Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have no keycards and phone disconnected ://

TakiTuesday

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I share this a Model 3 with my boyfriend and I.
I lost the first keycard and he broke the 2nd one, he figured it was useless and threw his away (Big freaking mistake).At first we panicked but realized that our phone keys were still connected.
My phone is disconnected from my car and driving to work is more frustrating than ever. It started acting up and now no longer works as a phone key since I need the previous (discarded) keycards to activate it as a phone key.

Does anyone know if I have to drive to a Tesla service? Or is mobile service would work too?

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
You can always use the Tesla app to unlock & start the car. Assuming phone and app have internet connection and your logged into the Tesla account. This is not using it “as a key”.

I would think mobile service can program a new key card. Open an appointment request in the app with the details of your request. I find that’s the easiest way to contact them.

Reactions: Randy Spencer

TakiTuesday

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
You can always use the Tesla app to unlock & start the car. Assuming phone and app have internet connection and your logged into the Tesla account. This is not using it “as a key”.

I would think mobile service can program a new key card. Open an appointment request in the app with the details of your request. I find that’s the easiest way to contact them.
I thought I replied to you earlier but I guess my wifi is also acting up haha. I just hate how I can’t even drive the car. ]

I’ll definitely check out the mobile service instead of deriving! Thank you!!

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
If you have the app logged into your account, you should be able to drive it.

The padlock button will unlock and the key button will enable you to start driving within the next 90 seconds or so.

1625748190919.png

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch

TakiTuesday

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
If you have the app logged into your account, you should be able to drive it.

The padlock button will unlock and the key button will enable you to start driving within the next 90 seconds or so.

View attachment 682544

‘interesting because mine looks completely different from yours. Still saying I need to set up the phone as a key

Attachments

• 81264269-FC33-4F96-8563-BB9AB58EF532.jpeg
    81264269-FC33-4F96-8563-BB9AB58EF532.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 36

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Great! Note this works where both the phone and car have connectivity. The phone doesn’t even have to be near the car.

It’s a risk in parking garages where the car may not get a signal or in the unlikely event of an at&t outage.

Markardi

Feb 4, 2016
Ottawa
Mildly related:
For those not aware, if your phone has NFC and is setup as a key, you can tap your phone on the B pillar like you would a key card to lock/unlock the car.
While my phone has no issues 95% of the time, the few times it does act up, I just tap to get in and it usually reconnects by that point to drive off.

Haven't tested if leaving the phone where you're supposed to leave the key card will allow you to drive.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Mildly related:
For those not aware, if your phone has NFC and is setup as a key, you can tap your phone on the B pillar like you would a key card to lock/unlock the car.
While my phone has no issues 95% of the time, the few times it does act up, I just tap to get in and it usually reconnects by that point to drive off.

Haven't tested if leaving the phone where you're supposed to leave the key card will allow you to drive.
Does that apply to android and iOS? Or Android only?

DopeGhoti

Aug 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
My phone-key started acting up the other day, and it was resolved by turning Bluetooth off and on in the phone.

I would strongly suggest you get in touch with Tesla to get new keycards in case your phone gets lost or broken.

Reactions: brkaus

Need

Nov 22, 2017
Rancho Cucamonga
OP you will need to get a keycard (at least one) replacement eventually. They are not completely useless. Even if your phone never fails, eventually you will need to switch to a new phone. I have my keycard in my wallet and used it exactly 1 time in the last 2 years... when my wife upgraded her phone to a new model. And using the Tesla app to open/start the car will only work if your phone has mobile data AND the car has internet access. Places like an underground garage or top of a mountain for a hike would likely prevented data to get to phone and car.

Reactions: Leeclanual

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC