Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have to replace front upper control arms and sway bar after 64K/4+ years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had some loud creaking while steering while in motion and the Bellevue WA Service Center informs me my both front upper control arms and the sway bar need to be replaced to the tune of $1827.50. My model X is 64K miles and just over 4 years (out of warranty) so this is very frustrating. No significant "events" have ever happened to the front end. (Was the victim of a slow speed rear ending 2 year ago). Anyone will similar experience?

Hi, thanks for posting your info. I am at 67,000, built March 2017. I do not have the issues you explained, however I have been on the lookout for things like this. I purchased the extended warranty before 50K, as a hedge. Additionally I am watching for auto suspension potential issues, which some forum posters have mentioned.

That said does your drive train warranty apply here? My brief recollection is it was 8yrs or 100K miles? Corrections appreciated.

Are they suggesting some form of driving / user error / is at play?

-TechVP

I just had both upper control arms replaced on my XP100D build date of 12/17. Mileage was same as yours when the problem started. At first it was just the left side that was a problem, but before I had my appointment, the right side started making noise too. Problems solved now that I had them done. Cost me almost $1100 for the service at Tesla.

Reactions: njhtran
2017 MX 100D w/55k miles, no extended warranty. Just developed a knocking from the front passenger suspension over uneven pavement. Thought it could be a sway bar link so I went to Bellevue SC, got a pair ($47 each) and replaced them but that didn't solve the knocking. Thinking it must be a control arm. Appointment scheduled for the 29th. *sigh*

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP
2017 MX 100D w/55k miles, no extended warranty. Just developed a knocking from the front passenger suspension over uneven pavement. Thought it could be a sway bar link so I went to Bellevue SC, got a pair ($47 each) and replaced them but that didn't solve the knocking. Thinking it must be a control arm. Appointment scheduled for the 29th. *sigh*

I had a knocking noise as well when going over small bumps. Little under 50k miles at the time. They ended up replacing the front passenger strut assembly. Luckily I was under the used Tesla warranty.

hope yours is something different/less costly!

I know this is a bit of an older post but wanted to check back in anyway to see how the resolution went. We have a 2013 Model S, air suspension, 113K, and I have a very similar issue. I had Renton look at at and they replaced the front suspension aft links (both). Didn't help. I then did the sway bar links myself as you did. Didn't help. I'm planning to hit up Bellevue for the next assessment as Renton doesn't seem to have the right expertise here. So, curious to if you ended up with an upper control arm replacement, a strut(?) replacement, etc. Our knock isn't a squeak, it's a good ole single clunk typically when reversing slowly, especially when the wheel is turned to the right. Does happen in forward over small bumps but is really pronounced when reversing out of our garage and it does it on an ever-so-slight elevation change. Appreciate any info (if you're still online).

I know this is a bit of an older post but wanted to check back in anyway to see how the resolution went. We have a 2013 Model S, air suspension, 113K, and I have a very similar issue. I had Renton look at at and they replaced the front suspension aft links (both). Didn't help. I then did the sway bar links myself as you did. Didn't help. I'm planning to hit up Bellevue for the next assessment as Renton doesn't seem to have the right expertise here. So, curious to if you ended up with an upper control arm replacement, a strut(?) replacement, etc. Our knock isn't a squeak, it's a good ole single clunk typically when reversing slowly, especially when the wheel is turned to the right. Does happen in forward over small bumps but is really pronounced when reversing out of our garage and it does it on an ever-so-slight elevation change. Appreciate any info (if you're still online).
Update: I was finally able to replicate in the garage, tried with wheel off but no go, however did get it with wheel back on. It's the upper control arm for sure. The ball joint seems bone dry. Going to look at options to maybe grease as-is to buy some time before any service.

Hi, Guicane. I ended up having Bellevue Service Center replace both arms. It’s a bummer that the ball joint is embedded in the arm as the fix could be much less costly but I assume the engineering and manufacturing dictate the need to keep them this way. Possibly my S60 went longer on miles due to not being as heavy with battery weight. Just a guess though. If anything… this is a cost that should be expected every 4-5 years in the heavier vehicles. Definitely kicks up the TCO.

Reactions: guicane
Hi, Guicane. I ended up having Bellevue Service Center replace both arms. It’s a bummer that the ball joint is embedded in the arm as the fix could be much less costly but I assume the engineering and manufacturing dictate the need to keep them this way. Possibly my S60 went longer on miles due to not being as heavy with battery weight. Just a guess though. If anything… this is a cost that should be expected every 4-5 years in the heavier vehicles. Definitely kicks up the TCO.
Telsa "fixed" one of my creaky ball joints. And by fixed, I mean they smothered in in silicone.

Reactions: guicane
As long as the replacement lasts a few years I don't mind paying to have it fixed but I have been reading from others that after this fix the problem comes back shortly after. I plan on moving on to a Model Y in the near future so hopefully it won't break on me next time.

I had some loud creaking while steering while in motion and the Bellevue WA Service Center informs me my both front upper control arms and the sway bar need to be replaced to the tune of $1827.50. My model X is 64K miles and just over 4 years (out of warranty) so this is very frustrating. No significant "events" have ever happened to the front end. (Was the victim of a slow speed rear ending 2 year ago). Anyone will similar experience?
I have a question that is slightly off topic, regarding DXFSrepos LLC. I am interested in a vehicle that they have for sale but the website looks very suspicious and, the website "scam or legit" rated it as highly suspicious. Red flags go up when a business wants your driver's license and personal information and then want you to send a bank transfer of $50,000 for a vehicle that you cannot see beforehand or inspect. Any information, suggestions are advice on how to prove their legitimacy would be appreciated. Thank you

I have a question that is slightly off topic, regarding DXFSrepos LLC. I am interested in a vehicle that they have for sale but the website looks very suspicious and, the website "scam or legit" rated it as highly suspicious. Red flags go up when a business wants your driver's license and personal information and then want you to send a bank transfer of $50,000 for a vehicle that you cannot see beforehand or inspect. Any information, suggestions are advice on how to prove their legitimacy would be appreciated. Thank you

Quick Google shows they are fake.

Not all places are sketchty, but there are some sketchty places that look really legit. That being said, not all places are out to get you. I bought my car from a used dealer, wired them money, and did the inspection via email photos. Very, very happen with them.

I had a nasty creaking sound from the front sway bars on my P85D when going over anything slowly that caused a difference in wheel height between the left and right front wheels.

I quick shot of silicon grease in the sway bar bushing solved it.
I've found something like liquid graphite works best on sway bushings. The greases always seem to attract all the dirt and grime from the planet