TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I hope there's an aftermarket version of this

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dave B, May 4, 2018.

1. Dave B

Dave B Member

autotwb2600.png
    I've already taken delivery of my 3, and this could be useful in Atlanta traffic. :D

• Funny x 11
  2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

When used against tailgaters, it's range neutral.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  3. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

I want this for....reasons.....

• Funny x 2
  4. Acho

Acho Member

If you need this on sticker let me know

• Like x 2
  5. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29, M3P 80k

When I was very small, I dreamed about mounting a bazooka in one of our trucks (my parents ran a trucking company). 55 years later...

• Funny x 1
  6. Acho

Acho Member

I am too broke for bazooka but nice .50 BMG will make me feel good ;)

• Funny x 1
  7. evp

evp Nerd

Having charged twice in Atlanta - I think you're going to need a higher firing rate than 4 rounds per minute.

• Funny x 3
  8. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Just for comparison a US Navy WW II vintage 5 inch naval gun (main armament on destroyers and secondary armament on everything larger) has a muzzle energy of 7.8 MJ. The main gun on the Abrams tank firing an armor piercing round is 11.1 MJ of energy. The high explosive round (which also has anti-tank capabilities) has a muzzle energy of 7.0 MJ.

A rail gun capable of these characteristics would have a muzzle energy of 8.5 MJ. So your hitting power would be somewhere in the range of a modern tank and line up a few Model 3s and your hitting power would be a bit better than a WW II destroyer broadside.

Firing each round would take 2.6 KWh of battery energy.

Your moment of geek...

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. evp

evp Nerd

Oh good. So we don't use it to get the Atlanta driver's attention; we use it to remove them from the road.

I wanted to call my Tesla "Gort" after the robot in The Day The Earth Stood Still because the nose cone reminded me of Gort's visor. But I figured that would be wrong because I didn't have an actual death ray behind the nose cone. So I changed it to Klaatu, the spaceman in the movie.

After I get one of these installed, I'm going to change the name back.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1