Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope this means a functioning sunroof will return to the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've seen many changes made to the Model S over the years and many have been thoughtful improvements. While no other car manufacturer improves their vehicles as much as Tesla, the decontenting of the interior has been a bit disappointing with the removal of the sunroof and interior trim selections for Performance Model S. I realize they need to simplify manufacturing but the Model S is the flagship and I wish they would restore the option of a sunroof that can be opened.

I just read this article about a sunroof patent by Tesla that can also provide lighting, and I really hope this means a functioning sunroof that can be opened will return to the Model S.

Tesla designs new sunroof with electrical tint and integrated lighting system

With such a large glass roof and the silence of the Model S, being able to open the sunroof on a beautiful day really is a wonderful experience when driving on a scenic road with pleasant weather. The sunroof is a must have feature for us, given how often we use ours.

had a conversation with a service center tech while doing a "noise locating" drive. we were talking about random tesla related stuff and i mentioned my disappointment that no current tesla includes a sunroof option. he responded saying the take rate was very low and tesla decided to scrap it.

take it as you will, that comment did not lower my disappointment. :D

I doubt this means a sunroof that opens is on the way. The patent sounds like features found on Boeing 787 Dreamliner with electronically adjustable tinting. Very cool. But that would be more complicated to implement with moving parts that require power / LED wiring, etc.

Reactions: croman
I've had an opening sunroof on my two Model Ss. On the first evening driving home with the first car, we opened the roof, which had become a moon roof as we drove, and enjoyed the air blowing our hair around and cooling the heated air from the vents. Never had a reason to open the roof after that. 165,000 miles later I'm not even sure I know how to open it now. Those of you who MUST have a functioning roof, buy a used Tesla and complain of not having FSD or something. Most roofs don't open. If Tesla offered an opening roof as an option for $1000, I bet it would not sell.

had a conversation with a service center tech while doing a "noise locating" drive. we were talking about random tesla related stuff and i mentioned my disappointment that no current tesla includes a sunroof option. he responded saying the take rate was very low and tesla decided to scrap it.

take it as you will, that comment did not lower my disappointment. :D

Oh we know very well that statement is not true. Just look up the available CPO/used listings. Over 80% of the cars were configured with a sunroof. The sunroof was likely one of their most popular options.

Just like the ventilated seats, I really hope that if they need to redesign the sunroof, they do that, and it is made available as an option once more. We use our sunroof all the time and can't imagine buying a future car without it.

I feel like with the sunroof removal and decontenting some of the interior options and trims, they've somewhat takes Model S sales for granted. Especially now that for half the cost of a Model S you can buy a very competent Model 3, offering features like a sunroof for customers who want one become more important. The removal of the sunroof can't possibly be helping Model S sales.

As it is, I'd rather buy a used 2018 Model S with a sunroof over a brand new 2019 Model S with no option for a sunroof.

I've had an opening sunroof on my two Model Ss. On the first evening driving home with the first car, we opened the roof, which had become a moon roof as we drove, and enjoyed the air blowing our hair around and cooling the heated air from the vents. Never had a reason to open the roof after that. 165,000 miles later I'm not even sure I know how to open it now. Those of you who MUST have a functioning roof, buy a used Tesla and complain of not having FSD or something. Most roofs don't open. If Tesla offered an opening roof as an option for $1000, I bet it would not sell.

You seem to mistakenly assume all Model S buyers are like you.

There are 286 CPO Model S vehicles for sale at the moment. Out of which, 209 were configured with a sunroof. That's a take-rate of nearly 75%.

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

And many of those customers paid over $1,000 for that option so your "bet" about it not selling is neither grounded in fact nor reality.

As for your statement about "most roofs don't open," perhaps true for econo boxes, but it is tough to find a car over $50K without a sunroof that can be opened. It's an option that is virtually taken for granted in the premium car segment, because it is such a popular option, as I've shown above with the CPO stats.

Oh we know very well that statement is not true. Just look up the available CPO/used listings. Over 80% of the cars were configured with a sunroof. The sunroof was likely one of their most popular options.

