's a problem of power." He also added that he wouldn't have repeated anymore to anybody what he said to me.

To this concern I would like to point out that the removal of a document like the Vacancy Notice from the Personal File of a Staff Member is a penal crime, and as the Head of Personnel of ESA said, is the evidence that I have no fault.

IMO also other penal crimes have committed against me when I worked for ESA.

To this concern I would like to point out that the removal of a document like the Vacancy Notice from the Personal File of a Staff Member is a penal crime, and as the Head of Personnel of ESA said, is the evidence that I have no fault.

IMO also other penal crimes have committed against me when I worked for ESA.

Is there a reason you feel you were singled out, Raffy? Why would they have done this?

Is there a reason you feel you were singled out, Raffy? Why would they have done this?

Bonnie you got the main point. They treated me not in a normal way. In fact the Vacancy Notice is a document that all the Staff Members of all the International Organizations around the world have.

The fact the ESA decided to handle me without the Vacancy Notice means that I was singled out. They wanted to make me work in ESA not in a normal way. In fact also the Director General of ESA said, in the frame of an internal legal sue, that the confirmation only for burocratic reasons is not allowed from the Staff Rules. Sorry I didn't manage to make ESA understand that on the contrary I have undergone an illegal procedure because, as a matter of fact, I have been confirmed only for burocratic reasons and ESA didn't accept this fact in spite of the documents that I produced proving that I was confirmed only for burocratic reasons.

Why ESA singled me out? IMO ESA thought that I would have accepted the confirmation only for burocratic reasons meaning, as my American friends told me, that I would have become corrupted. Sorry for them but I had a strong Catholic education and I cannot stand corruption.

Edit: I was confirmed only for burocratic reasons because the report on the Probationary Period recommended the end of appointment. But the report was not given to me in time to allow an internal Board to summon to inquire if I really deserved the end of appointment. So I could stay in ESA.
When I said to the Head of Department that if he wrote end of appointment on the Probationary Report I had to leave ESA he answered to me: "No need to leave we employ people to keep them".

P.S. The Head of the Department invited me for dinner in his luxury house one week before of recommending me for end of appointment

Last edited:
Did they not give a reason for terminating your employment.

So far all you've posted is about how the termination is wrongful and not done in a proper and lawful manor.

But surely they must have given you reasons? After all the ESA doesn't strike me as made up of stupid people?

Did they not give a reason for terminating your employment.

So far all you've posted is about how the termination is wrongful and not done in a proper and lawful manor.

But surely they must have given you reasons? After all the ESA doesn't strike me as made up of stupid people?

The Probationary Report didn't contain any reason for the termination of appointment. The Head of the Section in the Probationary Report said that I did a good work. Only thing that he mentioned at the end of the report was that I had problems to adapting to the environment.
To this concern I would like to say that if the Probationary Report would have been given to me in time to make the Probationary Board summon and inquire about the recommendation of the Head of the Department I am sure that it would have come out that I was completely innocent. That's why ESA didn't give to me the Probationary Report in time to make the Probationary Board summon.

In fact first thing that the Probationary Board would have done would have been to check my Vacancy Notice. The Vacancy Notice, containg the duties and responsabilities of the Staff Member, is the main document needed to write the Probationary Report.

If ESA hided my Vacancy Notice it's evident that ESA didn't want to write my Probationary Report on the ground of my duties and responsabilities and of what I really did.
And, as the Head of ESA Personnel said, it's the evidence that I have no fault.

Last edited:
The Probationary Report didn't contain any reason for the termination of appointment. The Head of the Section in the Probationary Report said that I did a good work. Only thing that he mentioned at the end of the report was that I had problems to adapting to the environment.

This is a diplomatic/subdued way of saying either "We are unhappy with your work" or "We are unhappy with they way you are as person or colleague" or a combination of both.

If you "did a good work" why would they fire you? And if they were in fact sorry to see you go (for example if the reason was funding cutbacks or something) don't you think they'd go out of their way to say how sorry they were that they had to let you go.

This is a diplomatic/subdued way of saying either "We are unhappy with your work" or "We are unhappy with they way you are as person or colleague" or a combination of both.

If you "did a good work" why would they fire you? And if they were in fact sorry to see you go (for example if the reason was funding cutbacks or something) don't you think they'd go out of their way to say how sorry they were that they had to let you go.

