Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have full self driving on my model 3. If I buy a new Tesla does FSD transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was planning on purchasing FSD after delivery to reduce the value from the yearly personal property tax in my state. But if the FSD is not associated with me or to the permanent value of the car at resale, I’ll wait for the subscription even though I expect it will be outrageously priced.

I was planning on purchasing FSD after delivery to reduce the value from the yearly personal property tax in my state. But if the FSD is not associated with me or to the permanent value of the car at resale, I’ll wait for the subscription even though I expect it will be outrageously priced.

Unless you sell it back to Tesla, FSD goes with the car when you sell it, so it certainly should add resale value.

How much will depend on the buyer (and the state of FSD at time of sale)

What if your Tesla is totaled in accident? (Mine is) Should the FSD transfer to a new tesla

This may or may not be helpful to you (or others reading), but here goes.

My insurance company considers anything on the original purchase order to be covered. So if your car is totaled, the insurance company should consider the value of anything, software included, on the original bill of sale.

If you purchased after the fact, like I did, I got a rider to cover aftermarket equipment. The policy included $5000 in aftermarket equipment, and they added a rider to add I think $8000 in additional aftermarket coverage. So, if my car is totaled, I have appropriate coverage for the entire FSD purchase price.

I do not know how they 'value' this in a payout in the event of a total.

I understand Tesla's POV in this matter, but I do wonder:
How much does Tesla offer for FSD when it buys a car back ?
In effect, how much has it depreciated ?

IIRC someone (fairly) recently tweeted to Elon that tesla offered value on FSD contradicts Elons own claims about its value and he said he would look into it and correct.

No idea if that actually happened though (either the looking into or the correction).

Just like a TiVo - in their world, you can have either a monthly subscription, or a “lifetime” one. Lifetime means lifetime of the box, not you.

Will be same with FSD; they just haven’t enabled the monthly subscription part yet.

I hate that about my Tivo and I only have like $600 at stake with it. The good news is that TiVo’s last a long time with the hard drive and power supply being he most likely items to fail which aren’t too bad to fix.

FSD is $10k which is significant money. I change cars every 2.5-3 years and it doesn’t add appreciably to my resale value. Just for fun, I went to the Tesla website and added FSD to a base Model 3 - it increased the lease about 50% (150-ish) which means another $5400 0ver the life of the 3 year lease.

If it transferred, which would be extremely easy for Tesla to do, it would make more sense - but I think the current model of selling FSD isn’t ideal.

IIRC someone (fairly) recently tweeted to Elon that tesla offered value on FSD contradicts Elons own claims about its value and he said he would look into it and correct.

No idea if that actually happened though (either the looking into or the correction).
Last month, someone on Twitter had claimed that they were told by a sales advisor that Tesla doesn't add any value for FSD on trades because they can essentially add it for free. Elon responded by saying FSD should be "reasonably valued" on a trade and that he'd look into it.

I don't think there is any real evidence one what or another as to how Tesla handles FSD on trades as there's no way to know sure if a "lowball" offer on a particular car at a particular time is due to undervaluing FSD or some other market/value factors.

This may or may not be helpful to you (or others reading), but here goes.

My insurance company considers anything on the original purchase order to be covered. So if your car is totaled, the insurance company should consider the value of anything, software included, on the original bill of sale.

If you purchased after the fact, like I did, I got a rider to cover aftermarket equipment. The policy included $5000 in aftermarket equipment, and they added a rider to add I think $8000 in additional aftermarket coverage. So, if my car is totaled, I have appropriate coverage for the entire FSD purchase price.

I do not know how they 'value' this in a payout in the event of a total.

Does your rider include replacement at full retail value? Otherwise, they’re going to depreciate it to used market value which is the norm when a car is totaled.

The depreciation will likely be high as even Tesla’s own leases depreciate the feature at 50% over 3 years.

I hate that about my Tivo and I only have like $600 at stake with it. The good news is that TiVo’s last a long time with the hard drive and power supply being he most likely items to fail which aren’t too bad to fix.

Teslas last a long time too though, so same-same.

