Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have failed. Now, to mitigate...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just traded in my SP85DL for a SP100DL and we also have an XP90DL. If you really like to take the corners and push the car there is a noticeable difference. The X halls ass, and in some ways is more shocking because you're doing it in an SUV, but no matter what you do, it's bigger, taller, and weighs more. As a result I find the S more fun to drive, but the X is a lot of fun in its own way too.
When I got a loaner S in lieu of our X while it was in for tires, I thoroughly enjoyed being a bit more "one with the car" as described earlier in the thread and nimble. Made me anxious to get my driving gloves around the wheel of my model 3... I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Nothing to mitagate, your wife is always correct. We have both the S and the X (wife's car) and she does not want to drive the S anymore. She has always had sports cars, Alfa and Jaguar XKE and a Mercedes SUV, she told me that the X is her favorite over them all and it is all I can do to pry it from her hands. Although I would not consider myself a aggressive driver I think the X does extremely well in aggressive driving situations. Keeping in mind that it is an SUV and is very heavy, when I first test drove an X I was suprised at it feel and handling.

We have a X 90D, and drove an S P90D loaner for a few days recently. The X feels more stiffly sprung, whereas the S feels a smidge more agile (weight?)

Overall we prefer the ride of the X, as the S felt a little "big sedan" whereas the X feels "sporty SUV"

I don't like SUVs and crossovers. I also don't like things that are more complicated than is necessary for my needs (read: falcon wing doors). So I really don't like the Model X.

Until this weekend, my wife was on board with my dislike of the Model X. However, my wife, who is the primary driver of our P85D (since she has the bad commute into SF/Silicon Valley), has suddenly fallen for the Model X. She is willing to overlook the falcon wing doors (which she also doesn't like) to get the newest automotive toy, and she happens to like SUV-ish vehicles. She is bored with the P85D and now wants a Model X with full self driving capabilities, so she has been spec'ing out the P100D X. I don't think I can talk her out of this one.

So my concern is this: I like driving our P85D. I drive cars hard and I like to push a car to its limits on roads like Highway 1 along the CA coast. I don't think I could take an X for a test drive on the roads I am concerned with, so I hope that someone who has a similar driving style to mine, and who has moved from a P85/90D to an X, can give me hope that I will still enjoy driving the car if my wife continues with her plan.

Does the Model X wallow in curves more than the S? is the balance significantly different when the vehicle is being pushed through corners?
You have to understand that both Model S and X have much lower center of gravity than its class suggests. (Lower CG means better in handling curve). For example, based on NHTSA (safercars.gov, same agency that do crash rating), Model S has the same CG as a Ford Mustang, which is much lower than Model S competitors in the same class, such as BMW 3 series, Mercedes E class etc. For Model X, I don't think there is an official figure at NHTSA yet, but it will be just slightly higher than Model S. At worst case, the CG of Model X would be the same level as BMW 3 series or Mercedes E class. Yes, you read that right, a huge SUV has the same CG as a BMW 3 series sedan!! Needless to say, Model X has the lowest CG of ANY SUV out there on the market.

All fun ski man, no worries at all! But when you're done with being soggy and waterlogged, point your Tesla south and we'll introduce you to some fresh air and sunshine. ;)
Yeah, definitely a bit waterlogged. Perhaps that's why I'm lashing out. I need some sun to lift my spirits! Some great snow in the mountains right now though. It's actually supposed to get really damn cold for the first couple weeks of the new year so I may just have to take you up on the trip South. :cool::D;)

Same situation here. I like sedan, sports car is even better though, and wife always like SUV. I got my S and wife got her X, both performance versions. In essence S is a sports sedan and X is a taller sports sedan that seats one or two more "adults" and has a lot more bells and whistles which I actually like. I would not have any issue to drive the X anywhere any car I want to take to. To give you some background my previous car was a Porsche Cayman S, many say the best handling car in the industry, that I have kept until this year when I got the X.

Reactions: Eclectic