Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have some clear fluid from front of car that tastes acidic. Any ideas what it might be ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one thing I can think of that would be clear and acidic is if you have some fluid leaking from the 12V battery. This could be that the battery got pretty hot for some reason, steam vents, and then condenses to liquid. Or you could actually be a case where it is leaking.

Note - this would only apply if you do not have the new 2020 Plaid or LR version that uses as Lithium Ion battery have already replaced the lead acid version with a LiIon one.

Upvote 0
Perhaps simply AC evap drain water??

Reactions: rickyjb
Upvote 0
Perhaps simply AC evap drain water??

I also thought about simply AC condensate but I wouldn't have expected it to have the acidic taste, although that could depend heavily on the location (local air quality, what surfaces the condensate came in contact with, etc.)

Upvote 0
That's not actually from the car at all. Rats often take up residence in the cavities and like to chew through wires because their teeth are always growing so they need to gnaw. But you knew that, being in St. Louie.

What you've found is rat urine which can be colors ranging from transparent to straw-colored, depending on their diet and how must water they drink.

Rat urine is rich in nitrogen and minerals and is sterile like human urine, although unlike human urine, rat urine is good for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's not actually from the car at all. Rats often take up residence in the cavities and like to chew through wires because their teeth are always growing so they need to gnaw. But you knew that, being in St. Louie.

What you've found is rat urine which can be colors ranging from transparent to straw-colored, depending on their diet and how must water they drink.

Rat urine is rich in nitrogen and minerals and is sterile like human urine, although unlike human urine, rat urine is good for you.
😆mever knew that you are a biologist too.

Upvote 0
But what if, in a move to become even more eco friendly, Tesla started using Rat urine in their batteries. Now that would be confusing!
No need to worry about that. Although there are lots of freeable ions in rat urine it can't compete with lithium. Maybe though when lithium gets too expensive?

The good thing is a rat can reproduce 22 days after its born. Its gestation period is also 22 days, with about 12 ratlets being born in a litter so there's no shortage. The Norway rat (Rattus norvegicus) like those in St Louis, reaches ten inches in length not counting a seven- to eight-inch tail, will hold its breath for five minutes and swim a mile and a half just to reach your toilet or basement drain, and if cornered, will attack cats, dogs and humans.

The sad part is since the pandemic there is not enough food in St. Louis:
Rats forced to fight for food, cannibalize during pandemic; 'They will come back twice as strong,' says expert

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: TessP100D and VT_EE
Upvote 0
If he was [sic] he would know that urine is only sterile until it passes through the urethra. Nothing sterile (or acceptable) about what OP is tasting.
Nonsense. Unless your hygiene habits leave something to be desired, or you've been sticking it in questionable places.

I haven't had a wound get infected in 60 years, and there have been plenty, with no antobacterial treatment to all but major ones. Please use a washrag when you bathe; otherwise you can not remove the sebum ('human wax') which harbors bacteria. And don't skip anywhere FFS.

If you care about the environment and microplastics, avoid all microfiber materials, in favor of cotton. This means towels, bedlinens, furniture, etc where they have become rampant. This is true: Microplastics are so small they enter the bloodstream through the digestive tract, and some can even pass the blood/brain barrier, causing god-knows-what.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nonsense. Unless your hygiene habits leave something to be desired, or you've been sticking it in questionable places.

I haven't had a wound get infected in 60 years, and there have been plenty, with no antobacterial treatment to all but major ones. Please use a washrag when you bathe; otherwise you can not remove the sebum ('human wax') which harbors bacteria. And don't skip anywhere FFS.

If you care about the environment and microplastics, avoid all microfiber materials, in favor of cotton. Microplastics are so small they enter the bloodstream through the digestive tract, and some can even pass the blood/brain barrier, causing god-knows-what.
Never mind. Not worth it.

Upvote 0