Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just added a standard range Model Y to my garage to join my long range Model Y. Range thoughts...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Local (city) driving efficiency suffers most in cold weather. Short distance trips are the most inefficient as far as warming the passenger cabin and the battery. To be reasonably efficient in cold weather you would need to drive for ~30 minutes. Even if you turn off the climate control the Tesla Model Y's thermal management will automatically warm or cool the battery as needed for optimum performance.

You can improve local driving efficiency by preconditioning while plugged in for ~10 minutes before driving. Some or most of energy used to warm the passenger cabin and the battery can be put back into the battery using power from the grid if the Tesla vehicle is plugged in while preconditioning.

To compare efficiency of city versus highway driving without the impact of climate control and battery warming you could drive a test loop in mild temperatures, i.e. 75F; not much heating or cooling needed.