Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just turned down 4 week delivery on a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the invite earlier this week, but decided (somehow) against buying the Model 3. I would have been interested in taking delivery by the end of December to get the federal tax credits for this calendar year, but I'm not willing to bet Elon Standard Time of 4 weeks for delivery against a $2500 non-refundable deposit. Besides, for $55k I would rather pick up a CPO Model S with AP1. The $35k Model 3 would have been a contender with the full tax credits, but I'll likely pass all together on the Model 3 at this point.

I received the invite earlier this week, but decided (somehow) against buying the Model 3. I would have been interested in taking delivery by the end of December to get the federal tax credits for this calendar year, but I'm not willing to bet Elon Standard Time of 4 weeks for delivery against a $2500 non-refundable deposit. Besides, for $55k I would rather pick up a CPO Model S with AP1. The $35k Model 3 would have been a contender with the full tax credits, but I'll likely pass all together on the Model 3 at this point.

Have you actually cancelled already or just not ordering?

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Don't want HEAT. Want COOL. I do not live in Boston. You can have, Boston.
It should have that though. Cabin overheat protection in the Model S and X (assume Model 3 has it) keeps the cabin temp below 105 F I believe. You also have your mobile phone to start cooling down the car before you walk to it. I've gone through 5 summers now in Texas and Nevada and walking into a hot car has never been an issue. I understand having what you want would still be nice but not sure if that is worth canceling for.

It should have that though. Cabin overheat protection in the Model S and X (assume Model 3 has it) keeps the cabin temp below 105 F I believe. You also have your mobile phone to start cooling down the car before you walk to it. I've gone through 5 summers now in Texas and Nevada and walking into a hot car has never been an issue. I understand having what you want would still be nice but not sure if that is worth canceling for.

I understand the OPs point in the sense that he is waiting because he would be forced to pay for options he doesn't want to order the car at this time.

I'm not sure is he is really waiting for cooling... or rather just waiting for a non-PuP car.

Yes, I've had mixed feelings since last week. Let's not say that I "cancelled"--- I did not cancel my reservation-- I selected "Hold My Place" for the next configuration.
Using the phone-- I can't do that-- not at work-- my college is built into a hill and there's no connection between the phone and my car when I'm at work. I can use the key fob to summon, in the work parking lot, but can't do anything with the phone. Usually is says "network error" or just doesn't show anything from that day.

Wow, sorry to hear that, neighbor from next door.
I did not cancel, but declined to configure last week.
But I'll buy a Model 3, with or without the $7.5k federal credit.
I think you are smart to make your purchase decision independently of which exact date (year) your payment is credited, counting on a federal tax credit.
You might be better off with 55k in a used Model S. I have 2 used S90Ds. They are wonderful. But so damned big! Over a year and I'm still not used to the huge size. I was in an Acura Integra for 29 years before that, or an HD Sportster. Each was a whole lot smaller than an S, or even a 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm with you ...the car is 59k...I'm leaving my deposit and just going to wait until I can choose how I want configured.
Me too. $59k seems a lot (when you can buy a Roadster in Orange County for that). My plan is to be invited again to configure in a few weeks (smile) and order the standard battery, standard interior (saving $14,000), but definitely the Enhanced AutoPilot, and probably not the FSD. Not sure on the wheels. Pearl white paint.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
I understand the OPs point in the sense that he is waiting because he would be forced to pay for options he doesn't want to order the car at this time. I'm not sure is he is really waiting for cooling... or rather just waiting for a non-PuP car.
Right, waiting for textile seats, and the standard battery, saving $14,000. Maybe losing the $7,500 federal tax credit, maybe not.

Wow, sorry to hear that, neighbor from next door.
I did not cancel, but declined to configure last week. But I'll buy a Model 3, with or without the $7.5k federal credit.
I think you are smart to make your purchase decision independently of which exact date (year) your payment is credited, counting on a federal tax credit.
You might be better off with 55k in a used Model S. I have 2 used S90Ds. They are wonderful. But so damned big! Over a year and I'm still not used to the huge size. I was in an Acura Integra for 29 years before that, or an HD Sportster. Each was a whole lot smaller than an S, or even a 3.
I agree with you that the Model S still feels too large at times especially when you are used to driving smaller sports cars :cool:

Yes, I've had mixed feelings since last week. Let's not say that I "cancelled"--- I did not cancel my reservation-- I selected "Hold My Place" for the next configuration.
Using the phone-- I can't do that-- not at work-- my college is built into a hill and there's no connection between the phone and my car when I'm at work. I can use the key fob to summon, in the work parking lot, but can't do anything with the phone. Usually is says "network error" or just doesn't show anything from that day.
Do you have wifi there? I'm in areas frequently with no mobile connection (inside a building) and with Wifi, you can still cool your car down assuming your car has a cellular (or wifi) connection as well.

Ah, I see what you are saying now. Even your car doesn't get a good connection. I thought you said you were getting the Model 3 for your daughter though. Same connection issues for her where she'll have the car?

After seeing the Model 3 for a few minutes in person the other day, I think for me hitting the pause button is well advised.

Nothing wrong with the car, it was exciting to see in person.

I bought a used Model S 75 with EAP in June and the car is still very new to me.

