TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

I have failed. Now, to mitigate...

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Eclectic, Dec 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I don't like SUVs and crossovers. I also don't like things that are more complicated than is necessary for my needs (read: falcon wing doors). So I really don't like the Model X.

Until this weekend, my wife was on board with my dislike of the Model X. However, my wife, who is the primary driver of our P85D (since she has the bad commute into SF/Silicon Valley), has suddenly fallen for the Model X. She is willing to overlook the falcon wing doors (which she also doesn't like) to get the newest automotive toy, and she happens to like SUV-ish vehicles. She is bored with the P85D and now wants a Model X with full self driving capabilities, so she has been spec'ing out the P100D X. I don't think I can talk her out of this one.

So my concern is this: I like driving our P85D. I drive cars hard and I like to push a car to its limits on roads like Highway 1 along the CA coast. I don't think I could take an X for a test drive on the roads I am concerned with, so I hope that someone who has a similar driving style to mine, and who has moved from a P85/90D to an X, can give me hope that I will still enjoy driving the car if my wife continues with her plan.

Does the Model X wallow in curves more than the S? is the balance significantly different when the vehicle is being pushed through corners?

• Disagree x 1
  2. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Unless you are a professional race car driver, you will be the limitation and not the vehicle.

Go to a race track and push it your limit/cars limit.

Worst case, you can sell your X to me. I would just like credit for new tires, new brakes, alignment and extra wear on the motor. ;)

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  3. flar

flar Member

Talk to the showroom. If you have concerns that go beyond the standard "here is your introduction to the car" test drive parameters they may let you take one out for an extended test drive. I recently took an extended overnight test drive (I wanted to also check out the windshield double-image-ghosting effect) and drove along Skyline, down 84 and up to Half Moon Bay. That should be more than enough to evaluate the handling. For the record, it handled just fine, but my days of pushing cars on back roads are becoming distant memories - I traded my Audi S4 for a compact Japanese CUV 10 years ago...

4. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

LOL @ dislike.

Who's going to be able to describe how driving a car is, versus actually doing it yourself?

5. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Doing it again I would forgo the Performance version even if I had to forgo the Sig to get in the GenProd line. Performance is not that much better and the bigger motor in the rear uses more energy so you go less miles (100D > P100D). I'd have her go/wait for the 100D or even the 90D if the commute allows it. If you travel then 100D for sure as the X is pushing more air around.

6. McRat

McRat Active Member

Is the car in a 4 wheel drift on Coast Highway corner exits with the babysitters off? You're bouncing the limiter when the road straightens? Are your rotors purple and with radial cracks?

Or do you just drive like every wannabee with a new bimmer 3xx? :D

Please, do not try to find the limits of any car on public roads.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 1
  7. flar

flar Member

Getting the non-performance version would save a ton of money for track days - even the "we provide the exotic super-car for you" track days...

And, if the concern is that you must have the largest battery then consider waiting for the non-performance 100D which may top 300 miles range, and you'll want to get the 20" wheels for much better range, which will reduce the handling more. If there was some other reason that she wanted the P100DL then those considerations are moot...

8. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

I just had some POS Passat try to race my MX. I let him win. It took a lot of temptation to not take bait because after all.

Even if you "won" - it's still a Passat.

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
  9. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

#9 NikeWings, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    I drive Boston-hard and love my S. It's sleek, turns are tight and I punch it with confidence. I'm totally one with this car. Like your wife, I like some utility and height without boxy SUV bulk so I also ordered a XP100D. Does it drive the same, nope. Does it drive like an amazing road jet, yep. I've experienced no performance compromise (overnight loaner while waiting for my delivery), adjusted to its modest heft and enjoyed the strength and power. Both were otherwise equipped similarly and with staggered set ups. However, there was one item that unexpectedly jilted me......the roof. While I love the amazing X view, I kept wanting to peel that roof back and enjoy my CA fresh air and raw sunshine.

I hope i get over it and can use/enjoy them equally. If not, I'll be pinging @MXWing :D

• Funny x 1
  10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

CA fresh air? In LA? Now that's funny!

I agree though. Yes, you will feel the heft of the X more than you will the S in the corners. Is it an awful wallowy mess? No, not really.

• Helpful x 1
  11. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

C'mon there is fresh air in RPV, even in Santa Monica. LA has more fresh air than you might think. As a former resident of RPV, I never had anything other than fresh air.

• Like x 1
  12. McRat

McRat Active Member

LA Today: PM2.5 AQI 25
    Seattle Today: PM2.5 AQI 46

Note that 51 in Moderate. 46 is near the top of Good.

• Like x 2
  13. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Touché!

Yeah, the air can get pretty stagnant here in the winter. Should clear out with the rain that's on it's way this afternoon.

14. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Not funny at all when you live on the coast......you need to visit more often.

• Like x 2
  15. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Yes, not as though there is not a plethora of options. Anyway, I'll treat the critic to dinner at Admiral Risty, maybe not spectacular food but the air is pristine.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Mush closer than hwy 1, test drive hwy 84 from Fremont to Sunol & return, it's close to the factory.

Drive safe and enjoy the MX handling, I do that route a lot. Turning/stability will not disappoint.

17. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I'm so confused.

It seems to me the logical conclusion is to take the P85D since you clearly like it, and to get her a Model X. You could save a lot on it not being the top end.

In my mind two reasonable Tesla's are better than one super Tesla.

As to your question; you're asking something that can't be answered. You just have to test drive it, and see if you like it. It's really a personal preference thing.

18. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

I just traded in my SP85DL for a SP100DL and we also have an XP90DL. If you really like to take the corners and push the car there is a noticeable difference. The X halls ass, and in some ways is more shocking because you're doing it in an SUV, but no matter what you do, it's bigger, taller, and weighs more. As a result I find the S more fun to drive, but the X is a lot of fun in its own way too.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

#19 goneskiian, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    My apologies if I offended. It was meant tongue in cheek.

20. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

Thank you, Andrewket and Nikewings, that's the type of feedback I was looking for.

• Like x 2