TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I just received my Model X last week and the rear vents aren't blowing enough air.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by KingGoopa, Jun 5, 2018.

1. KingGoopa

KingGoopa Member

I just received my Model X last week and the rear vents aren't blowing enough air.

I’ve been researching online after realizing the B pillar vents aren’t putting out any wind, that the 5 seater only has 1 ac unit. Meaning no wind from the pillars, and the middle vents are shared with the vents up front and it’s barely blowing any air out. So my kids are sweating in the back seat, while we are freezing up in the front trying to cool down the whole car.

I’m getting the car tinted tomorrow, so hopefully that’ll help, but I feel pretty bad after spending $100k, that my kids wont be as cool as us up in the front.

Am I missing something here?

2. Magus

Magus Member

You could direct the front middle vents to the rear. I have had no issues with my 5 seater and rear passengers summer or winter.

• Helpful x 1
  3. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

That’s unacceptable plain and simple

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Unfortunately Tesla doesn’t really show , unless I’m missing something , that 6,7 seaters have dual ACs ..I have driven 5 seater and AC is bad in back ...I have six seater and the dual ACs make huge difference ..I also use photo sync tint which drops temp inside considerably

5. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Some are insistent that there is only one AC but the emergency responder guy states 'rear HVAC'.

Search for HVAC in this PDF: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/first_responders/2016_Models_X_Emergency_Responders_Guide_en.pdf

• Informative x 1
  6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

• Helpful x 2
  7. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

The Tesla website is clear on how 5 seatera don't have rear vents.

• Like x 1
  8. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

The configuration tool shows that the 6 and 7 seat included rear AC unit and vents. And therefore the 5 seat does not

• Informative x 1
  9. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

I could have sworn the 5 seater I took home had B pillar vents?

10. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

Yeah, my 5 seater (May ‘17 build) does have B-pillar vents, but the air coming out is not very strong.

11. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

The 5 seater has vents in the back, but only one AC compressor. Only the 6 and 7 seaters have two AC compressors, which results in improved performance for cooling in the back seats.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

Pretty lame is you ask me. Maybe the OP can get a USB fan in the backseat for his children in the 100K vehicle.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. KingGoopa

KingGoopa Member

Yea, I ordered inventory model, so I had no idea different seat configurations had different hvac system. Who even thinks a 5 seater cross over may not have ac in the back?!

I did order some usb fans, but how stupid is that? Using flimsy usb fans on a $100k car...

• Funny x 1
  14. KingGoopa

KingGoopa Member

I ordered an inventory model, and therefore I did not get to see that. My Sales Adviser never mentioned such a thing..

15. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

Trust me it is really stupid. People still need air in the back seat its crazy. They are the same distance someone in the direct back seat of a 6 or 7 seater is.

16. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

I agree that all Model Xs should have a "Rear air conditioning and heating system included" as the website clearly states for 6 and 7 seaters but not 5 seaters. However, I also am pretty sure that there's something called due diligence and another thing called personal responsibility.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  17. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

I do not believe than any Model Xs have two airconditioners. That fire fighter mention was regarding the cooling system for the batteries.

The 6 and 7 seaters have additional vents, but still use the same front AC.

5 Seater cooling is provided by one pillar vent on each side, 2 centrally mounted rear vents in the center console and two large rear facing vents under each of the front seats.

In my X there is plenty of rear seat cooling unless a passenger is sitting in harsh direct sunlight. Then I need to reduce the front vents to force additional cooling to the rear.

It is really easy to balance front and rear flow by using the sliding front vent dampers.

• Like x 1
  18. arubinst

arubinst Member

I know this could be open to interpretation, but I think it does means that there’s an additional AC unit.

CD628057-B3A2-4BAA-AF69-E834771D7535.jpeg

• Informative x 1
  19. arubinst

arubinst Member

I don’t know if the image is visible on the previous post. I’m not seeing it. Here it goes again as a thumbnail just in case.

E599A760-3276-48C8-8351-96BF245B33AC.jpeg

• Like x 2
  20. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

The first responder document also states 'if equipped' which would go along with it is available on some but not all.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1