Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just hit something in the middle of the road noooooo!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was dark and I hit something in the middle of the road. Could not even see what it was but it seems small enough to drive over. Massive thud as it hit. Pulled over and theres blue liquid pouring out. Messages of low coolant - save to drive. Then reduced power and reduced speed to 60 mph. Clearly whatever I hit has caused some damage. I think its battery coolant but I am not sure. Wondered if others have gone through this. Maddening.

IMG_7722.jpg

It was dark and I hit something in the middle of the road. Could not even see what it was but it seems small enough to drive over. Massive thud as it hit. Pulled over and theres blue liquid pouring out. Messages of low coolant - save to drive. Then reduced power and reduced speed to 60 mph. Clearly whatever I hit has caused some damage. I think its battery coolant but I am not sure. Wondered if others have gone through this. Maddening.

View attachment 874020
Would you mind sharing a photo further out to have a better idea of the exact location...thanks.

Reactions: Pianewman
Damage under front motor (Tesla Model Y Performance). Not a scratch on the front bumper or bumper underside. So the object was low enough to pass under the front bumper but did some big damage. In the daylight I think I see damage to the frame. I cant get hold of anyone at Tesla at this time. I guess I have to wait until Monday.
IMG_7739.jpg
IMG_7748.jpg
IMG_7762.jpg

Did the coolant leak from a the hose damaged during the rock/hard object impact ? No way of knowing any other damage to the battery from external view - So as others suggested , its best to get the insurance involved as costs for repair can be fairly high.

Reactions: karkrazy
How involved is the process of swapping the factory shields out with these? Obviously a lift is needed but is it as simple as pulling the bolts out and replacing the new one or is it more involved (I.e. having to remove bumpers, side sills etc..)?

This seems like a great use of the money for the insurance it provides. Although I hate RPM after my last dealings with them - horrible customer service and the owner is a massive clown.

I prefer Mountain Pass Performance for shields, but that's an opinion, of course. Quick turnaround, solid customer service.
I don't know of a shield that covers the battery?

ScoobyDoo82: EASY install, hardware replaces the OEM hardware, perfect alignment with OEM holes, etc.

I also have the MPP front shield. I'm wondering, though, if it would have helped carpendj's impact? It might have deflected it downward, but the impact to the floor under the battery might still have occurred.

OP: horrible situation, hope insurance works smoothly for you. (The eternal "insurance" irony...we never know how good our insurance is until AFTER a claim is made, and we see if our premium is affected!)

Reactions: carpendj
Reactions: carpendj