Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a Tesla and will be getting an additional EV from another OEM. What charger is best ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll just add my voice to the people chiming in to recommend going with a J1772 charger and use the Tesla adapter. I've got a Sun Country Highway charger that I installed when I bought my Chevy Volt back in 2015 and didn't bother swapping it out for the Tesla-native charger when I bought my Model 3.

I've not had any issues charging with the J1772 adapter fitted.
Sounds very reasonable. Thanks

It may depend on the EVSE you're using.
Generally not--the interrupt signal is pretty simple.
I doubt that our cars are performing differently.
I'm sure they are. We were having this discussion and surveying different responses from people in a thread a few years ago, and it was seeming to show some correlation to what models of cars people had. So when people ask this, rather than have to ask people about which model they have, and try to keep track of which newer Tesla models behave which way and give people conditional answers like, "If you have this kind of car, you can do this method, but if you have that kind of car, then..." it's easier to just give one answer that works for everyone.

Generally not--the interrupt signal is pretty simple.

I'm sure they are. We were having this discussion and surveying different responses from people in a thread a few years ago, and it was seeming to show some correlation to what models of cars people had. So when people ask this, rather than have to ask people about which model they have, and try to keep track of which newer Tesla models behave which way and give people conditional answers like, "If you have this kind of car, you can do this method, but if you have that kind of car, then..." it's easier to just give one answer that works for everyone.

Or one could suggest trying something that works great for many others. You cannot damage your car by doing it. Maybe this is just a "PEBKAC" type problem, except in this case it would be PEBCAE :)

Thanks everybody for chiming in. I've changed my mind and decided to get a second Tesla instead of the other EV from another manufacturer. So I'll have a PY and P3. His and hers. Can't wait.
I keep reading about other EVs and I wonder about them for a few minutes (mostly due to the tax credit), but then reality kicks in and I realize that my next car is going to be another Tesla

Reactions: pilotSteve
I flirted with it for a while but decided to stick with another Tesla. You can’t beat the performance, the updates, styling and definitely not the SC network.
And as for home EV charging --

When our J1772 EV is replaced by another Tesla I'll take down the Clipper Creek and put up a 40 Amp Tesla EVSE on the 14-50 receptacle. That way should a J1772 come to visit and need a charge an option will. be available for them if they carry a mobile EVSE with a 14-50 plug.

I regret not being able to take advantage of the 48 Amps OBC but a plug rather than a hard wiring is more valuable to me. Who knows -- perhaps a 14-60 or 6-60 receptacle will become common some day.

Good point. It’s useful to be able to help someone else charge. I have not had the opportunity yet.

That was also a consideration for me, but I'd also say that if you have an EV and will need to charge away from home, it's on you to purchase and bring any adapters you think may be necessary.

With that said, if you don't mind maxing out at 40amps, using a NEMA 14-50 outlet instead of hardwiring will allow you to unplug your EVSE and for someone else to plug in a level 2 mobile charger (assuming one came with their non-Tesla car, which I think is pretty standard these days).