Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just realized I am trading in a car worth $243 for a Tesla worth $124,000.

How much was your pre-Tesla car worth?

• < $1,000

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • $1,000 – $5,000

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • $5,000 – $10,000

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • $10,000 – $20,000

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • $20,000 – $50,000

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • $50,000 – $100,000

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • > $100,000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't worry - it won't be worth $124K for long :).

Congrats for the step up. Yes, one tire on your new chariot will have exceeded the value of your entire past chariot.

But the new ride quality... Priceless!

Congrats again and enjoy the ride, which is to say the journey, in all ways possible.

Thanks! I just hope the Model X lasts me 200K miles like my old SUV did.

Why would you trade with a value of 243 when a junk yard will buy your car for 500 and they tow for free?

Good point. I can still change it. It actually still drives fine, just needs new paint, bumper, and some electrical work to be mint.

If it was totaled in 2010, what did you drive for the past 8 years?

Being “totaled” just means the repair bill was going to be more than the value of the car. When a car is older and has no real value, it doesn’t take much to “total” the car. If the damage is just body damage, some people will buy the car back from the insurance company and keep driving it. While it may not look perfect, mechanically, it’s a know quantity.

Being “totaled” just means the repair bill was going to be more than the value of the car. When a car is older and has no real value, it doesn’t take much to “total” the car. If the damage is just body damage, some people will buy the car back from the insurance company and keep driving it. While it may not look perfect, mechanically, it’s a know quantity.
The SAAB 900 our daughters drove was totaled twice - once by each driver. Base engine - no turbo, well over 100k Miles, 10 years old when the first one started driving.

I paid for the body work because I wouldn’t be able to get anything else as safe, reliable, high capacity, good handling and socially acceptable at such a low price.

By the time the second daughter had it in high school she told us it was “retro” cool.