Was that ratio from back before when the only options where sun roof versus body color roof? I think the ratio might have gone down considerably once it was sun roof versus fixed all glass roof.

That said, I like my sun roof and my 5 year-old loves it. :)

The large sunroof is really one of our favorite features of the car. We use it all the time. Even on super hot days in the DC area, the weather is nice enough in the evenings to enjoy having it open. I actually prefer to keep the windows rolled up with just the sunroof open for fresh air so we don't have to keep the AC running and it offers better sound insulation when listening to music around traffic.

The sunroof is especially wonderful when we visit Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive, and other tranquil places with lots of nature so the sun and wind can be all around us.

Really surprised that they discontinued the sunroof and I'm so glad this option was available for us when we bought the car. We've gotten so used to having sunroofs in past cars that not having one would make us feel like we are in a capsule.

Hope they bring back the sun and the wind for the Model S with an open sunroof!

Was that ratio from back before when the only options where sun roof versus body color roof? I think the ratio might have gone down considerably once it was sun roof versus fixed all glass roof.

Good theory and I think you’re probably right. Unfortunately it’s hard to confirm as Tesla has too few used 2017+ models on offer to draw any meaningful conclusions.

That said, I like my sun roof and my 5 year-old loves it. :)

Still, it was a popular option. So popular that people paid around $2,000 for it and we would have have paid even more. If we had to buy again, we'd look for a used Model S with a sunroof and the point is Tesla should make thew new cars just as appealing with options as their previously sold cars.

Next to the acceleration, software technology, it's the sunroof that we love the most about our Model S. Another factor is I can't afford this car AND a convertible so for me, the large sunroof is the closest I can come to enjoying a bit of the convertible sun and wind experience :D

I really hope the sunroof returns, as an available option. It would also help differentiate the Model S from the more Spartanly optioned Model 3 as well...

They sold boatloads of them for $1500-2500.

The problem is the whole thing is a warmed over turd as far as longevity/reliability goes and they probably needed to charge $4k to break even on their warranty costs.

But the fact is if they could build a functioning falcon wing door, they can certainly build a functioning and reliable sunroof. Panorama sunroof technology has existed and has been perfected for nearly 2 decades. Several of our previous Mercedes vehicles have had this option and they all worked super well.

I wonder what percentage of these sunroof issues they had could have been fixed by training service center staff on the proper use and application of Dupont Krytox. Once I had rattles and squeaks and this is what our Mercedes dealer applied to the roof railings and it instantly fixed all the issues.

When Silver Metallic went, Tesla said it is still possible to order but at a higher price. this should also be the case for the sunroof was confirmed to me by a Tesla Sales advisor in november 2018. I took delivery of a Silver Metallic with the sunroof beginning of december and absolutely love that sunroof. Would not want to miss it and hope it keeps on working like a charm :)

Reactions: DCEV
If anything this would mean the sunroof is less likely to return. Having that tech + being on a moving platform is more complex, wires will need to be movable, etc. They might just stick with all glass and let you "close" it with this. Would honestly be pretty cool but I'll really miss the sunroof if/when I ever have to replace my S!

When Silver Metallic went, Tesla said it is still possible to order but at a higher price. this should also be the case for the sunroof was confirmed to me by a Tesla Sales advisor in november 2018.

It was an "off menu" item for an extended period, but as of now several inquiries by different individuals have confirmed it's really gone.

Last edited:
If anything this would mean the sunroof is less likely to return. Having that tech + being on a moving platform is more complex, wires will need to be movable, etc. They might just stick with all glass and let you "close" it with this. Would honestly be pretty cool but I'll really miss the sunroof if/when I ever have to replace my S!

I would totally pick a sunroof I can actually open over what is described in this patent with the fancy electronic shading and lighting.

In fact I'd pay a premium for a sunroof that can be opened over what is described in this patent.

I hope the fact that they brought back ventilated seats gives some hope that a functioning sunroof will return to the Model S as an available option.