Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope there's an aftermarket version of this

Dave B

Mar 20, 2016
Alpharetta, GA
autotwb2600.png

I've already taken delivery of my 3, and this could be useful in Atlanta traffic. :D

ggr

Expert in Dunning-Kruger Effect!
Supporting Member
Mar 24, 2011
San Diego, CA
When I was very small, I dreamed about mounting a bazooka in one of our trucks (my parents ran a trucking company). 55 years later...

• Funny
Reactions: Dave B

wdolson

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
Just for comparison a US Navy WW II vintage 5 inch naval gun (main armament on destroyers and secondary armament on everything larger) has a muzzle energy of 7.8 MJ. The main gun on the Abrams tank firing an armor piercing round is 11.1 MJ of energy. The high explosive round (which also has anti-tank capabilities) has a muzzle energy of 7.0 MJ.

A rail gun capable of these characteristics would have a muzzle energy of 8.5 MJ. So your hitting power would be somewhere in the range of a modern tank and line up a few Model 3s and your hitting power would be a bit better than a WW II destroyer broadside.

Firing each round would take 2.6 KWh of battery energy.

Your moment of geek...

evp

Nerd
Nov 28, 2014
Arvada, CO
A rail gun capable of these characteristics would have a muzzle energy of 8.5 MJ. So your hitting power would be somewhere in the range of a modern tank. Firing each round would take 2.6 KWh of battery energy.
Oh good. So we don't use it to get the Atlanta driver's attention; we use it to remove them from the road.

I wanted to call my Tesla "Gort" after the robot in The Day The Earth Stood Still because the nose cone reminded me of Gort's visor. But I figured that would be wrong because I didn't have an actual death ray behind the nose cone. So I changed it to Klaatu, the spaceman in the movie.

After I get one of these installed, I'm going to change the name back.

220px-Gort_Firing.jpg

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC