Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have just lowered my suspension. One problem is when entering the parking under my building the under carage under the front wheels catch.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just lowered my suspension on my Model 3. I love the way it handles and looks. One problem is when entering the parking under my building the under carriage by the front wheels catch and scrape. You hear a metal scraping noise. Has anyone else experienced this?

Raise it back up. Mine was lowered quite a bit, finally raised it up to almost stock. The butt pucker over every bump I had was not worth the looks.

Are you running coil overs, or did you raise it another way? When I installed the UP springs, it dodn't lower the car much, but over time, the suspension has settled, and it is much lower than I expected it to be. Looks good, though I did it as they advertised increased range. But I do bottom out at times. I believe it is usually the jackpoints that are what hits.

Raise it back up. Mine was lowered quite a bit, finally raised it up to almost stock. The butt pucker over every bump I had was not worth the looks.
That was exactly my experience when I went with coilovers on my last car. Looked amazing when I picked it up, but then scraped leaving the shop and again at my office garage, and just couldn’t stand the anxiety. Had to dial back up almost immediately.

Fast forward to now, when I’m considering raising my M3 from stock just to deal with rough roads better. 😂

Are you running coil overs, or did you raise it another way? When I installed the UP springs, it dodn't lower the car much, but over time, the suspension has settled, and it is much lower than I expected it to be. Looks good, though I did it as they advertised increased range. But I do bottom out at times. I believe it is usually the jackpoints that are what hits.
MPP comfort Coilovers, I should have specified. Loved the look but I feel it rides better now (may have been too low for the springs to actually do anything.)

What size tires are you running? If you’re on the short side (diameter) of what the car can process TC data for, you can get up to an inch or so of ground clearance (difference between the low and high end of what seems to be the acceptable range) by running a taller tire.

My 255/35/20 PS4S are 27” tall, so I’m getting about half an inch more ground clearance than I would with the stock 26.5” 235/35/20 (1/4” more from the taller sidewall and 1/4” less lowering to achieve the same fender gap) - a 255/40/18 or 255/35/19 is only 26” tall, so double those numbers.

Changing tires for ground clearance isn‘t going to make a *huge* difference, but it might be enough to avoid a light scrape on a known obstacle. 1/2” to 1” can definitely help.

Reactions: Chloe Kopman