Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have full self driving on my model 3. If I buy a new Tesla does FSD transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I plan on selling my 3 to Carvana and buying an All wheel drive new 3. I don’t plan on buying FSD on the new car. I don’t use it on my current car.
I have never gotten the impression that car resellers are clued in to EVs, let alone FSD value.

I'll be happy to wrong, so please let us know how it goes.

Regarding AWD -- I bought my Model 3 in June 2018. I decided to skip AWD since I had learned that it is not a reasonable replacement for winter tyres, whereas winter tyres are a pretty good replacement for AWD. I suggest you only consider a swap to AWD if your situation requires AWD plus winter tyres.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Unfortunately it does not transfer over if you buy a new car, I hope in the future FSD is tied to individual accounts rather than the car, but it probably won't happen since that would be a logistical nightmare to try and figure out with used car sales.

Unfortunately it does not transfer over if you buy a new car, I hope in the future FSD is tied to individual accounts rather than the car, but it probably won't happen since that would be a logistical nightmare to try and figure out with used car sales.

Easy, tied to account. Logout of old car and sell it. Login with new car and it works. Quite nice if you are hiring or borrowing someone else's car you can take your features with you everywhere. Tesla cloud services with every purchase..... Technically totally doable.

Just as phone apps are yours forever after your initial purchase, FSD should be as well. However, Tesla doesn't let you keep it when you buy a new Tesla. This should be seriously reconsidered.
People keep saying Tesla is a software company but that is not how software companies practice.
Instead of the owner getting partial compensation from the buyer of the used car, Tesla should have the new buyer pay for his own FSD in full and let the original owner keep FSD on the new Tesla.
If FSD is a viable product, that will generate more income in the long run and create more brand loyalty.

Just as phone apps are yours forever after your initial purchase, FSD should be as well. However, Tesla doesn't let you keep it when you buy a new Tesla. This should be seriously reconsidered.
People keep saying Tesla is a software company but that is not how software companies practice.

Sure it is.

If you buy a PC from Dell, that OEM microsoft license is tied to the PC.

Sell the PC, it goes with the PC.

Now, MS has a different type of license if you don't like that.

Just as Tesla is likely gonna have a subscription for FSD soon that won't lock to the car.

Easy, tied to account. Logout of old car and sell it. Login with new car and it works. Quite nice if you are hiring or borrowing someone else's car you can take your features with you everywhere. Tesla cloud services with every purchase..... Technically totally doable.
That would be awesome if it works.

What if your Tesla is totaled in accident? (Mine is) Should the FSD transfer to a new tesla

with a company that cares about their customers' experience, to build a relationship and encourage loyalty? Yes.

with tesla? No. All that matters is your money, and separating you from it in the short term because they'll find other suckers later if you leave.

I have never gotten the impression that car resellers are clued in to EVs, let alone FSD value.

I'll be happy to wrong, so please let us know how it goes.

Regarding AWD -- I bought my Model 3 in June 2018. I decided to skip AWD since I had learned that it is not a reasonable replacement for winter tyres, whereas winter tyres are a pretty good replacement for AWD. I suggest you only consider a swap to AWD if your situation requires AWD plus winter tyres.

you're right about options in general are not clued in to EV esp. Tesla options. The good part about that is on the low end SR+ get the benefit of average pricing.

What if your Tesla is totaled in accident? (Mine is) Should the FSD transfer to a new tesla
It dies with the car, just like everything with it (and like how car options are since forever). As another pointed out upthread, this is commonly done with software too. OEM licenses are tied with a specific motherboard. If your motherboard dies, the license dies with it. There is no mechanism to move it to a different motherboard or computer.

• Informative
It dies with the car, just like everything with it (and like how car options are since forever). As another pointed out upthread, this is commonly done with software too. OEM licenses are tied with a specific motherboard. If your motherboard dies, the license dies with it. There is no mechanism to move it to a different motherboard or computer.

FWIW the OEM thing isn't actually correct on modern systems- the factory preload has a DPK for the OS on every motherboard, including the replacement one you'd get under warranty (or could buy from the manufacturer).

Now if you buy a non-OEM board from someone else it won't activate the OS, but otherwise it'll work fine.

Where the license is "tied" is you can't buy a Dell laptop with an OEM dell Windows license and then move that OS to a homebrew desktop or something..