Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I keep wavering back and forth between a Model S and Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
I keep wavering back and forth between wanting a Model S and wanting a Model 3.

Pros for getting a Model 3

The Model 3 has that coolness factor. Everyone is talking about it. I like having the "cool tech". Overall I like the uniqueness of the minimalist interior. I also like the price point of the Model 3. For my budget I could get a long range Model 3 with EAP. So I would get more range than with a S and the latest AP hardware/software with future updates. The long range option would be perfect because it would be more than enough range for my daily driving as well as give me more range if I did a road trip.

Cons for getting a Model 3
I don't really like smaller cars. Also, there are a few nitpicks that I've read about the 3 that might bug me such as the stiff suspension, more road noise, and having to use screen while driving to do things like set TACC speed. Also, as a non-owner, I might have to wait quite a bit longer to get the car (I got about 10 months to go if my delivery estimator is correct).

Pros for getting a Model S
I find the S much more attractive. Plus, I like bigger cars. I've test driven a S and I loved it. I love the smoothness of the ride and the power. The Model S has always been my "dream car". If I went for a CPO, I could get a Model S now instead of waiting months for a 3.

Cons for getting a Model S
If I got a Model S now, it would probably be a CPO with AP1. While I know AP1 is good and would definitely meet my immediate needs, I would prefer AP2 in order to take advantage of future updates which will make it even better. Plus, with AP2, I would eventually be able to get FSD. And as good as an S is, getting a CPO from say 2014-15, I would still feel like I was getting the "old tech" since I would be getting an older S with the old nose cone and AP1. Last, if I got a Model S CPO, it would not have as much range as I could get with a Model 3. I would probably be looking at a S60 with around 208 miles. That would be perfectly fine for my daily driving but would require more supercharger stops if I decided to do the occasional road trip.

I feel like my 3 options are this:
- Get a Model S CPO now.
- Wait 10 months and get a Model 3.
- Wait 10 months and if I have enough saved up, get a new Model S instead of the 3.

Just wanted to share my thought process with my fellow Tesla fans. :)

Reactions: jbcarioca
I went through the same thing exactly 2 weeks ago. I bought a 2015 S with AP1 with the intent to sell it after I got the 3. After having the S75D, with dual motors, air-suspension, better styling, and more cargo room, I decided to just keep the S. I can't possibly imagine how I'd be happier with the 3, save for range. Since my family does 1 road trip a year that would use the full range of either car, I decided that range wouldn't be the only factor that mattered.

Plus the hassle of having to sell a car with a lien and paying taxes twice made the simpler choice of keeping the S even more attractive.

That was my thinking, hope it helps.
-Jim

I’m having similar thoughts. Same pros/cons for both as described by OP. If I decided to purchase an S; however, I’d go for one that was manufactured Oct 2016 or newer since they have AP 2.0. Not sure about the 2.5 though? Would it be the same “hardware” in terms of the AP between the MS (post 10/2016) and the M3?

I think this coolness factor will quickly subside when there are 400,000 of these on the road.......I think the coolness factor is very temporary, and people will head back to the S once there are hundreds of thousands of these on the road.

I think you might be right. Also, the Model S will always be the premium model. So the car with the most long term "coolness" would be the S.

I think this coolness factor will quickly subside when there are 400,000 of these on the road.......I think the coolness factor is very temporary, and people will head back to the S once there are hundreds of thousands of these on the road.

Future conversation:

Model 3 Owner 1: Hi
Model 3 Owner 2: Hi
Model 3 Owner 1: Cool car!
Model 3 Owner 2: Thanks! Yours too!
Model 3 Owner 1: Thanks! You know, Tesla has sold over 400,000 of them! Isn't that cool?
Model 3 Owner 2: I know! It's so cool!

The exclusivity will fade, but I fail to see how 400,000 Model 3s on the road would be _less_ cool than now.

It depends on what you want. I don't buy cars based on the coolness factor. I definitely prefer the Model 3 over the Model S, but unlike the OP I prefer smaller sportier cars.

^^^ This. I was at a supercharging station and a Model 3 showed up. No one even bothered to go look at it, let alone talk to the guy. lol. A few months ago, it would have had a crowd around it.

I've been going through a similar decision process and put in a Model 3 reservation on release day to keep my options open. The difference is that I already had my CPO S60. I've considered trading in my S60 for a bigger battery CPO Model S or for a new Model 3, the reason being that I am nearing the end of my warranty (only 12k miles to go) and the S60 takes more than twice as long to Supercharge as bigger battery cars. [Unlike most people here, the majority of my miles are long road trips, so Supercharging speed and range are a really big deal for me.]

As I learned more about the Model 3, I realized that I liked almost everything about the Model S better than the 3, ranging from the kludgy phone as key (I don't usually carry my phone with me all the time and Android 4.4 might not work anyway), to the lack of instrumentation, lack of free Supercharging (a big deal for me, of course), and many other factors. The main advantage of the 3 is the much greater energy efficiency, range, and somewhat lower price, given my state tax credit (I don't qualify for the federal tax credit). I made up a list of pros and cons and, for my preferences, the S wins hands down. However, a brand new 3 would be fun; I can't remotely afford a new S.

