Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a referral link but don’t own a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t own a Tesla (yet), but when I login to my Tesla account I have a referral link available to use (possibly due to my Cybertruck reservation?).

Is it possible for a friend to use my referral link and that will credit me 1000 miles to use with a future Tesla purchase?

One can used their own referral code?!

Yes, but you can not use the referral code you just got now for ordering a tesla to get any benefit for your current order.

People that "referred themselves" have referral codes from previously delivered tesla products. So if you have ordered (and had delivered) some other tesla product previously, you already would have a referral code and could self refer yourself.

if you just got a referral code (as the OP in this thread was talking about), you didnt have one before you ordered, and tesla will not go back and retroactively add your own referral code to your own order when you have not taken delivery of any tesla products at all yet.

TL ; DR, your referral code is active to refer others if you havent taken delivery yet, but you cant self refer yourself unless you have taken delivery of some tesla product or other (cars) or, alternatively, have ordered something through tesla energy.

Yes, but you can not use the referral code you just got now for ordering a tesla to get any benefit for your current order.

People that "referred themselves" have referral codes from previously delivered tesla products. So if you have ordered (and had delivered) some other tesla product previously, you already would have a referral code and could self refer yourself.

if you just got a referral code (as the OP in this thread was talking about), you didnt have one before you ordered, and tesla will not go back and retroactively add your own referral code to your own order when you have not taken delivery of any tesla products at all yet.

TL ; DR, your referral code is active to refer others if you havent taken delivery yet, but you cant self refer yourself unless you have taken delivery of some tesla product or other (cars) or, alternatively, have ordered something through tesla energy.
THNX for the clarification!

When I got previous car in Dec of 2019 I got 12 months.

During pandemic is was extended.

In June 2020 I got another Tesla and it was 12 months but it was added and extended my date.

Then another referral I only got 6 months. And My date extended 6 months.

I've currently got 16,510 referral miles left and they don't expire until July 2023 so apparently I capped out on extensions at some point.

What I'll be curious on is if that only applies to remaining 510 miles from 2019 and the date will forward again once the 2019 are used, after the next 2021 referral, at some other point? I got a referral last week and the miles went up but the date remains capped.

At "some point" it has to extend again.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-Will
Wow.. I thought I was the only one... I wish I saw this thread earlier! I was a Model 3 reservation holder since day 1, and it was only in February when I decided to log in and get my reservation refunded (since I'd decided I wouldn't be able to afford one in the near future) when I saw the referral code. Not much point in using it, of course, without a car.

The code was still there after the reservation was refunded, also strange.

Of course things change and the recent price drop in Australia (among other things) resulted in me placing an order last weekend ... but there are no superchargers in my state so the benefit of referring people is still questionable! :) I better start planning those interstate trips...

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin