TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I just duct taped my Model X...per instruction

Discussion in 'Model X' started by RKap, Oct 12, 2016.

1. RKap

RKap Member

I got my X in August (vin 122xx) and have been lucky there have been no major issues. I started having lots of phantom obstacles all around the car last week, so when I was reversing at .5 mph to park (me, not the car), I ignored a sensor since I didn't see an issue and I gently bumped a trash can next to the road. And that caused my passenger side mirror panel to pop off, exposing all the wiring. Some tabs broke and it can't pop back on.

After 8 unreturned calls to the San Rafael service center, we finally talk to Dublin and they said we can't drive it in the rain (and, of course, it will finally rain) and it would take weeks to get the part, paint, etc. I got Roadside Assistance to finally connect with San Rafael, since 1) this is my only car, 2) it is our family car for our 1.5 year old twins, and 3) we are going out of town tomorrow. They ordered a new panel, but we were told to put a plastic bag and duct tape the side mirror.

So I just duct taped my beautiful, expensive blue Model X. If you see us on the road, please know this hurts me much, much more than you... :(

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  2. ThomasB

ThomasB Member

Man i am sorry to hear this... It sucks SC don't have spare parts in stock but then again even garages don't care any more parts.

Can we have a picture ?:)

3. RKap

RKap Member

I feel like an @sshole.
    IMG_4399.JPG IMG_4400.JPG

Attached Files:

• Funny x 7
    • Dislike x 1
  4. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

5. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

Hope yhe parts come in soon so you are back to 100%. On the good side, at least it is still functional. Sure beats a non-locking pax door held partialy closed by a bungee chord.

• Funny x 2
  6. hmmm

hmmm Member

TBH, @ThomasB should the one feeling like one for asking for a pic and making your pain even worse. JK. :)

Sorry for your (temporary) loss. I will honk and wave if I see you in traffic tomorrow.

• Like x 1
  7. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  8. ModelX

ModelX Member

So sorry! Hope they can get to it soon!

9. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Member

10. DrivingTheFuture

Sorry for your loss, but as a wise old man once said, this too shall pass ;) And remember, even with the duck tape, you're still driving the coolest car in the world.

11. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Gorilla makes a strong clear tape with little residue. Nobody mentioned my passenger door taped shut during a Tesla Moment discussion.

• Funny x 1
  12. tachyon

tachyon Member

Really Sorry that this happened to you.
    On the bright side, you just solved a big problem for SpaceX
    now we know what the Mars stronauts will be stocking up on their spaceX flight

13. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

Sorry to see that. However, you seem to have some very good duct tape skills. At 70MPH no one will notice...

• Funny x 1
  14. Soolim

Soolim Member

you just created a new fashion for MX. It is called shredded mirror. Just like the shredded jeans. Make sure to copyright the design quickly, before imitators come.

15. ThomasB

ThomasB Member

Don't feel bad... i am just curious.. I actually imagined it a lot worse then what i see on your picture... You still have a nice car! :) I like the color of your seats.