At present I am leaning toward just keeping my S60 out of warranty — despite several significant warranty repairs it has been very solid — and just living with the slow Supercharging and the careful driving required on very long trip legs. Figures to be cheaper in the long run and I can reevaluate next year.

Next month, however, that decision might change!

The only concern I would have with the model 3 is what sold me on the model S and that is the 3d NAV window on the left of the dash screen. I really thought that was the coolest thing when I first seen a model S at the show rooms. When I seen the model 3 with only one screen, I knew it was not the car for me. I would think many people don't miss it but,,,, I often hear those comments on a youtube video of previous owners. Like tesla just mention it the other day that she misses the small 3d NAV screen. Now with that said, if you don't have much thought in the dash screen, then the 3 is a car for you.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
The only concern I would have with the model 3 is what sold me on the model S and that is the 3d NAV window on the left of the dash screen. I really thought that was the coolest thing when I first seen a model S at the show rooms. When I seen the model 3 with only one screen, I knew it was not the car for me. I would think many people don't miss it but,,,, I often hear those comments on a youtube video of previous owners. Like tesla just mention it the other day that she misses the small 3d NAV screen. Now with that said, if you don't have much thought in the dash screen, then the 3 is a car for you.

I thought I'd miss the 3d nav screen on the left of the dash, but I've grown to really like the main screen 3d nav. I'm not sure I could go back.

I was in a similar position. Assuming you can afford both cars, get ahold of an owner advisor (OA), give them your wish list (configuration) for a model S and see what they find in inventory. My 2017 had just over 1,000 miles on it and came with a nice di$count, plus the tax rebate... I love the looks of my MS, enjoy the hell out of adding 5,000 additional miles. and AP2 rocks! Fair warning, the available inventory is very dynamic and the OA was able to see more inventory than I could locate via either Tesla site or CPO. Good luck!

Yes the 3D screen is way cool, but we only used it twice since delivery in Dec. Because what good is the nice looking screen when you don't get the WAZE's instant traffic rerouting info, cops alert, etc... can't live without WAZE!

I think the bigger problem for me between the S and the 3 would be the autopilot stick. I got really used to the autopilot stick. You do have to turn it off/on quite often and adjust speed too. It is really easy on the stick. I am not sure I want to do that reaching over the screen all the time. They should have kept the stick. I also have the Trip screen on the dash. I like to see it so I know how much energy I was using since charged, since trip started, life time, etc... I don't really want to have to bring it up the big screen to look at them.

Yes the 3D screen is way cool, but we only used it twice since delivery in Dec. Because what good is the nice looking screen when you don't get the WAZE's instant traffic rerouting info, cops alert, etc... can't live without WAZE!

I think the bigger problem for me between the S and the 3 would be the autopilot stick. I got really used to the autopilot stick. You do have to turn it off/on quite often and adjust speed too. It is really easy on the stick. I am not sure I want to do that reaching over the screen all the time. They should have kept the stick. I also have the Trip screen on the dash. I like to see it so I know how much energy I was using since charged, since trip started, life time, etc... I don't really want to have to bring it up the big screen to look at them.

Just to be clear, start and stop is still on the stalk, it's only adjust speed (and following distance) that has moved to the screen.

I've been going through a similar decision process and put in a Model 3 reservation on release day to keep my options open. The difference is that I already had my CPO S60. I've considered trading in my S60 for a bigger battery CPO Model S or for a new Model 3, the reason being that I am nearing the end of my warranty (only 12k miles to go) and the S60 takes more than twice as long to Supercharge as bigger battery cars. [Unlike most people here, the majority of my miles are long road trips, so Supercharging speed and range are a really big deal for me.]

As I learned more about the Model 3, I realized that I liked almost everything about the Model S better than the 3, ranging from the kludgy phone as key (I don't usually carry my phone with me all the time and Android 4.4 might not work anyway), to the lack of instrumentation, lack of free Supercharging (a big deal for me, of course), and many other factors. The main advantage of the 3 is the much greater energy efficiency, range, and somewhat lower price, given my state tax credit (I don't qualify for the federal tax credit). I made up a list of pros and cons and, for my preferences, the S wins hands down. However, a brand new 3 would be fun; I can't remotely afford a new S.

At present I am leaning toward just keeping my S60 out of warranty — despite several significant warranty repairs it has been very solid — and just living with the slow Supercharging and the careful driving required on very long trip legs. Figures to be cheaper in the long run and I can reevaluate next year.

Next month, however, that decision might change!
On the phone thing, all you should need would be a compatible Android device. Might not even need to be a phone, since it works via Bluetooth. There are already tiny phones out there, so maybe successful Model 3 could lead to fob devices.

But maybe there needs to be a compatibility wiki.