Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Keep Getting "Charging Completed" Notices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 on 12.1.2.

I noticed (possibly since the most recent update but can't be sure) that when my car is plugged in, I get multiple "Charging Completed At [current time]" notices on my phone for hours after my car has presumably stopped charging.

For example, I plugged my car in last night and set to charge at 3:00 am. Based on my charging speed and how much charged I needed, my car finished at the pre-set 86% state of charge at about 6:30 am. As is typical, I received a notice on my phone that charging is completed at 86% at 6:30 am.

All good. I didn't drive to work today so my car is sitting at home plugged in with the setting still set to schedule charge at 3:00 am. By the time I got down to the office I had received 3 more "charging completed at 86% at 8:00 am; at 9:30 am" etc.

Thinking that perhaps there was some minor drain so the battery was topping up (although it shouldn't start doing that until 3:00 am) I moved the charge slider down on the phone app to about 50% (and the state of charge is still 86%) so the car should surely not start charging until it dropped to or close to 50% (leaving aside the 3:00 am scheduled start time).

Since then, I have received 2 more notices that "charging completed at 86% at 3:00 pm; at 4:30 pm" etc.

If these are just messages from the app, no biggie, but if the car is continually trying to draw power and charge in increments, that could suggest a bigger issue (even more so when the slider is set to 50%). I don't recall ever seeing this before.

Any thoughts?

Chances are your car is drawing power about once an hour. I saw that (and verified with both TeslaFi and my network-enabled EVSE) when my car was on 2019.8.x, but the problem went away when it upgraded to 2019.12.x, so I assumed it was a bug in 2019.8.x. My hypothesis was that the car was not going to sleep when plugged in, which resulted in enough vampire drain to require it to top up its charge once an hour.

OTOH, just yesterday, I saw a stray charge about an hour after the main charge had stopped. I then unplugged the car, so I don't know if it would have continued that way. If so, the problem's link to the software version isn't as straightforward as I'd initially believed.

I thought it might be a slight vampire drain issue which was causing it to top up - which is why I moved the slider down to a charge level far below the current state of charge - it will still “topping up”. I have only noticed that behaviour on the most recent / current version