Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have learned to read TMC posts with a great deal of salt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just picked up my model 3 today. Perfect build. I remember when I got my model X and printed out lists of defects to look at but car was perfect including falcon doors. My model S same deal as my roadster. I don’t know if TMC posters reporting issues are biased, I can only report mine. My cars (except roadster) were all early vins. The X 69xx, the S 57xx and the 3 41xx.

i just picked up my model 3 today. Perfect build. I remember when I got my model X and printed out lists of defects to look at but car was perfect including falcon doors. My model S same deal as my roadster. I don’t know if TMC posters reporting issues are biased, I can only report mine. My cars (except roadster) were all early vins. The X 69xx, the S 57xx and the 3 41xx.

I think it is sort of normal for the disgruntled to offer louder opinions than the pleased.

Like you, my Model S has been mostly problem free. A few issues here and there but I am just tickled with the car, but I would feel a little silly if I kept creating threads about how great my car is and how much I love it etc...

However, if I had some bad experiences, I'd probably be pretty vocal because of frustration and trying to find solutions. I think the only thing everyone has to understand is that personal anecdotes are not necessarily dispositive of the experience of the masses.

I take those stories for what they are... bad experiences. Nothing more, nothing less. I do not think they are a condemnation of the company.

Moreover, I once returned a Lexus as a Lemon but I don't think anyone really thinks Lexus has poor quality or reliability. It just so happened I got the "lemon". We have owned 5 other Lexus's without incident.

Last edited:
Ironic post considering your name @Chickenlittle lol jk

Congrats on all those Teslas and have fun with that new 3!!
It’s my wife’s. She has gone from i will divorce you if you buy the model S (I told her we all have to do what we have to do) to great excitement over this car. I am not that bad she was supposed to drive the S, but I took my punishment and kept the car for myself. When she got over it she decided she wanted the smaller one and waited years for it. I have to say it’s as good as my X with the only feature missing the heated steering wheel and the D. We plan on using the X together during snow storms and have bought chains if we need to use both cars on bad days. My son waiting for the D version

It’s my wife’s. She has gone from i will divorce you if you buy the model S (I told her we all have to do what we have to do) to great excitement over this car. I am not that bad she was supposed to drive the S, but I took my punishment and kept the car for myself. When she got over it she decided she wanted the smaller one and waited years for it. I have to say it’s as good as my X with the only feature missing the heated steering wheel and the D. We plan on using the X together during snow storms and have bought chains if we need to use both cars on bad days. My son waiting for the D version

Great to hear the comparisons to the X. I have a similar story and my wife is so excited to get the 3! Since I've never even seen one in person, I'm really hoping we like it and it compares well to the S.

but I would feel a little silly if I kept creating threads about how great my car is and how much I love it etc...
I agree, if you kept creating posts about how much you like your car, you would be called a "fanboy." If someone else keeps creating posts about how much they don't like the car, they are identified as "realistic." It gets tedious.

I agree, if you kept creating posts about how much you like your car, you would be called a "fanboy." If someone else keeps creating posts about how much they don't like the car, they are identified as "realistic." It gets tedious.

They'd be right about me being a "fanboy". Just had a Tesla sign professionally made for my garage!!! LOL!!!

Great to hear the comparisons to the X. I have a similar story and my wife is so excited to get the 3! Since I've never even seen one in person, I'm really hoping we like it and it compares well to the S.
If you knew me you would never guess I would buy a car sight unseen never mind spend 60K on it. Tesla has generated a tremendous amount of trust for so many to do this

I took mine in today for a list to fix — nothing terrible. The “worst” item was a glass roof that was either slightly warped or just attached poorly and is being replaced, but I imagine some people would have been ok with it. We also had several panels that didn’t match up (including a “sagging hood”) and a few scratches that didn’t belong.

As for bias, I don’t think that accurately describes many of us. I suspect you are not as fussy as some of us and that’s not a bad thing. But I do think it will be good for Tesla long term if the early cars are brought up to the standards of the best auto manufacturers.

I suspect some of these “complaints” scare non-owners but they should know that a board like this will be heavily weighted to mentioning flaws. What gets overlooked perhaps is the fact Tesla owners as a group love their cars and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one. (National auto owner surveys prove that point.)

Tesla just seems to have an aggravating habit of leaving the minor manufacturing quality control to the service centers instead of being fussy at the factory.

I going to try the same tactic with my wife. My Model 3 may be available in mid 2018. She told me you don’t need the 3 because you just bought the S. I told her I’m selling my BMW.....the check engine light came on recently.

I going to try the same tactic with my wife. My Model 3 may be available in mid 2018. She told me you don’t need the 3 because you just bought the S. I told her I’m selling my BMW.....the check engine light came on recently.

I would like to try that excuse, but so far my 2004 Camry won't cooperate. Actually a good problem to have, considering the schedule slide. Still, I'll definitely be ready when my M3 is. Definitely!