Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just rejected my Model X delivery :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to think that it's actually friction (from a greater surface area) not air resistance that BMW went with narrow tires. In University, we built a solar powered EV race car with 3 beefy bicycle wheels to minimize surface area as much as possible for this exact reason.

@ Vandacca BMW marketing literature specifically cites reduced air resistance for the narrow tire design choice. Tire diameter was increased to compensate for the lost contact area. The gains must have been substantial to justify the use of a completely new tire profile requiring them to get the tire companies on board. I agree that rolling resistance is also a factor but I believe that air resistance is the primary consideration.

@ Vandacca BMW marketing literature specifically cites reduced air resistance for the narrow tire design choice. Tire diameter was increased to compensate for the lost contact area. The gains must have been substantial to justify the use of a completely new tire profile requiring them to get the tire companies on board. I agree that rolling resistance is also a factor but I believe that air resistance is the primary consideration.
In cycling, it's known that wider tires have lower rolling resistance, but higher air resistance. If you cyclo commute at slower speeds, wider tires are better both from a ride and resistance standpoint. Once your speed increases enough to where air resistance becomes more meaningful than rolling resistance, thinner tires make sense.

So I think with vehicles, you are likely right. Air resistance is probably more important of a factor.

• Informative
Reactions: Vitold and xkwizit
In cycling, it's known that wider tires have lower rolling resistance, but higher air resistance. If you cyclo commute at slower speeds, wider tires are better both from a ride and resistance standpoint. Once your speed increases enough to where air resistance becomes more meaningful than rolling resistance, thinner tires make sense.

So I think with vehicles, you are likely right. Air resistance is probably more important of a factor.
Yup. Good ol' frontal area. I and many others actually run a larger tire in the rear for the rolling resistance reduction (it's out of the wind) and a slightly narrower tire in the front for the aerodynamics.

Road racers are finally realizing how great fat tires roll. ;)

Tesla customer service is really sucking it......they should have swapped the tires and credited you the $4,500. Thats how you make a customer happy, and earn future business, any other car dealer would do the same in 2 seconds.
Lmao!!! Are you serious? A dealer give a customer something for free because the manufacturer was unable/willing to budge? LOL. Clearly you've never worked for a dealer (I have worked for 3 dealers and have been in theAutomotive industry for ocer 20 years). Or you're just trolling. Either way. I disagree with your assessment of what a dealer would do in this situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: AnOutsider
Lmao!!! Are you serious? A dealer give a customer something for free because the manufacturer was unable/willing to budge? LOL. Clearly you've never worked for a dealer (I have worked for 3 dealers and have been in theAutomotive industry for ocer 20 years). Or you're just trolling. Either way. I disagree with your assessment of what a dealer would do in this situation.

The post to which you're referring mentioned what Tesla "should" do; not what a "dealer would do," as you said.

Part of the benefit of buying a Tesla is that there is no dealership -- one less middle man, one less layer of middle management, etc. Now, Tesla is clearly imperfect, and does not always go out of the way to make the customer happy. But working with them to purchase and own a vehicle is still infinitely more sane, reasonable, and efficient, than going through a conventional dealer. And that's without even getting into the benefits of the car itself!

Reactions: mark80908

Your reasoning seems to hinge on the word "dealer", which doesn't really apply here.

Reactions: loganintx