Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just want to go straight, but FSD wont let me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many times I would like to use FSD for traveling on local roads without entering a destination. I just want to go straight for a while, stop at lights, be safe.. then take over when i need to. I would do this all the time with AutoPilot. However now with FSD Beta 1.8, anytime I try to do this, the car tries to turn around even though i do not have navigation enabled or a destination selected.
Anyone know whats happening ?
I know I would get around this by always picking a destination.. But I don't want to every time.

Reactions: beachmiles
The car wants to turn around and go the other direction? I'm on 10.8 as well and if I don't have a navigation destination Autopilot works as normal and continues straight (with the exception that the car will turn right at any intersection where straight is no longer an option if Autopilot isn't disengaged).

The car wants to turn around and go the other direction? I'm on 10.8 as well and if I don't have a navigation destination Autopilot works as normal and continues straight (with the exception that the car will turn right at any intersection where straight is no longer an option if Autopilot isn't disengaged).
I alway disengage so not sure where it wants to go :) .. I will try when i have time. Interesting that going straight works for you.

That's odd, because I deliberately don't pick a destination if I don't have any upcoming turns. For me it seems to avoid the random lane changes that drive me nuts. I have a 10 mile commute with a couple of right turns, and the car will change lanes nearly a dozen times at random, even to get in the left lane right before an upcoming right turn.

Many times I would like to use FSD for traveling on local roads without entering a destination. I just want to go straight for a while, stop at lights, be safe.. then take over when i need to. I would do this all the time with AutoPilot. However now with FSD Beta 1.8, anytime I try to do this, the car tries to turn around even though i do not have navigation enabled or a destination selected.
Anyone know whats happening ?
I know I would get around this by always picking a destination.. But I don't want to every time.
I have not experienced this issue. I actually have done just want you are wanted to do, a bunch.

Since I am actively participating in the Beta and reporting undesired behavior, while driving around, I don't always set a destination.

I also do this when crappy routes will be selected. For instance, I know my destination, but I also know from previous tests that FSD will take me on a route I don't want to take. So I just use FSD with no destination, until I get past the street it wants to turn on if the destination was previously set. Once I get a short distance away (where it won't try to do a "U-turn") I then select my destination.

The crappy route thing is frustrating because my car likes to take a few routes that it will do wrong. Like it wants to avoid the dense commercial area by taking backroad arteries, but it routinely misses a turn in that route. Another route will take it through 3 round-a-bouts. Don't do this, FSD! lol

yep - the two profile is much better and faster switching solution.
When I want it to act like old style AP and not need a destination, switch profile - dead easy.
This is a real beta in the truest sense, so we have to work within the parameters provided.

It seems that this happens when the auto navigate is happening in the AM. Tesla only wants to take me to work.. any variation and it tries to turn back to get on track to work. This happens even if i dont enter a destination, as well as when i say cancel navigation.. I suppose the switch profile could work .. but i use FSD so often it would be a real pain. I just wish "cancel navigation" would work when this is happening. ( Any Tesla UX rep seeing this ??? )

So you do have navigation enabled. Automatically in your case. That explains why the FSD wants to make turns.

Just disable the automatic navigation in settings. And when you do want the car to navigate to work, just select Work as your destination. It takes 2 taps.

You can read about Automatic Navigation here:

Last edited:
Reactions: instigator
So you do have navigation enabled. Automatically in your case. That explains why the FSD wants to make turns.

Just disable the automatic navigation in settings. And when you do want the car to navigate to work, just select Work as your destination. It takes 2 taps.

You can read about Automatic Navigation here:

Ahh.. RTFM :) thanks

yup that is what it is doing it is assuming you want to go to work due the time, or last thing you did ( like go home, sso it assume you want to go to work now ) just cancel NOA ( the blue button on the map ) and then it will run fine. if you are on local streets and do not put in a destination it will essentially work like EAP with the broader visualization. but you are no really using it as the Beta at that point . for the beta enhanced ( autonomous left/ rights, intersection maneuvering) items put in a destination . then it will do the rest. be ready to pop it out though that part is still very much a work in progress..

That's odd, because I deliberately don't pick a destination if I don't have any upcoming turns. For me it seems to avoid the random lane changes that drive me nuts. I have a 10 mile commute with a couple of right turns, and the car will change lanes nearly a dozen times at random, even to get in the left lane right before an upcoming right turn.
Do you have it set to Assertive ?

Odd that it won't go straight for you.

There are navigation errors on my drive to work, and the way around the navigation issues is to turn off navigation right before I get to the glitch (that will have it taking a side road), and it always goes straight. After the straight I simply select the work destination again on the nav.

For me FSD Beta does great in going straight. It's when it has to take a turn from a stop light that it demonstrates its ineptitude.

So i disabled auto-navigation and it still happens. Also happens after i cancel navigation.
Strange and annoying as I like to use FSD where straight and easy but take over for complex turns. My current work around is to navigate to a place in the direction i want to go. But thats not a great solution.

It would be nice to engage FSD Beta without the nav and manually use the stalk for turns. At times I thought this worked but it was just coincidence. Granted it would require using the turn stalk well before the upcoming turns for accurate planning.

Also, shouldnt the nav instructions change while on FSD? From providing instruction to informational based?