The Model 3 is intended for my wife and she is not a big car person. I intend to use the Model 3 to do my hobby as an Uber/Lyft driver on a couple of weekends/month. I think the Model 3 will be a great car and will likely exceed everyone's expectations. However when I consider how we will actually use it, I think we need to do a comparison with the new EVs coming out next year to feel 100% about the decision. My wife drove a Leaf for the last four years, a few weeks ago, it was hit by another driver and totaled. She is now driving my Honda Accord PHeV with a 10+- mile EV range which gets about 50 mpg, it was rated at 125 MPGe.

While the ride of the Model S is far superior to the Accord, I can see how the parts of the build quality on a 5 year old Honda holds up well vs a new Model S.

I intend to get the Model 3 but primarily because of the Supercharger network and the way I expect the vehicle to handle.
It will be nice to have both vehicles 100% electric too.

But given that I likely wouldn't use it for road trips (Model S here) , the 310 mile range isn't worth the 9K premium for us. My wife doesn't like the AP as the many micro swerves make her feel nervous. That might be a later upgrade but is secondary. Tax credit or not, the 35K version plus 1K for white paint is our most likely option. Even if we only get the 2.5K California incentive, the price is good value.

Not to take anything away from Tesla, but a rational approach to getting a new vehicle would be to shop the Honda Clarity Plug in Hybrid with the 47 mile range, the new Nissan Leaf and at least test drive a Bolt (which I did before I bought the Model S75).

After doing that, I can really listen to what my wife thinks about the different vehicles and see what really makes sense. On paper, the decision now is to get the Model 3 as it has better range than the Leaf or the Clarity plug in. I also think the finishing will be better than the Bolt.

Long story short, I can see how Tesla needs to make some extra cash for those wanting the extra range and premium features, but for some of us, even if we are high on the list, in California, 1st day reservation and current Tesla owners, there is no reason to get so excited and pay for features we don't need.

As a final note, the Uber driver part of me may end up buying a second used Model S. The rate paid by Uber/Lyft for the Model S is almost twice that of the Uber X and I'm not sure what the rate will be for the Model 3. I assume for now it will be Uber X.

Elon calls it a $35K car. But you get to pay $55K to $65K. That's so they can balance the books while advertising $35K cars.

giphy.gif

Do you have wifi there? I'm in areas frequently with no mobile connection (inside a building) and with Wifi, you can still cool your car down assuming your car has a cellular (or wifi) connection as well.

Ah, I see what you are saying now. Even your car doesn't get a good connection. I thought you said you were getting the Model 3 for your daughter though. Same connection issues for her where she'll have the car?
Yes giving car to daughter.
The reservation was from 3/31/16 in line at 9 a.m., but I saw Model Ss coming into the lot, so I bought one, then another.
My daughter is on flat ground so should have no connection issues.

Last edited:
After seeing the Model 3 for a few minutes in person the other day, I think for me hitting the pause button is well advised.

Nothing wrong with the car, it was exciting to see in person.

I bought a used Model S 75 with EAP in June and the car is still very new to me.

The Model 3 is intended for my wife and she is not a big car person. I intend to use the Model 3 to do my hobby as an Uber/Lyft driver on a couple of weekends/month. I think the Model 3 will be a great car and will likely exceed everyone's expectations. However when I consider how we will actually use it, I think we need to do a comparison with the new EVs coming out next year to feel 100% about the decision. My wife drove a Leaf for the last four years, a few weeks ago, it was hit by another driver and totaled. She is now driving my Honda Accord PHeV with a 10+- mile EV range which gets about 50 mpg, it was rated at 125 MPGe.

While the ride of the Model S is far superior to the Accord, I can see how the parts of the build quality on a 5 year old Honda holds up well vs a new Model S.

I intend to get the Model 3 but primarily because of the Supercharger network and the way I expect the vehicle to handle.
It will be nice to have both vehicles 100% electric too.

But given that I likely wouldn't use it for road trips (Model S here) , the 310 mile range isn't worth the 9K premium for us. My wife doesn't like the AP as the many micro swerves make her feel nervous. That might be a later upgrade but is secondary. Tax credit or not, the 35K version plus 1K for white paint is our most likely option. Even if we only get the 2.5K California incentive, the price is good value.

Not to take anything away from Tesla, but a rational approach to getting a new vehicle would be to shop the Honda Clarity Plug in Hybrid with the 47 mile range, the new Nissan Leaf and at least test drive a Bolt (which I did before I bought the Model S75).

After doing that, I can really listen to what my wife thinks about the different vehicles and see what really makes sense. On paper, the decision now is to get the Model 3 as it has better range than the Leaf or the Clarity plug in. I also think the finishing will be better than the Bolt.

Long story short, I can see how Tesla needs to make some extra cash for those wanting the extra range and premium features, but for some of us, even if we are high on the list, in California, 1st day reservation and current Tesla owners, there is no reason to get so excited and pay for features we don't need.

As a final note, the Uber driver part of me may end up buying a second used Model S. The rate paid by Uber/Lyft for the Model S is almost twice that of the Uber X and I'm not sure what the rate will be for the Model 3. I assume for now it will be Uber X.
I'm pleased to read a rational cost-efficiency analysis.
Where I'm coming from is the irrational let's-support-Elon's-Vision mentality.

Exactly. I'm paying $5K for the glass roof. The heated and leatherish seats are included at no additional cost. :D
I wonder if Tesla will ever make a Model 3 without the glass roof? Sooner or later I think that the glass roof will be made standard to simplify assembly. So far we haven't seen a single Model 3 with that central roof panel in metal. I guess we will find out when non PUP cars become available to order sometime next year. Tesla is notorious for making things standard that were part of option packages...