Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just configured a Chevy Bolt. How much does yours cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But what if you wanted to make a single 500+ mile road trip in all the time you own the car... You'd have to make a 9 hour pit stop.

It might be a fun little city car for anyone without friends or family.
You're pretending to only own the car for a year or two? Within the next 2-3 years we should see a rapid rollout of 200A+ DC CCS chargers paid for with VW dieselgate settlement money much like the charging that is being talked about for Europe next year.

If you live in east or west coastal areas of the US you could already do a 500 mile road trip this year just using DC charging -- I plan to do a 1,000 mile trip from the San Francisco area to San Diego entirely on "50 kW" CCS (except for the preceding night's regular charge) almost immediately after I get my Bolt next month.

Oh yeah, forgot about that, it supports level 3 there's only a 2 hour penalty (assuming level 3 chargers in range).
Your quoting the time from a MotorTrend article to charge a Bolt from empty to 100% full which few people do in time sensitive situations. Charging an hour is supposed to add 160 miles and people on Tesla road trips typically charge at mileage intervals no longer than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic
No Bolt for me but I applaud GM for (hopefully) leading a long-range EV trend in the mainstream auto industry. All these sub-100 mile EV's need to go for a larger number of people to consider the switch. You could say the sub-200 mile cars should go too. 200+ will begin to convince people and we start with the Bolt.

Reactions: gene
Please, you've already stated you aren't interested in another Tesla, nor a BEV in general.

Pick your next ICE vehicle and go post inane comments on that forum.

e31.jpg

Attachments

• e31.jpg
    e31.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Funny
How long before Chevy confiscates your Bolt, and then scraps it? Sorry, just a little bitter from the way their EV-1 turned out. That set the electric vehicle world back 15 years.
If you can buy it, never. The EV-1 was only leased, that's how they were able to take them all and crush them.

Of course, if the people on this forum have their way, it would be perfectly ok for Chevy to simply disable it remotely, after all, they own the software, even if you bought it outright.

How long before Chevy confiscates your Bolt, and then scraps it? Sorry, just a little bitter from the way their EV-1 turned out. That set the electric vehicle world back 15 years.

I have the exact opposite view. I think if GM had continued with the EV-1, it would be set back electric car adoption 15 years. Battery tech 20 years ago just wasn't there and having to replace a 1200lb battery (at an undisclosed price, likely over $15,000) every 20,000 miles would have made electric cars seem horrible.

Killing the EV-1 left the public with a romanticised and positive view of a deeply flawed product. If GM didn't kill the EV-1 I believe the EV-1 would have killed any prospects of an electric car like Tesla becoming popular.

• Informative
I have the exact opposite view. I think if GM had continued with the EV-1, it would be set back electric car adoption 15 years. Battery tech 20 years ago just wasn't there and having to replace a 1200lb battery (at an undisclosed price, likely over $15,000) every 20,000 miles would have made electric cars seem horrible.

Killing the EV-1 left the public with a romanticised and positive view of a deeply flawed product. If GM didn't kill the EV-1 I believe the EV-1 would have killed any prospects of an electric car like Tesla becoming popular.
By "replace a 1200lb battery (at an undisclosed price, likely over $15,000) every 20,000 miles" I assume you are referring to the EV-1's lead acid pack.

Towards the end of the program, GM introduced a NiMH battery pack that had a longer 100+ mile range and a longer cycle life. The Toyota RAV4 conversion EV that Toyota put out using a NiMH pack had a very good reputation for lasting near 100,000 miles before replacement. I still see those cars on the road around the San Francisco Bay Area occasionally because Toyota eventually agreed not to crush them.

When GM killed the EV-1, they sold the key NiMH patent rights they had acquired to Texaco which was then acquired by Chevron which then infamously forbid the production of large format battery packs for EVs but allowed small packs for hybrids like those used in the Prius.

From the modest amount that I know about the EV-1 era, yes, it was probably premature and unrealistic to introduce mainstream all-electric cars at that time because of battery costs. Fortunately, consumer electronics like cell phones and laptops kept the Lithium ion battery industry and R&D alive and Tesla and the 2nd generation plugins came along to further drive up production volume and energy density while driving down costs. Finally, BEVs today are on the threshold of becoming completely cost competitive while enabling clean renewable energy and providing a much better drivetrain experience.

I'm glad that we now have the information online to more fully evaluate the Bolt. Of course at this point it is not possible to make a comparison to the Model 3 at a detailed level since we are months away from having access to the Model 3 configurator.

That said, it is obvious that right now the Bolt does not have, at any price, numerous features that I am certain the Model 3 will offer as options:
  • Dual Motor /AWD (Bolt is FWD only, which to me is a negative, prefer RWD if just have a single motor)
  • Higher capacity battery (likely to be at least 75kWh compared to single choice of 60kWh in the Bolt)
  • Performance version that will almost certainly offer a 0-60 time twice as quick as the Bolt (and the base Model 3 0-60 time will surely be significantly quicker than the Bolt time of 6.5 seconds)
  • Autopilot (Bolt has some very limited self driving features but not at all comparable)
  • Sunroof or Glass Roof (I can't find any mention of a Bolt sunroof)
  • Towing capability that Elon has stated the Model 3 will have (I can't find any mention of a Bolt towing option)
  • Bigger wheels, Model 3 will have 20" wheel option (Bolt appears to have only a single base wheel size)
Standard on the Model 3 and not available on the Bolt:
  • Charging at up to 120kW (in the real world right now the Bolt will max out at about 50kW with its optional DC charging)
  • Tesla Supercharger network in North America, Western Europe, China, Japan, Australia, and growing rapidly
  • Seats 5 adults instead of 4
  • Frunk (no frunk in the Bolt)
  • A beautiful body design (okay, that is my subjective assessment)
There are some features of the Bolt that may not be available on the Model 3, but given we know very little about Model 3 options at this point I am not going to try to list them. But I am happy to acknowledge that the Bolt may well have some optional features not available on the 3. We will just have to wait and see.

My conclusion is that the Bolt is not even in the same class as the Model 3 in terms of capability, important features, or style. But I hope GM sells a lot of Bolts because that will be good for EV adoption in general.

There are some features of the Bolt that may not be available on the Model 3, but given we know very little about Model 3 options at this point I am not going to try to list them. But I am happy to acknowledge that the Bolt may well have some optional features not available on the 3. We will just have to wait and see.
There's one huge (literally and figuratively) feature the Bolt has that most here agree will not be available on the 3 (despite what some holdouts might argue). Just to be dramatic, I will say no more...

There's one huge (literally and figuratively) feature the Bolt has that most here agree will not be available on the 3 (despite what some holdouts might argue). Just to be dramatic, I will say no more...
Hatchback? I completely forgot about that!

Yes the hatch on the Bolt is an advantage compared to the Model 3, in my opinion and I believe in the opinion of many others.

Still, let's see what the production Model 3 trunk access is like in real life. It might be better than some think.

Reactions: Sonny Daze