Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just want to use windshield washer fluid with Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 2022 Model Y for less than one month. Really love the Autopilot.
After the recent snowfalls there is tons and tons of salt on the road, and I have to squeeze the button on the left stalk to clean the windshield with the washer fluid very frequently. But when the Autopilot is activated, this will automatically turn the wipers to "auto", and the wipers will run on the the dry glass constantly after the first few strokes with the fluid (or at least for a pretty long period before they stop) and I find that a bit annoying. I know that auto wipers cannot be switch off when you are using Autopilot, but how do you guys deal with this? Just let the wipers run? I will be grateful if someone can give me some advice. Thank you!

Reactions: malou and astrobill
I just got my 2022 Model Y for less than one month. Really love the Autopilot.
After the recent snowfalls there is tons and tons of salt on the road, and I have to squeeze the button on the left stalk to clean the windshield with the washer fluid very frequently. But when the Autopilot is activated, this will automatically turn the wipers to "auto", and the wipers will run on the the dry glass constantly after the first few strokes with the fluid (or at least for a pretty long period before they stop) and I find that a bit annoying. I know that auto wipers cannot be switch off when you are using Autopilot, but how do you guys deal with this? Just let the wipers run? I will be grateful if someone can give me some advice. Thank you!
Yes, its not ideal. i usually turn off AP for a bit. Hearing the wipers drag across the dry glass is painful!

Reactions: corlaandstan
Concur that Tesla made a ridiculous decision here, in keeping with a series of them in recent software updates.

By the way, I've actually had Autopilot *disengage* due to "limited forward visibility" when I simply do a windshield cleaning with the wipers. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's ridiculous.

It's time to acknowledge that the "vision only" system is a complete fraud, and admit that Tesla stopped using radar in recent updates only because they couldn't get enough radar units due to pandemic supply chain issues.

As I've posted about in other threads, the recent "Tesla Vision" updates that finally stopped using my radar are totally non-functional. Every time I try to use Autopilot in just light rain or mild fog, I now get endless "limited visibility" or "camera blocked" notifications, with Autopilot either turning off completely, or limiting my speed to some arbitrary low value. And even then, it often fails to even honor it's own low set speed, and dangerously slowing me to a crawl of 35 MPH on the Interstate while other drivers start honking and I'm forced to turn the whole thing off anyway. It's totally ridiculous.

Thank you for sharing the info. So I know it is an issue I have to put up with (for now). Really hate to have to turn AP off due to the wipers, though:(
You can turn the wipers off again (on the screen) as long as the windshield is clear.

I have to say that I despise the auto wipers. They have 2 speeds - too fast and faster, and they clearly didn’t do much testing in places that get rain, snow, sleet or salty road spray. Engineering fail IMO.

Actually, you can if there is no crud on the windshield. If it’s raining or there’s a lot of spray, you can’t. Whether “auto wipers” is off or not, you can make sure they’re not wiping if the windshield is clean.
How !? Because when AP is on, the options are 1,2,3,4 or auto. Off is not one of them.

You must not be on Tela vision and still have radar enabled.

Reactions: malou