Don't agree. You would have been right if ESA would have given to me the Probationary Report in time to make the Probationary Board summon.

To this concern I would like to say that when I was in ESA I made work good all the microwave filters software that the previous microwave filter expert left purposly not working. In fact he was the only expert at world level having this know-how and he wanted that his know-how couldn't have been used by anybody else. It was a mission impossible because he almost destroyed all the programs.

Nobody thought that I could make the microwave filters software of the Division work. But you know....... I made it.

Last edited:
If ESA hided my Vacancy Notice it's evident that ESA didn't want to write my Probationary Report on the ground of my duties and responsabilities and of what I really did.
And, as the Head of ESA Personnel said, it's the evidence that I have no fault.

To this concern I would like to point out that the Head of Personnel of ESA not only said that because ESA has hidden my Vacancy Notice (I also have the number of my Vacancy Notice) I have no fault, but he also added that he wouldn't have repeated anymore to anybody what he said. This behaviour is not in good faith IMO.

Raffy, I am very sorry for the situation you are in. I feel with you. I also was once employed and the company felt like a 'jungle'.

Rather sooner than later I got out of this company and have never looked back or regretted (in my case the pay was phantastic, but that was it - I was young and needed the money ;) ). What a waste of energy.

If I may offer you advice based on what I read here, find some place to use your talents where they are appreciated. Move on to a brighter future.

Johann

the ESA doesn't strike me as made up of stupid people?

Large bureaucracies may be led and inhabited by people who perhaps are not stupid but who may act compromised in many ways. The most convincing example I can think of is the Australian Government, whose leaders say and do things that far surpass Onion stories.

Perhaps a large European bureaucracy could be a bit better, but I would be surprised if it were much better.

It could be said that the whole world is compromised in many ways. I do not find it surprising that millions of people have great difficulties adjusting to this world the way it is. Some places are better than others and some people are luckier.

What you said might hold true in a civil environment, with civilized people. Unfortunately civility is a surprise rather than a norm in many places.

Many organisations have inbuilt feedback loops that reinforce the established order and mercilessly weed out anyone that does not serve or feed into that established order.

Raffy, I am very sorry for the situation you are in. I feel with you. I also was once employed and the company felt like a 'jungle'.

Rather sooner than later I got out of this company and have never looked back or regretted (in my case the pay was phantastic, but that was it - I was young and needed the money :wink: ). What a waste of energy.

If I may offer you advice based on what I read here, find some place to use your talents where they are appreciated. Move on to a brighter future.

Johann

I agree with Johann, why hang on to such unhealthy environment and people who seem not to want you around, moving on might be a better choice.

Last edited:
Large bureaucracies may be led and inhabited by people who perhaps are not stupid but who may act compromised in many ways. The most convincing example I can think of is the Australian Government, whose leaders say and do things that far surpass Onion stories.

Perhaps a large European bureaucracy could be a bit better, but I would be surprised if it were much better.

Of course I don't know the culture and inner working of ESA but I would absolutely assume that a space agency, made up of mostly engineers and scientists, which in this case is also a pan-European cooperative agency would be orders of magnitude better than any government or other political organ anywhere in the world when it comes to competence and independent thinking. I could be wrong though.

I would say however, as a general rule of thumb, that the most important information in situation like this can often be found by reading between the lines; that which is not said or mentioned, this is where the problem lies.

Raffy's posts do not mention what the actual problem is/was. After reading all the posts in this thread I still cannot understand why he was pushed out of the agency. Surely they must have given him some type of reason, either plainly or indirectly? Surely he must have his own thoughts about this? And if he doesn't have a clue as to why he was let go, or hasn't picked up on the reasons/signals given to him, perhaps that is the problem right there?

Raffy's posts do not mention what the actual problem is/was. After reading all the posts in this thread I still cannot understand why he was pushed out of the agency. Surely they must have given him some type of reason, either plainly or indirectly? Surely he must have his own thoughts about this? And if he doesn't have a clue as to why he was let go, or hasn't picked up on the reasons/signals given to him, perhaps that is the problem right there?

I wrote exactly what was the actual problem. The Head of ESA Personnel who handled my situation said it was a problem of power, that of course was not of my concern. I am an engineer not a politician. Yes there are some engineers that are also politicians but it's not my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.