Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I installed the electric frunk for the Plaid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Congratulations!! Did you make an install video for the rest of us noobs? 😃
Afraid not. But I edited my post to include the install video from the manufacturer for a different variant for the pre-refresh S. It has some differences from the refresh version (like the fact that the spring on the latch that you need to temporarily remove is completely different in the refresh vs the install video) but with the install video and the install manual you should be able to figure it out.

Also install the telegram app if you haven’t already so you can communicate with their tech support for things that are not in the manual/video (like the fact that it wouldn’t latch with the storage bin inside the frunk—they suggested I raise the latch just a little bit and that seemed to fix it). But I think they’re located in China (or at least in a different time zone from me) so don’t always expect an immediate answer. Might have to wait till the next day.

Plus I’ll try to help with any questions as much as I can!

That shake at the top of the hinge is always concerning, even without the electronic frunk. Let us know if you have any long term issues with it! I've debated doing this, but with how small the frunk is, I don't know how often I'll be accessing it.

That shake at the top of the hinge is always concerning, even without the electronic frunk. Let us know if you have any long term issues with it! I've debated doing this, but with how small the frunk is, I don't know how often I'll be accessing it.
Will do. I can slow down the motor so it raises the hood slower. Maybe that would help with the shake? The new struts are definitely beefier than the OEM ones to the point that it’s really hard to manually pull the hood down if you ever needed to.

Reactions: Alex Philips
Yes EVOffer has a list of recommended installers but they’re only in a few locations. You can find them here.
I don't see anything on that page. It just says "Seattle, Wa" and clicking on directions...just opens Google Maps in Seattle.

1649360449435.png

They use whatsapp for contact/support.
And Facebook messenger. Both whatsapp and facebook chat can be found here for them

I installed mine today. Similar problem that it isn't latching fully after installing the trim - I ran out of time and need to take things apart to adjust.

Running the emergency release cable to the tow hook cover required some contortions - at least I was able to do it by feel. Disappointed that there isn't a better place to tap the 12v supply - wrapping and taping doesn't seem like a good long term solution.

Otherwise the biggest issue I had was the need to figure out places and mounts for the latch motor and the control unit. I see that even in the previous versions it was an unaddressed issue.

I installed mine today. Similar problem that it isn't latching fully after installing the trim - I ran out of time and need to take things apart to adjust.

Running the emergency release cable to the tow hook cover required some contortions - at least I was able to do it by feel. Disappointed that there isn't a better place to tap the 12v supply - wrapping and taping doesn't seem like a good long term solution.

Otherwise the biggest issue I had was the need to figure out places and mounts for the latch motor and the control unit. I see that even in the previous versions it was an unaddressed issue.
So I fixed the latching issue by raising the entire latch mechanism. You’ll notice if you loosen the two bolts that secure the latch that it lets you move the entire mechanism up and down a few millimeters. Just move the whole thing up and it should latch. The potential problem though is that raising the latch can introduce a gap near the front sides of the hood. So you may have to play around with raising it just enough to latch while minimizing the gap it causes. I also made sure the the two rubber stoppers near the front of the hood were screwed all the way in to rule out them being the cause of the gap.

EVOffer says the problematic latching may be due to the spring on the latch being stronger on the refresh so they are working on a spring replacement and will send it out to whoever needs it. So it may be worth reaching out to them.

Last edited:
This may seem like a minor achievement to most but I’ve never really done this kind of work before. If anyone needs help from a total noob who managed to get it done, let me know. Behold the work of mine own hands!

Helpful Links:
The product (Variant C for the refresh)
The install manual
The install video for Variant B which has some differences from Variant C but still very helpful
I installed mine today. My frunk closes fully then raises about 1/4 inch. Still shut and locked as far as I can tell. It also makes a pretty loud pop when it releases to open. I may need to adjust the latch. Does yours do either of those?