Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just turned down 4 week delivery on a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, hold out for what you want.

I need heated seats more than cooled, but what I need more is AWD. I'll be holding out until then...not that I could have had it in 4 weeks anyway.
Sounds like you need your own thread to trumpet why Tesla is doing the release all wrong :rolleyes:

But seriously- yes, wait for what you want.

Vern, Tesla does not use any leather anymore in the cars interior. Call it what you want but some call it ‘pleather’.

Vegans rejoice: Tesla quietly goes leather-free
Thanks 03DSG. Maybe I screwed up by letting the reservation go, but I'm pretty sure my daughter wouldn't want seats that even looked like leather. And she doesn't need a 300+ mile battery either. I was set on giving her a $35k car, but with the extras forced on us for early adoption, it would be more like a $50k car.

I have an S90D and it's more battery than I need-- If I had it to do again I'd save the $18k and go with a 75D instead.

Reactions: CarbonFree and DR61
You may be right on this. I'm getting the car for my daughter, and she does not want leather seats, and with the non-premium package having textile seats, and the premium package not really saying what the seats were, I opted to wait.

I don't know if I want to try to time the purchase to get the 7.5k federal tax credit. Is that a sure thing for those who config now? I mean, is it for sure that that credit will still be available, and is it for sure that it will be a credit for 2017?

At the same time, we don't know if the 4 week delivery is gonna happen. I mean weren't the original estimates Oct-Dec...and even its Nov. to Jan now. Literally no non-employee owner got any deliveries yet

So, most important IMO ... Do you have a employer-employee connection with Tesla, or does a family member?
Or are they opened up to non-employee Californians?

At the same time, we don't know if the 4 week delivery is gonna happen.
I mean weren't the original estimates Oct-Dec...and even its Nov. to Jan now. Literally no non-employee owner got any deliveries yet

Tesla finally opens up Model 3 orders to regular reservation holders :cool:

Electrek received several reports from regular Model 3 reservation holders (non-Tesla employee, family members or company insiders) who have started to receive invitations to configure and order their new electric cars. Tesla confirmed that the latest batch of invitations included non-Tesla employees.

The automaker first guided that the deliveries to regular reservations holders would start in “late October”, but that was delayed last month when
Tesla announced some production difficulties pushing back the target for a production rate of 5,000 units per week from December to “the end of the first quarter 2018.” It looks like the delay for the first Model 3 deliveries to regular reservation holders is a little shorter since people configuring their orders now are being told that they will take delivery by the end of the year, which is just a few weeks away at this point.

I wonder how many invites went out with 4wks delivery time. Anyone get an invite with over 4wks?
I'm holding off unless I can be guaranteed one before end of the year to get the 2017 fed credit.
If ev credit gets included in the 2018 tax reform then just need to get it before Tesla surpasses 200K cars sold.

At the same time, we don't know if the 4 week delivery is gonna happen. I mean weren't the original estimates Oct-Dec...and even its Nov. to Jan now. Literally no non-employee owner got any deliveries yet
Thanks. You captured where I was coming from-- counting on the $7500 federal tax credit is risky, in my view.

Easy for me to say-- I took 2 of them last year, and $7000 for solar panels, and $1675 or so for installation of electric charging infrastructure--

Reactions: DR61
So, most important IMO ... Do you have a employer-employee connection with Tesla, or does a family member? Or are they opened up to non-employee Californians?
No.
I bought two S90Ds last spring. ( I drove the same car for 29 years-- a 1987 Acura Integra-- do the math-- I saved up enough to pay cash for a Tesla S90D -- ).
I reserved a Model 3 in person on 31 March of 2016 at the Tesla Buena Park Showroom. I was there at 9 am, but there were 250 or 300 in line already.
I have no employment connection to Tesla.
I am in Southern California.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Tforme
I wonder how many invites went out with 4wks delivery time. Anyone get an invite with over 4wks?
I'm holding off unless I can be guaranteed one before end of the year to get the 2017 fed credit.
If ev credit gets included in the 2018 tax reform then just need to get it before Tesla surpasses 200K cars sold.
Ours was 4 weeks.
I said no; I'll wait. Wait for option for the smaller battery and textile seats.
The $7500 fed credit is important, but it is not why I am buying a Tesla.
I'm hesitant to buy based on a "guarantee" that I would have the credit of $7500.

I think all the invites said 4 weeks. Mine certainly did, so did the others I know about.

No.
I bought two S90Ds last spring. ( I drove the same car for 29 years-- a 1987 Acura Integra-- do the math-- I saved up enough to pay cash for a Tesla S90D -- ).
I reserved a Model 3 in person on 31 March of 2016 at the Tesla Buena Park Showroom. I was there at 9 am, but there were 250 or 300 in line already.
I have no employment connection to Tesla.
I am in Southern California.
Hey... I ran into you at the Rancho SC.....I remember the Acura story and the wife having a vehicle with too much POWER!!??;)

• Funny
Reactions: tony b
Is the 200k total cars? Or just your state.... So I'm in So.Cal and didn't deposit until the 3rd day so I'm definitely out if its total cars sold!:mad:

Since this is a Federal Tax Credit. It is 200k total cars sold in the US. But it is a graduating schedule so it does not go to zero once 200k is hit. But with the new Tax Proposal, all bets are off... And that's why I will need to ensure EOY delivery or I will just wait.

Is the 200k total cars? Or just your state.... So I'm in So.Cal and didn't deposit until the 3rd day so I'm definitely out if its total cars sold!:mad:

Ours was 4 weeks.
I said no; I'll wait. Wait for option for the smaller battery and textile seats.
The $7500 fed credit is important, but it is not why I am buying a Tesla.
I'm hesitant to buy based on a "guarantee" that I would have the credit of $7500.
Curious if you actually respond to the invite or just not configure is the default “thanks but not yet”. I think we will probably get our invite just a few weeks before the smaller battery configuration comes out and since we have an S for longer trips my wife wants the smaller battery and the savings to go towards other household projects. Concerned about what happens if we “decline” the invite, do we then have to wait for another invite, go to the back of the line or can we jump in whenever and still have Priority?

I would rather have heat and cool... But i regularly drive from Nashville to Texas, so I get to enjoy all the "wonderful" weather.

My Lexus has seat cooling but I never used it. Heat seat is a must for me and I also live in Los Angeles like OP. The reason is not because it is cold.. it is because I have a 120 miles daily commute.. and that's about 3 hours a day with traffic. The heat seat helps a lot with lower back and sciatica pain.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: oktane and DR61