Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a Roadster HPWC...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DeedWest

2008 VP & 2011 2.5 Sport
Feb 5, 2014
Dallas, TX
Since nowadays posting in the Tesla Parts For Sale area is highly redundant for a Roadster owner, as it is wildly overrun by Model S/X parts, I thought I'd go against the grain and post some...information...here. I hope the moderators understand.

Are there any Roadster owners on here interested in an original Roadster HPWC? It charges up to 240V / 70A and allows for a full charge time of 3-3.5 hours. To my knowledge, these aren't in stock any longer and are the only proprietary wall charging units with built-in Roadster connectors that don't require an adapter.

This thing came with my recently purchased 2.5 Sport, and looks to be extremely well-kept / clean. I honestly dreamt of finding one of these for years with a Roadster, but since my home currently doesn't allow charging above 40A with my current breaker setup, (and I won't be moving for the foreseeable future), there's really no point for me to have this. I realize how rare they are and thought I'd give another Roadster owner the possibility of owning one.

Otherwise, this gem will probably sit in my closet. It would be nice to sell this and put the money toward my much-needed annual service/inevitable motor fan replacement. :D Feel free to let me know your thoughts/interests below in comments, or by PM. I'm happy to ship this thing anywhere!

IMG_0054.JPG.jpeg

IMG_0055.JPG.jpeg

What will you use for charging instead of this unit? I have the even more original HPC made by Tesla rather than Clipper Creek, which came with the Signature 100 cars. I, too, have only a 40A circuit available and no more panel capacity, but the HPC can be dialed down to deliver 32A, and that is what I have been using for 8 years. I believe the Clipper Creek unit that you have requires a firmware change to reduce the current, but you could finesse that by setting your car to only ask for 32A. That would expose a risk that a visitor would not know to adjust the car setting and would cause the breaker to pop.

• Informative
Reactions: DeedWest
You can get Clipper Creek to reprogram a circuit board to change the amperage limit for a smallish fee. I originally got a 70 amp unit, which had a defect (very unusual!), and it got replaced with a 40 amp unit. Since I don't need more, I never pursued it, but I was told back then (February 2015) that I could send the board to Clipper Creek and they would re-program it. All the other components are identical. I don't recall the price, but it wasn't much, under $100 IIRC.

since my home currently doesn't allow charging above 40A with my current breaker setup, (and I won't be moving for the foreseeable future), there's really no point for me to have this. I realize how rare they are and thought I'd give another Roadster owner the possibility of owning one.
What are you using now for charging your Roadster? The 240V UMC cable? If I were you I would keep the HPC and use it instead, dialed down to 40A. Much more reliable.

But it is nice of you to offer it up for sale. However I see no price shown in your post.

I've been using the UMC. I used one every evening for a year when I had my first Roadster 2.5 last year, and am continuing to use a UMC for my current car.

I've definitely heard about UMC's failing over time, but are HPC's really much more durable?

As for price, I wasn't really sure what to sell one of these for. I saw they went for $1,950 in the Tesla Shop but are sold out. I'd expect to let it go for somewhere around $1,000.

I've been using the UMC. I used one every evening for a year when I had my first Roadster 2.5 last year, and am continuing to use a UMC for my current car.

I've definitely heard about UMC's failing over time, but are HPC's really much more durable?

As for price, I wasn't really sure what to sell one of these for. I saw they went for $1,950 in the Tesla Shop but are sold out. I'd expect to let it go for somewhere around $1,000.

Since the HPC is really a Clipper Creek EVSE... I would think that's it is pretty bulletproof. I would keep it.

Another vote for "keep it." There really isn't much demand for these. I paid much less than that for my original, second-hand HPC. Frankly, I'd buy a new HPWC and a CanSR if I had to do it over again.

I have the Clipper Creek Roadster charger and bought it for $1k for it off TMC. Like new condition. $1k is a fair price for them used and wouldn't feel bad buying or selling one at that price. I ended up going the JuiceBox route since its way smaller and also is a bullet proof setup to to its high build quality standard. I lucked out finding a Roadster HPWC cable, so I tied that to tie into it so I wouldn't need an adapter.. I can charge greater than the 70amps the Clipper Creek provides but mu home doesn't support it, so 50amps is where I limit it on the charger side. It's a configurable setting so very safe when you dial it down to match your home's service output. I could have dialed down the CC but didn't. Was also thinking of selling it but knowing how well that thing is built and now I know I can dial it down, I'm keeping it. Comes in handy if you find yourself buying a vacation home or have a 2nd place of residence.

Another vote for keeping it. It's the best EVSE for the Roadster and that particular unit is very robust. Clipper Creek support is great, too.

You can always convert it to J1772 if you get another EV in the future. Clipper Creek used to sell a J1772 conversion kit for it. You could also probably convert it to a Model S/X male plug as well in the future as well. I bet Tony Williams over at Quick Charge power can help you with the latter.

So it's robust, well supported, is a perfect mach for your current car, and flexible for future needs. What can go wrong? :)

The Clipper Creek "TS-90" (a CS-90 marketed through Tesla) is a rock solid unit with solid support. I would not exchange it for a lesser unit. There's no component inside that can't be repaired or replaced. The main relay is an old school "big clunky" one that you can buy at Home Depot !!!

The portable Roadster UMC is a design failure from the beginning, and the failure rate proves that.

If you want the modern Tesla HPWC, I find the second generation unit that is currently for sale to be very solid. You just need the adaptor from Tesla (no longer available) or from aftermarket sources.

Another alternative is the Model S UMC, but it has some of its own issues. Again, it would require an adapter.

I have the Clipper Creek Roadster charger and bought it for $1k for it off TMC. Like new condition. $1k is a fair price for them used and wouldn't feel bad buying or selling one at that price. I ended up going the JuiceBox route since its way smaller and also is a bullet proof setup to to its high build quality standard. I lucked out finding a Roadster HPWC cable, so I tied that to tie into it so I wouldn't need an adapter.. I can charge greater than the 70amps the Clipper Creek provides but mu home doesn't support it, so 50amps is where I limit it on the charger side. It's a configurable setting so very safe when you dial it down to match your home's service output. I could have dialed down the CC but didn't. Was also thinking of selling it but knowing how well that thing is built and now I know I can dial it down, I'm keeping it. Comes in handy if you find yourself buying a vacation home or have a 2nd place of residence.

Do I understand correctly that you replaced the Juicebox' J1772 cord with a Roadster HPWC cord? I'm looking for a hard-wired 70A charging solution for my Roadster and already have an HPWC cord. Given how thick that cord is, I'm curious if you had any difficulty physically installing it to the Juicebox unit. Your setup is definitely one route I'm considering. The other route being trying to find a Tesla/Clicppercreek Roadster HPWC for sale, or buying a new Tesla HPC and doing the cord swap (which again, might be troublesome due to the difference is cord diameter).