Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just hit something in the middle of the road noooooo!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have the MPP front shield. I'm wondering, though, if it would have helped carpendj's impact? It might have deflected it downward, but the impact to the floor under the battery might still have occurred.

OP: horrible situation, hope insurance works smoothly for you. (The eternal "insurance" irony...we never know how good our insurance is until AFTER a claim is made, and we see if our premium is affected!)
I doubt it would help as the OP must have hit something really hard to deform the steel plates encasing the battery. The newer cars are using plastic underbody iirc now vs the older felt btw.

It was dark and I hit something in the middle of the road. Could not even see what it was but it seems small enough to drive over. Massive thud as it hit. Pulled over and theres blue liquid pouring out. Messages of low coolant - save to drive. Then reduced power and reduced speed to 60 mph. Clearly whatever I hit has caused some damage. I think its battery coolant but I am not sure. Wondered if others have gone through this. Maddening.
Sorry that happened! These third-party companies can help also with main battery repairs and coolant lines:

www.057tech.com (Offers a main battery warranty)

www.recell-ev.com

May be they can even do a shield upgrade to help prevent these issues from happening. It might be a lot less than what Tesla would charge, and I hope you can get it fixed soon!

In the daylight, I noted that there are metal barriers at the side of the road where I hit something. These barriers only cover 10-20 ft of the road and its to stop someone crashing down a hill and into some trees. Someone had gone through them, they are coned off and there is a dead deer at the same place that the barrier should be. I think someone hit the deer and swerved into the barriers head on. I suspect that part of the metal barrier, although small, was in the middle of my lane. My insurance company (Progressive) have been awesome thus far. Tesla have ordered the battery pack and other items. I even damaged the high voltage cable (or whatever you call it). Now that I see how weak the plastic cover is and that there are critical parts like the coolant line and power cables, I may have to invest in a metal cover. Posting this for others to give some thought to that. It could happen to you. Thankfully, I have great insurance and will only be out of pocket for the deductible ($999). I must say again though that Progressive have been simply awesome. I cannot praise them enough.

Last edited:
Question. Does the 2022 Model Y performance come with a 82 kWH or 75kWh battery? I just realized that the invoice for the battery pack replacement says 75 kWh. I chatted with Tesla and asked them to confirm and they said that the correct size has been ordered. I've been googling around trying to get it confirmed and its hard to find the correct info.

Reactions: Jones1
Question. Does the 2022 Model Y performance come with a 82 kWH or 75kWh battery? I just realized that the invoice for the battery pack replacement says 75 kWh. I chatted with Tesla and asked them to confirm and they said that the correct size has been ordered. I've been googling around trying to get it confirmed and its hard to find the correct info.
I think the MYP has come with the 82kWh battery since early in 2021. I can’t point you to a source but I think I’ve seen videos that confirm.

Since Feb/Mar/Apr of 2021 (nothing is ever exact with Tesla :rolleyes: ) the battery pack in the Model Y has been 82kWh, but it is still called a 75kWh battery.

The better question is, does the part number of your new battery contain "REMAN", because that means you are getting a remanufactured battery rather than a new battery. I'm guessing since insurance is paying for it, you'll get a new battery. The remanufactured batteries are usually for warranty claims.

Since Feb/Mar/Apr of 2021 (nothing is ever exact with Tesla :rolleyes: ) the battery pack in the Model Y has been 82kWh, but it is still called a 75kWh battery.

The better question is, does the part number of your new battery contain "REMAN", because that means you are getting a remanufactured battery rather than a new battery. I'm guessing since insurance is paying for it, you'll get a new battery. The remanufactured batteries are usually for warranty claims.
I better call them tomorrow because the part number does have RMN in the description and I just read another thread that its remanufactured. That probably explains how the original quote went from around $16,000 to $10,000 for the pack. Nobody has told me that its not new. I asked them, via chat, if the 75 kwh was correct and they said the correct battery had been ordered. They fitted the battery pack today because the car has come back to life and I see they are charging it overnight at their service center. Now I need to call them tomorrow because my insurance company invoice says New and not used battery pack.

Last edited:
I better call them tomorrow because the part number does have RMN in the description and I just read another thread that its remanufactured. That probably explains how the original quote went from around $16,000 to $10,000 for the pack. Nobody has told me that its not new. I asked them, via chat, if the 75 kwh was correct and they said the correct battery had been ordered. They fitted the battery pack today because the car has come back to life and I see they are charging it overnight at their service center. Now I need to call them tomorrow because my insurance company invoice says New and not used battery pack.
worth a shot but just FYI i would bet all teslas batteries they use for replacements are prob "refurbished" similar to apple refurbished devices they sell, they basically replace every single component of the device but mark it as refurbished because a couple parts we reused. but it is possible they messed somthing up

Reactions: DanDi58
worth a shot but just FYI i would bet all teslas batteries they use for replacements are prob "refurbished" similar to apple refurbished devices they sell, they basically replace every single component of the device but mark it as refurbished because a couple parts we reused. but it is possible they messed somthing up
I called my insurance adjuster and he too believed it should be a new battery and not a remanufactured one. They charged it to 90% last night and the range is 240 miles. I would typically see 258-265 at 90% on the original battery.

I called my insurance adjuster and he too believed it should be a new battery and not a remanufactured one. They charged it to 90% last night and the range is 240 miles. I would typically see 258-265 at 90% on the original battery.
This isn't an accurate way to check for battery capacity...too many variables in the "miles" estimate.

It also would NOT be an indication of whether or not your battery is new or reman.

Reactions: iamnid and DanDi58
Hey Buddy. Sorry to hear about the incident.
Did you ever find out. If it’s a 75kwh or 82kwh pack?

Last edited:
Reactions: carpendj
Hey Buddy. Sorry to hear about the incident.
Did you ever find out. If it’s a 75kwh or 82kwh pack?
They said the battery fitted was the correct part. I could never get anyone to confirm the kwh number. If the estimated range is important, I have clearly lost something. They did say that the only vehicles that get new batteries are new cars. Every other car gets remanufactured battery packs. I do not agree with this but its just the way it is. Nothing you can do about it unless some company start selling their own battery packs for Tesla's. I plan to perform a battery test of my own when I know I will not need to use the car for 24 hours.

Reactions: JonB65 and Jones1
They said the battery fitted was the correct part. I could never get anyone to confirm the kwh number. If the estimated range is important, I have clearly lost something. They did say that the only vehicles that get new batteries are new cars. Every other car gets remanufactured battery packs. I do not agree with this but its just the way it is. Nothing you can do about it unless some company start selling their own battery packs for Tesla's. I plan to perform a battery test of my own when I know I will not need to use the car for 24 hours.
I was under the impression that the Battery is 82kwh but you only get 75 kWh of usable capacity.
I saw this thread before I saw your post. This is why I asked. I wanted to check my degradation. When I use the formula. I get 75-76kwh

1672677313653.png

1672677338386.jpeg

What did they do with battery warranty? Do you get the remainder of the original battery warranty, or a new 8 yr/120k mile warranty?