Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I keep wavering back and forth between a Model S and Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the site right? I just looked. It said a 90D only gets 253 miles of range? How can the 100D get 330 or so when the only 10kwh smaller 90D gets only 253?

Range is a big deal to me. I thought a 90D was comparable to a 3 LR, but maybe it's a 100D? In which case, costwise, it's basically double.

90D is not 90 kWh, it has 81.8 kWh usable. After a year or so, the 75D and 90D are pretty close in range.

Honestly, the nav is way better in the Model 3. It's actually easier to look at one screen instead of two and all the features that are on the left screen on a MS/MX are now incorporated onto the one M3 screen. And the processing speed is crazy fast. One of the first things I said when I drove Model 3 for the first time, in the midst of rush hour traffic in a city I don't know well is, "Wow, the navigation is so much better than our Model X"
Even though I imagine I would miss the Model S instrument panel with its configurable side panel displays if I switched to Model 3, I have to admit that I rarely look at the small side navigation window in the Model S instrument panel. I listen to the navigation voice and watch the center screen. Only when the small window shows the individual lanes and associated signs at a highway interchange (which is infrequently) do I find the side window useful. Otherwise, the map is too small, the labels are too small and too light (I hate the whole st of pale tiny fonts in the instrument cluster since whenever they changed it). I think I would miss the energy app, though...

You will love driving a Tesla no matter which one you buy. I live in a large urban area and hate driving the freeways. I bought my S in 2014 when I was commuting 20 miles each way to work, and it improved my driving experience considerably. Now my commute is only 3 miles and I largely avoid the freeways, so I don’t get maximum value anymore, but I still love my S. It doesn’t feel like a boat unless you are parking it in the city multiple times per day. I’m moving to a 3 because I don’t need a large car — we’re a 3-person, 1-car seat family. And I’d like to upgrade my range from 265 to 310 to shorten our trips to visit our families.

Even though I imagine I would miss the Model S instrument panel with its configurable side panel displays if I switched to Model 3, I have to admit that I rarely look at the small side navigation window in the Model S instrument panel. I listen to the navigation voice and watch the center screen. Only when the small window shows the individual lanes and associated signs at a highway interchange (which is infrequently) do I find the side window useful. Otherwise, the map is too small, the labels are too small and too light (I hate the whole st of pale tiny fonts in the instrument cluster since whenever they changed it). I think I would miss the energy app, though...

I think the energy app will be back at some point in a future upgrade. Weird to have an EV, without an energy app. They need to update the regen meter too, I miss the yellow lines when regen is limted.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
The MS binnacle is kind of bright at night. Even on the dimmest setting. I blocked it with my arm to simulate the M3 and realized it would be nice to be able to turn it off or dim it way down at night. I think Tesla should make an optional mode to turn off the binnacle and have the center screen layout similar to the 3’s. I do like the navigation on the binnacle though. I always turn audible directions off.

Reactions: kingjamez