Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just got big-timed by a fellow Tesla. 85s can't hang with P85Ds apparently...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've waved and I've been waved at. I return when possible, but there are so many Teslas in the Bay Area, I would be taking one hand off the wheel like 20 times a day. I'm all for being kind though, but doing so safely.

Soon, Teslas will be very commonplace and you don't see Toyota Camry drivers waving at each other. I hope for a future where EVs (especially Teslas!) are so common, no one waves because gasoline is dead.

- K

Besides, don't let that Cayman go to your head. It is just a hardtop Boxster, after all. :tongue:

True, but the convertible nature of the Boxster meant that it split who bought the car into two very distinct groups.

One group was the 911/Cayman owners who were driving enthusiast and wanted a drivers car.

The other group was more generalist who didn't really care about ever tracking the car. They were like Cayenne type owners who didn't really understand what owning a Porsche was all about. They just wanted a Sporty convertible.

So yeah there probably was a little bit of "You're not a REAL Porsche owner" going on. Ha!

But, it also came down to the fact that so many Boxsters were in the roads around me that it wasn't all that special. The thing about living in the pacific northwest is even though we only get a few months of sun those few months are REALLY, REALLY appreciated. So convertibles sell pretty well and the Boxster sold like hotcakes.

Last edited:
if everybody waved at each other while driving in NJ that'd start a new road rage problem with people fighting over not enough handicap spaces available to cover all the one arm drivers. though admittedly watching one arm fist fights might be quite entertaining.

Absolutely don't let this dampen your spirit. Some people buy the P85D solely for speed. They technically aren't energy "converts" and don't value any EV comradery whatsoever. I'm not making a character judgement, more power to them, just recognizing that the P version paints with a broad brush.

In this part of the South, we'll wave at pretty much anyone. As best I can tell, standard waving situations include (1) Any pedestrian in your local neighborhood (2) Any pedestrian in any residential community because they have no idea if you live there or not (3) Anyone who owns the same model car (4) Anyone who owns the same make of car if the make is somewhat uncommon (all Porsches or BMWs, but not all Toyotas or Lexuses) (5) Anyone who owns the same category of car if that category is sufficiently uncommon like EVs (6) Anyone who thinks you or your car looks like one belonging to someone they know or are related to (7) Anyone who thinks you car is "cool" in some way -- My 95 Toyota Supra gets this all the time as does the Tesla.

As a result, I probably wave to about 80% of the pedestrians and 5% of the cars I encounter. Its exhausting. I might have to get license plates from some northern state to exempt myself from this.

Either recently there are more Teslas in Charlotte since we now have a store and service center, or I'm noticing them more as a owner. That said, often times I barely get a chance to notice them as we often go in opposite directions. I've yet to come up beside one, but when at a light or something where I get enough notice, I roll down my window and throw out a wave. So far it's always been reciprocated.

There's a red Model S in my area that I keep missing (see him in the same parking lot, but don't cross paths). The other day we were driving in opposite directions and he sticks his hand out to window and waves. My window is cracked and I'm excited to wave back. My window wasn't open enough and I end up just getting it stuck in the window and not really waving at all. He probably just saw one finger sticking out.

1283729.jpg

I always waive but I think my windows are tinted too dark for anyone to see. But I'll continue to wave anyhow. I appreciate anyone bold enough to create and embrace change. It's an EV revolution, get on board (and waived at) or get out of the way.

LetsGoFast is right ..... just getting out of my neighborhood will wear out the old waving arm ... with the Teslas .... people are a little slow because they aren't used to it ... but they still wave .... as far as recognizing cars around me .... first I'm watching the road ... and then all the cool stuff on the Tesla screen ... watching regenerative braking and adaptive cruise control with quick glances .... so many times I just catch out of the corner of my eye someone looking or making a hand sign and I'm gone ... It used to be really funny ... I had a Hummer H2 for years .. you could tell the green people as they glared at me like the devil .... now I get smiles from more people ...:) but now the darn big tire truck people glare ..... oh well can't please no one but yourself mostly ... :) ...and I'm pleased with my beast ..... :)