Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have no keycards and phone disconnected ://

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I share this a Model 3 with my boyfriend and I.
I lost the first keycard and he broke the 2nd one, he figured it was useless and threw his away (Big freaking mistake).At first we panicked but realized that our phone keys were still connected.
My phone is disconnected from my car and driving to work is more frustrating than ever. It started acting up and now no longer works as a phone key since I need the previous (discarded) keycards to activate it as a phone key.

Does anyone know if I have to drive to a Tesla service? Or is mobile service would work too?

You can always use the Tesla app to unlock & start the car. Assuming phone and app have internet connection and your logged into the Tesla account. This is not using it “as a key”.

I would think mobile service can program a new key card. Open an appointment request in the app with the details of your request. I find that’s the easiest way to contact them.

Reactions: israndy
You can always use the Tesla app to unlock & start the car. Assuming phone and app have internet connection and your logged into the Tesla account. This is not using it “as a key”.

I would think mobile service can program a new key card. Open an appointment request in the app with the details of your request. I find that’s the easiest way to contact them.
I thought I replied to you earlier but I guess my wifi is also acting up haha. I just hate how I can’t even drive the car. ]

I’ll definitely check out the mobile service instead of deriving! Thank you!!

If you have the app logged into your account, you should be able to drive it.

The padlock button will unlock and the key button will enable you to start driving within the next 90 seconds or so.

1625748190919.png

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
If you have the app logged into your account, you should be able to drive it.

The padlock button will unlock and the key button will enable you to start driving within the next 90 seconds or so.

View attachment 682544

‘interesting because mine looks completely different from yours. Still saying I need to set up the phone as a key

Attachments

• 81264269-FC33-4F96-8563-BB9AB58EF532.jpeg
    81264269-FC33-4F96-8563-BB9AB58EF532.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 91
Great! Note this works where both the phone and car have connectivity. The phone doesn’t even have to be near the car.

It’s a risk in parking garages where the car may not get a signal or in the unlikely event of an at&t outage.

Mildly related:
For those not aware, if your phone has NFC and is setup as a key, you can tap your phone on the B pillar like you would a key card to lock/unlock the car.
While my phone has no issues 95% of the time, the few times it does act up, I just tap to get in and it usually reconnects by that point to drive off.

Haven't tested if leaving the phone where you're supposed to leave the key card will allow you to drive.

Mildly related:
For those not aware, if your phone has NFC and is setup as a key, you can tap your phone on the B pillar like you would a key card to lock/unlock the car.
While my phone has no issues 95% of the time, the few times it does act up, I just tap to get in and it usually reconnects by that point to drive off.

Haven't tested if leaving the phone where you're supposed to leave the key card will allow you to drive.
Does that apply to android and iOS? Or Android only?

OP you will need to get a keycard (at least one) replacement eventually. They are not completely useless. Even if your phone never fails, eventually you will need to switch to a new phone. I have my keycard in my wallet and used it exactly 1 time in the last 2 years... when my wife upgraded her phone to a new model. And using the Tesla app to open/start the car will only work if your phone has mobile data AND the car has internet access. Places like an underground garage or top of a mountain for a hike would likely prevented data to get to phone and car.

Reactions: Leeclanual