FSD is $10k which is significant money. I change cars every 2.5-3 years and it doesn’t add appreciably to my resale value. Just for fun, I went to the Tesla website and added FSD to a base Model 3 - it increased the lease about 50% (150-ish) which means another $5400 0ver the life of the 3 year lease.

Seems like if you want FSD, and ALSO want to replace the car every 3 years, you'd be among the few for whom leasing might make financial sense.

Saves you $4600 comparatively.

If it transferred, which would be extremely easy for Tesla to do, it would make more sense - but I think the current model of selling FSD isn’t ideal.

They've been pretty clear and consistent they have no interest in that model though (transferring)- and obviously they have far more sales, use, etc data then we do to base that choice on.

The eventual subscription option will be nearest you get- and I think some folks are a little optimistic on how cheap they think it'll actually be.

Teslas last a long time too though, so same-same.

A $600 risk on the Tivo is not the same a $10,000 risk on a car. At the end of 3 years, I know which of these 2 options is going to cost me a lot more money! :D

Seems like if you want FSD, and ALSO want to replace the car every 3 years, you'd be among the few for whom leasing might make financial sense.

Saves you $4600 comparatively.

If it's $100k and I lost $90k it still "saves me money" if I wanted it. The point is that I don't think it's worth paying $1800 a year for it. Of course to some people it will and more power to them but I think the majority of the popular would be in my boat.

They've been pretty clear and consistent they have no interest in that model though (transferring)- and obviously they have far more sales, use, etc data then we do to base that choice on.

Understood. Doesn't change the fact that I believe that this is a bad model. Tesla can do whatever they want - but I'm just posting my opinion on it and I'm speaking with my wallet as I didn't check that box when placing my order.

The eventual subscription option will be nearest you get- and I think some folks are a little optimistic on how cheap they think it'll actually be.

I'm interested in this and keeping an eye out for developments. Very curious to see where the pricing lands on it.

It dies with the car, just like everything with it (and like how car options are since forever). As another pointed out upthread, this is commonly done with software too. OEM licenses are tied with a specific motherboard. If your motherboard dies, the license dies with it. There is no mechanism to move it to a different motherboard or computer.

rightly or not the disappointing part is many have paid for FSD and no longer have that car. So, they never got FSD and yet they paid for it.
I think a logical argument could be made for that original purchase being forwarded at least until FSD exists in the real world.

rightly or not the disappointing part is many have paid for FSD and no longer have that car. So, they never got FSD and yet they paid for it.
I think a logical argument could be made for that original purchase being forwarded at least until FSD exists in the real world.

FWIW I absolutely agree in principle for the pre-3/19 buyers... (the post 3/19 buyers have gotten all but 1 promised feature- autosteer on city streets, delivered already).

That said- Tesla perpetually believes FSD is right around the corner (and has for years- several of the design features of the 3/Y clearly only exist because they expected FSD to already be here by the time the cars were on the market for example) so I wouldn't expect that to change.

oddly enough, it all sounded so compelling in 2016 S90D when I bought EAP+FSD for $8k. Now into my 5th year of ownership (with no viable FSD yet) it leave a bad taste for how Tesla treats their owners and early supporters. It certainly appears that Elon and the board have no regrets treating customers this way as their stock has done well. Uhhhhh.... that's all fine but not for me as a customer!

Oh yeah, the car I paid $109k for can now be purchased for $94k (same configuration but better battery. $15k cheaper). At least if I bought again today I would *STILL not be getting the FSD I purchased*.

WTF?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the car I paid $109k for can now be purchased for $94k (same configuration but better battery. $15k cheaper). At least if I bought again today I would *STILL not be getting the FSD I purchased*.

WTF?

+1. That's why it's a gamble to buy on promises - for all we know, reliable FSD might not be possible without more processing power, LIDAR, whatever - then the question comes if the particular car will ever be able to do it / will Tesla do a hardware retrofit? Or, by then... do you even want a hardware retrofit since the base car might be 15 years old.

Moller started taking deposits on their SkyCar in the late 90s - they're still nowhere to be seen! Just checked their website... 3 years away before the demonstrators come out they claim. ;)

Reactions: pilotSteve